Rant: This was supposed to be what shelf retirement was for

Qoose

Enlightened
So the backstory. Some time ago, I decided that I needed to rekindle the 8 year old flashaholic in me that oogled at the flashlights hanging in their shiny clamshells at our local hardware store. All I really had at the time was a mag solitare knockoff and a decent but huge Dewalt 12V lamp. After researching like mad (largely on CPF, thanks all!), I finally settled on the Surefire L1. It was a great first light for my jump into true flashaholism.

Package hit my door, almost hugged the UPS woman, and then the L1 went everywhere with me. I quickly adopted the EDC way of life, and I used it almost every day. It went on my long hikes at night into the forest with my dog, who is no longer with me (he's still alive, just needed a better place). It went snowboarding with me over the moguls and down the diamonds at night. It was with me all the time, helped pull wierd things out of my car chasis that I couldn't see, poking through little spaces finding critters, and of course let me not stumble my way into my bedroom after I hit the lights.

Newer technologies came about, and I finally gave in, switching it out of EDC duty and onto my desk. On one hand it's a great place for an emergency grab light (Red Cross affiliations recommend a light by where you sleep/spend the most time, and I would trust my L1 in the event of an emergency). But a large part of this was because I didn't want to lose it doing a handstand somewhere or having it get caught and lost in the bushes. It had it's share of character marks, and had a pretty good life. I wanted it to stay safe on my desk, ready to go, but enjoying retirement. I was pretty happy with what I had, which was good since I don't expect my tiny collection to grow any while I'm in college.

Well, I got back from a hiking trip, and was refreshing all of my cells in the lights that I took with me. I decided to check up on my old friend, maybe give it a fresh cell. Got back to my desk and started looking around.

It's gone. I've searched everyone for it, but I have no clue where it went. I've spent days tearing through every pack and drawer I own, asking anyone who I possibly could have lent it to (which was never). Words cannot describe the anger and sadness I feel. It's one thing to lose a decently pricey torch, being on a pretty tight budget going to a very expensive college, but to lose my very first real flashlight, really hits another level. The metal might be able to be replaced, but the memories are another story.

Anyway, that was a bit of a rant. Thanks for reading, and I hope not many of you have to know what it's like to lose something like this.

R@ndom

Enlightened
Aww man! Only thing that can help is a flashlight buying binge. Then the night after sell all of them.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Not implying anything but ... Who lives with you?

Maybe a family member borrowed it, and forgot to put it back on your desk.

Qoose

Enlightened
@tmg, Nope, I don't even really have a closet to look in, so it's not hiding there. Definitely not a doggy door either, and even then, I don't see why the racoon would go for the light vs something better in the room.

@monocrom, I've asked everyone that lives around me, anyone who has been in my room, and every single one of my friends. They all know that I'm missing my gray L1 with the braided lanyard.

MiniMag_Crazy_Greg

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for your loss, did you happen to check your winter/snow boarding jacket? I've packed mine away in the spring only to find treasures hidden in mine the following winter when it was time to break it out again!! Good luck and hope you find it.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sucks to hear that you lost your L1.
They are a great little light, and being your first real one I feel for you.

glee46

Newly Enlightened
The cleaning lady snagged my 20 year old Mag rechargeable. Before anyone thinks, "Well if he can afford a cleaning lady, then he can buy a new one" I'm disabled and the lady is sent by the state to keep me from having to live and drool in a nursing home. Anyway, I told her if I find the person who took my Mag, that I will put a whole new meaning to light at the end of the tunnel after inserting, shoving, and pounding it up their backside. :candle:
On the bright side, I have a Fenix TK 30 coming this week.

Glee

jdb

Newly Enlightened
"Objets inanimés, avez-vous donc une âme,
"qui s'attache à notre âme et la force d'aimer ?
"
- A. de LAMARTINE, in "Milly ou la terre natale"

"Inanimate objects, do you have thus a soul
wich* attached to our soul and compelled to love it* ?" :mecry:
(translation with no garranty, with Google's contribution...)
*that ? her ?

:)

Last edited:

Coaster

Newly Enlightened
It will probably turn up.

I lost a 3D Mag in my backpack I carry every day. I swore it was in there and I looked 3 times. Turns out it got stuck in a weird spot in the bag, the only reason I found it was I had everything else out of the bag and I could feel it in there since the bag wouldn't flex.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
That sucks, man. It would bum me to lose any light, much less my L1. Only thing to do now, if you're sure it's gone, is find that cool replacement that will let you forget your loss.

Geoff

C-Beam

Newly Enlightened
It will probably turn up.

I lost a 3D Mag in my backpack I carry every day. I swore it was in there and I looked 3 times. Turns out it got stuck in a weird spot in the bag, the only reason I found it was I had everything else out of the bag and I could feel it in there since the bag wouldn't flex.

I've done worse! A friend let me borrow his $200 Surefire weapon light for a night of varminting...I pulled it off my AR threw it in my pack on the way back and forgot about it. We couldn't find it for weeks. I assured him it was in his house somewhere. Then one morning I put a fresh water bladder behind the kydex divider in my pack and hit something...yeah. Fortunately he was forgiving. But now he has two $200 lights because he bought a replacement before I found it. :rolleyes:

Qoose

Enlightened
Yeah, I'm hoping it might turn up, but I'm pretty used to changing rooms. I basically move every single one of my possessions to storage/new room on an bi-annual basis, so every rock that can be turned, has. As my friend put it, "it's kinda amazing seeing all of your life's possessions in a 4 ft^3 pile". And yeah, I'm not buying a 'replacement' until I graduate.

post tenebras

Enlightened
A couple of weeks ago, my E2DL disappeared. I was 95% certain it was on the dresser in the bedroom where we had a handyman doing some work one Saturday. I searched, unsuccessfully, the house and cars, looking in every possible place where I could have put it.

The next morning, I noticed a light in the back of my 3-year old's Cozy Coupe police car in the basement. He had helped himself to daddy's light to look for a toy, then left it (on of course) in the back of his patrol car.

I felt very guilty assuming the handyman had helped himself to my nice SureFire. I'm also much more careful now about leaving my more powerful lights within my son's reach.;)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
A couple of weeks ago, my E2DL disappeared. I was 95% certain it was on the dresser in the bedroom where we had a handyman doing some work one Saturday. I searched, unsuccessfully, the house and cars, looking in every possible place where I could have put it.

The next morning, I noticed a light in the back of my 3-year old's Cozy Coupe police car in the basement. He had helped himself to daddy's light to look for a toy, then left it (on of course) in the back of his patrol car.

I felt very guilty assuming the handyman had helped himself to my nice SureFire. I'm also much more careful now about leaving my more powerful lights within my son's reach.;)

Any time I have someone come to my home to fix my comp, or my internet, or my cable connection, or to make a repair; I hide my best lights. If someone wants to steal one of my (stock) Maglites that get left out in the open, I don't give a $#^%!

Besides, some companies hire ex-cons who took courses while in prison. They get out, and get hired as technicians who vist homes of customers. Some made mistakes in Life, and are truly trying to make an honest buck. Others aren't. You never know who shows up to your home. In your case, it was an honest guy.

BTW, get your son his own flashlight. Something cheap and dim ... Maybe a mini-mag that's been left on for an hour. ;)

maskman

Newly Enlightened
Has hubbytubbies girlfriend been doing your laundry. Errr...never mind. It's a long shot, but have you looked in the washer,drier and clothes hamper?:candle:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Number one place that sucks inanimate objects into hiding: Under your car seat or around it. I swore I looked many times here only to find something months later.
Number two place - under chair/couch cushions and in cracks in the chair/couch.
Hope you find it. Maybe you need a flashlight in the mean time to help you look :whistle:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
He has two blue plastic Dorcys. I guess he's old enough to realize, when you need a light for serious work, you grab a SureFire! :D

LOL !

That's great! You should submit that story to Surefire. Who knows, you might even win the monthly contest. Call it, "Even children know that you always reach for a Surefire."

That's one bright son you have there. (No pun intended).