least expensive 700+ lumen thrower

MustardMan

Newly Enlightened
As the title says, I'm looking for a 700+ lumen bright light, and really all I care about is the "wow" factor of a serious thrower. The exact batteries it takes are unimportant, although I'd like it to be something that's reasonably available from retail stores - ie not requiring specialized rechargeables.

So what are some of the least expensive, but still seriously bright 700+ lumen throwers?

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
As the title says, I'm looking for a 700+ lumen bright light, and really all I care about is the "wow" factor of a serious thrower. The exact batteries it takes are unimportant, although I'd like it to be something that's reasonably available from retail stores - ie not requiring specialized rechargeables.

So what are some of the least expensive, but still seriously bright 700+ lumen throwers?

Does it have to be LED?

You can build a M*g incan HOTWIRE with 700+ lumens for less than $75.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Building your own direct drive P7, MC-E, or SST-50 light could be cheaper if you already have a 3 cell maglite.

MustardMan

Newly Enlightened
I guess I should have been more specific - I do have a 4D and 5D maglite, but I want something slightly more portable than that. Actually, I have been planning to mod those at some point down the line, but am focusing on new lights for right now.

The MG RX-1 is looking mighty tempting.

LEDobsession

Enlightened
If you're not too picky about the brand and slow shipping, this works.

This was my solution to the same thing you're looking for. I don't know if you'd be interested in it because it does require 1 18650. You can also pick them up cheap on DX as well as a decent charger for them.

Hope this helps a little. :shrug:
:thumbsup:

Kubbie

Newly Enlightened
Both lights require Li-ion rechargeable batteries (18650) and if he's comfortable and knowledgeable about using them it should be no issues. It is recommended that you purchase a good charger (the Pila IBC is highly recommended).

New guy here. Where do I find this info? I have a 18650 light in transit and have not owned/used Li-ion before. Sorry for the jack.

ckc

Newly Enlightened
Building your own direct drive P7, MC-E, or SST-50 light could be cheaper if you already have a 3 cell maglite.

Do you have any good links for us newbies who may wish to look to doing something like this..

pipspeak

Enlightened
what about a P7 or MCE mag dropin using fivemega AA battery holders? Would that get up to 700 lumens?

bogeymachine

Newly Enlightened
These are pretty hard to find these days, do you know somewhere selling them?

jake25 might have leftovers (Solarforce L-9xx)...

I went through a similar search last year and ended up purchasing a Romi t-6. I'm happy with it but, today I would be more inclined towards a multi-die LED (rather than multiple LED configuration) - not as many things to go wrong.

enjoy your quest...keep us posted!

bogey out

MustardMan

Newly Enlightened
So since there were so many votes for the MG RX-1, I went ahead and ordered it. Looking forward to checking this one out! Thanks ya'll.