JetBeam RRT-0 Raptor review

mchlwise

Enlightened
Yesterday I received a JetBeam RRT-0 Raptor, generously provided by Flavio of www.bugoutgearusa.com for a "real world" review.

Now that I've had a day and a half to use it under a variety of conditions, here is what I've found:

Background:

I grew up in Los Angeles, and was living about 15 miles from the epicenter of the Jan. 1994 Northridge earthquake. The earthquake struck at about 4:30 a.m., well before the sun would come up, and plunged the entire southern half of California into a blackout. When the shaking stopped, I had a screaming and crying 3-year-old daughter in the next room and no way to see obstacles or dangers as I stumbled through the rubble of my home to try to get to her without a flashlight.

Since then, I've learned to never be without an easily-accessible flashlight 24/7, and I've followed with great interest the development of LED technology - particularly high-output LED flashlights.

My first introduction to JetBeam came about 3 years ago when they released one of their first lights, the Jet-1. It was somewhat of a ground-breaking light, and one that I was particularly attracted to, because it could run on either a CR123 cell or a standard AA battery, depending on which inter-changeable body you screwed the head of the light onto:

I've owned over 20 flashlights since then, from makers such as Surefire, Fenix, Nitecore, Lightflux, Dorcy, RiverRock, etc., and still consider the Jet-1 one of the best flashlights ever made.

Some of my major considerations for a flashlight are that it (obviously) be very bright when I want it to be, that it be reasonably efficient and have multiple easily-accessible modes, and perhaps most important of all, that it's easy to "feed". This usually means that it uses AA batteries, because in an emergency you can yank them out of your t.v. remote and have continued light. The downside, of course, is that lithium CR123's pack a lot more punch. An ideal flashlight would be able to run on either.

JetBeam RRT-0 Raptor

One of JetBeam's latest offerings is the RRT-0 Raptor, part of JetBeam's "Rapid Response Tactical" series. "Rapid Response" refers to the ability to quickly change between light levels via the selector ring.

First impressions

My first impressions of this light are that it's not just an average flashlight, it is a serious tool.

The light comes packed in foam in a handsome (cardboard) box with a magnetic closure, along with an instruction manual, warranty card, removable pocket clip, lanyard, spare o-rings, and tailcap boot. My light also came with the AA extender, which I believe is an optional accessory sold separately. The extender is "plug-and-play" - the light includes sophisticated circuitry designed to recognize and efficiently use whatever power-source you supply it with (more on this circuitry later).

The Raptor has an aluminum body, with military-grade hard anodizing in a dark grey, slightly greenish finish. The front bezel which holds in the glass lens is stainless steel, as is the ring at the tail which covers the switch and the selector ring. The threads of the head of the light are brass, and they are square threads (as opposed to more common "sharp" threads). It is waterproof to IPX8 standard, and impact resistant to milspec 810F.

The light utilizes a Cree R2 emitter, and the manual specifies that outputs are as follows (in lumens x hours):

CR123 - 240 x .75, 50 x 7.5, 25 x 12, 10 x 20, 1 x 100

AA - 180 x .75, 50 x 5, 25 x 10, 10 x 15, 1 x 80

I don't have the means to test JetBeam's claims in this regard, so your mileage may vary.

The light is somewhat "beefy", and will certainly never win awards for it's small size. The head alone is about 1.5 times the length of a CR123 cell, and the body is even longer. The head houses a largeish and deep reflector and the body includes a fairly deep guard around the switch which allows the light to stand on its tail.

The AA adapter is a straight-forward aluminum spacer milled to create additional heat-sinking capacity on the outside, and to take up the difference in diameter between a AA and a 123 on the inside.

There are o-rings at the joint(s) to ensure water resistance.

Function

The RRT-0 is a multi-mode, 5-level light with a tactical "forward clickie", momentary tailswitch. A slight press on the switch gives you light for as long as the switch is held. A little more pressure, and the switch clicks keeping the light on after the switch is released (until it is clicked again).

Modes are selected via the stainless steel selector ring at the head of the light. When using the light in a normal position (pointed away from you, looking at the tailcap) turning the ring clockwise increases brightness, and counter-clockwise decreases. I think of it as being similar to a volume knob on a radio. If I want more light, I simply "turn it up". Although this is a 5-level light, the selector ring has only 4 positions. The fifth level is an alternating low level between "low" and "lower low". When you move the selector to the lowest position, it will be the last low position you selected. To change from "low" to "lower low" or vice-versa, you simply move the selector quickly from low to "medium low" (or further) and back to low again.

I found use of the light to be very natural and intuitive. A feature I particularly liked was the ability to select the level with the light off. I could see use for this in numerous situations where you may have used the light say at it's highest level, but then want to be stealthy and use the light at a lower level. Other multi-level lights must be turned on and then cycled to the level desired, but the JetBeam's selector ring allows you to know exactly what level you will get before pressing the switch.

The brightness and "throw" of the RRT-0 is indeed impressive. I compared it to another tactical flashlight I own - a Fenix TK10. The Fenix is a two-cell light with a very impressive output, but it is matched by the RRT-0. The Fenix is advertised to put out 225 lumens, and side-by-side in an outdoor night comparison I would consider their output roughly equal. Runtime on a single battery will probably never compare to runtime of two combined batteries, but for the RRT-0 to put out the same amount of light was very impressive to me.

Output on a AA is obviously lower, but the ease-of-use and ability to quickly switch between battery types scores lots of points in my book.

"Issues"

As with any invention, the RRT-0 is subject to a certain level of opinion and criticism, and you will have to decide for yourself if it's imperfections are a deal-breaker or not.

Voltage
In their quest to make a light which can utilize any battery that can fit inside it, JetBeam has run slightly afoul of battery chemistry. CR123 cells and rechargeable RCR123 cells run on slightly different voltages, the RCR123s being higher. CR123's themselves vary in voltage with their nominal "running" voltage being just over 3 volts. When the cells are brand-new, however, the voltage is slightly higher and can "overlap" a bit into the low part of the voltage range of a rechargeable cell. The problem this causes is that for a brief period when a new battery is placed in the light, the light believes that it is in fact a discharged rechargeable battery and will come on only in lowest-low mode to protect what it thinks is a rechargeable cell from over-discharge. When I received the light along with a brand-new CR123, I had to leave the light on (in it's low mode, no other modes were available) for about 90 seconds until the battery voltage dropped slightly. I turned it off and back on, and the light then recognized the battery as a new cell and not a discharged rechargeable. For me, "breaking in" a new battery for a minute-and-a-half isn't a big deal, but some may be upset with the inability to simply "throw in a new cell and go".

Pre-flash
The other issue is a bright flash which occasionally appears for a fraction of a second before the light comes on at a low level. This can be distracting, annoying, and/or dangerous - but I believe it is avoidable and primarily caused by the user.

When the button is pressed, there is an almost imperceptible delay of a small fraction of a second before the light comes on. I believe the circuitry is "spooling up" for lack of a better term. If you press the switch slightly (not enough to click it) and release very quickly, the switch can make and then break contact before the light actually comes on. The next time the switch is pressed, the energy from the first press is still in the capacitor, so the emitter gets a brief "double shot" of juice and flashes at a higher level. At least that is my theory on what causes the flash. I have been able to consistently get a flash by quickly pressing and releasing the switch at varying levels, and I have been able to consistently avoid the flash by pressing steadily and with "commitment".

Cree Rings
The Cree emitters, which are used in the RRT-0, are notorious for being "ringy". When viewed on a light, solid background such as a white wall, the center "hotspot" is surrounded by a slightly darker ring, then a slightly yellowish tinted ring, followed by the wide spill-beam. The orange-peel in the reflector blurs the lines somewhat between the rings, but they are still visible if you are looking for them. In my real-world experience, they are unnoticeable and not an issue.

Conclusion

I've used a LOT of different kinds of flashlights, including various JetBeam models, and this is by far the best light I have had the pleasure of using. It is not without it's opportunity for criticisms, as discussed above, but it is nearer to perfect than any other light available that I am familiar with - as far as I am concerned. Some people may wish it had strobe or S.O.S. functions, but I prefer not to have them.

For a no-nonsense, versatile, dependable, tactical light, I think the JetBeam RRT-0 is going to be hard to beat.

Last edited:

Alberta-Blue

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your review... Very informative and objecive.

For all you Tactical Operators/LEO's... make sure you "prime" your CR123A's before you need your RRT-0. I didn't. Although I was just showing off my new "toy" at the time, it was a brief WTF moment that could have been ALOT worse had I not found out about this minor issue.

EDIT:
The OP reflector absolutly rocks! The beam on mine is very smooth (more then I expected) and only has a very faint ring on the wall and is almost completely invisable in real usage in the yard.

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review mchlwise, I agree with all your comments except that I do not like at all the ringy beam provided by the SMO reflector that is fitted on my RRT-0 and I will be trying to get an OP one as soon as possible. ;)

Bass

Enlightened
That is a great review. Nicely balanced and informative. Thanks.

rastaman

Newly Enlightened
Voltage
In their quest to make a light which can utilize any battery that can fit inside it, JetBeam has run slightly afoul of battery chemistry. CR123 cells and rechargeable RCR123 cells run on slightly different voltages, the RCR123s being higher. CR123's themselves vary in voltage with their nominal "running" voltage being about 3.7. When the cells are brand-new, however, they are slightly higher and overlap slightly with the voltage of a rechargeable cell. The problem this causes is that for a brief period when a new battery is placed in the light, the light believes that it is in fact a discharged rechargeable battery and will come on only in lowest-low mode to protect the cell from over-discharge. When I received the light along with a brand-new CR123, I had to leave the light on (in it's low mode, no other modes were available) for about 90 seconds until the battery voltage dropped slightly and the light then recognized the battery as a new cell and not a discharged rechargeable. For me, "breaking in" a new battery for a minute-and-a-half isn't a big deal, but some may be upset with the inability to simply "throw in a new cell and go".

this is false. the running voltage of cr123a is 3V.

3.7 is for LIR 16340.

mchlwise

Enlightened
this is false. the running voltage of cr123a is 3V.

3.7 is for LIR 16340.

Thanks for the correction. I made an edit in that regard and some slight clarifications on that issue.

Last edited:

rhpdchief

Newly Enlightened
GREAT REVIEW :twothumbs

I also got mine from Bugoutgear. I haven't experienced any issues due to battery confusion but if it happens I agree with you that it seems very simple to deal with.

Bright preflash seems to be a factor right now for some lights. I can make mine give a bright preflash if I quickly and repeatedly stab at the button like I'm trying to self-strobe the light. in that case it happens about 30 percent of the time on a primary cell and even less on a rechargeable cell. In any normal use where the light is off for at least a half a second between presses it never happens. Other members have reported different results though so I hope the issue gets resolved to everyone's satisfaction.

I would also note that the 5 level/4 settings selector ring works really well. I prefer the low low setting and leave mine there all the time. I can still get to the "hidden" low mode with a simple click up and back if I want it. The real benefit for me over a 5 level/5 setting ring is that I can twist through the entire range from low to max and vice versa with a single twist of the selector ring. I have normal sized hands and I think it might take at least two twists if there were 5 settings. I really like what Jetbeam did here!

Anyway, great review of a great light!

Konad

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review. Good job!

The initial issues I had with this light are pretty much resolved. The biggest being the rings. The OP reflector has solved that. It still has impressive throw for a single 123 cell.

The preflash on my light is mainly on high with repeated activation. If I wait 2-3 seconds before pressing the switch, no flash. A non issue now.

Like most of us, I have purchased many lights. The ones I dont like I give away or sell. The ones I like, I keep. This one stays!

lightmyway

Newly Enlightened
Received my RR0 yesterday,a excellent addition to my addiction,All this talk about Preflash i have tried repeatedly using the switch to see what others are seeing, i failed to see any preflash, i can however cause it to preflash if i rotate the flashlight body to switch on and off.Perhaps others are having a contact problem.

lightheart

Newly Enlightened
good review except you didnt mention how cheesy the clip is..i love this light and i love jetbeam..it just blows me away that a company could make such an amazing high quality light and sell it with a bogus crappy clip?....i sure hope jetbeam or another cpfer makes a new clip so i can carry this every day..i know many of you carry a light w/o a clip but i know there are just as many or more like me that wont carry a light without a quality clip that feels secure...oh well back to my d10 for now

jonesy

Enlightened
Anyone have some pics on how the clip mounts or what it even looks like? I have yet to see a good shot of just how "cheesy" it is.

How solid is the control ring? Does it feel like it will loosen up in a few months/ years? I'm a fan of bulletproof things that won't die on me if slightly abused, and this seems like the weakest link.

I've been waiting for a long time for a light like this to be released that has dual cell capability, variable power control ring, and a clicky, as well as a goodly number of lumens, as well as a bezel down clip. It's funny that Jet Beam has beaten surefire to the punch, as they have had all the pieces laying around for many years (no single celled U2? why not?), just haven't had the will to put them together I guess. If this RRT-0 holds up and comes in a neutral tint sign me up!

lightmyway

Newly Enlightened
Pic of Clip,I.m not a big fan of clips but it looks like it get the job done my only concern would be wear on the body from repeatedly removing and reinstalling, The control ring is tight and positive.
60b406d44bc46de14e8cac0974eb45c7.jpg

mchlwise

Enlightened
good review except you didnt mention how cheesy the clip is

Thanks.

I'm actually neutral about the clip. At first I didn't like how it just clips onto the light, but as I thought about it I couldn't find another solution for a bezel-down clip. The body is solid with the switch retaining ring inside the tail instead of a removable tailcap. This doesn't leave much of an option for installing a clip. The other good thing about the clip is that it can be installed as in the picture above, or reversed and installed more toward the tail for bezel down carry.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
About time they made a light that even I can figure out how to use. I have the Pro III and I'm too stupid to use it :(

Gonna have to sell it. Too bad 'cause the light is friggin' stunning and super well built.

I'm getting one of these though when I get money. Another reason I like my small nitecores. Just hold the button down in the back till you get the right level and release, super simple.

All these complicated interfaces get on my damn nerves!

GEorge

Chaz

Newly Enlightened
It is surprising that Jetbeam includes a clip with a quality flashlight that will not fit on the light properly. If you look closely at the above picture of the clip from lightmyway you can see that the clip does not fit properly against the body. The recurve part pushes against the body and tilts the clip out slightly. If the clip is put on the other way for bezel down carry, the flange on the tail tilts the clip even more since it sticks out more. I had to spend considerable time bending the clip so that the recurve would allow the clip to fit flat on the body. Then the clip part was too tight and had to be bent out some in order to be able to clip it to a shirt or pant pocket. I did this because it seemed that the clip would not be as secure on the body in the tilted state as it would be if it were flat against the body.

lightheart

Newly Enlightened
the clip definitely does NOT fit right the curved part does not sit flush with the body..i too had to spend time bending it it many ways to get it to fit better.....this is a bummer on such a nice light..why not use a clip like the nitecore d10..there are holes on the top where it could screw in...anyone that finds a solution let me know..

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
the clip definitely does NOT fit right the curved part does not sit flush with the body..i too had to spend time bending it it many ways to get it to fit better.....this is a bummer on such a nice light..why not use a clip like the nitecore d10..there are holes on the top where it could screw in...anyone that finds a solution let me know..

Me too please 'cause I plan on getting one of these.

Thanks guys

George