Best Bang for Buck Drop in Upgrade to 3-4 cell MAG?

TXlight

Newly Enlightened
What drop-in LED upgrade module/s would give the most light output for a 3 or 4 cell Maglite? Also, what modules would give the best bang for the buck?

Assuming no other mods to the flashlight needed and use of normal alkaline batteries.

I'm a newbie, so if there are any bad assumptions here, please let me know.

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:Lots of answers if you use the search function.

Nihm batteries are much better for performance flashlights than alkaline, so use of alk. is a bad requirement if you can avoid it.

Simplest 3 D cell is to turn tailspring up side down and put 4 C cells in the light. You'll overdrive bulb a bit and it's reported to be a pleasingly simple intro.

Use search, when you're knew everything has been answered dozens of time before, and there's no need for you to wait for your answer because they're already written.
:)

Greg G

Enlightened
I've built 3D Mags for several of my neighbors. Direct drive and alks for reliability is how I do them.

I've built several P7 lights. They don't reach full lumens on alks of course, but still MUCH brighter than the recipient is accustomed to. This is an easy build. H22A heatsink, P7 from Photnfanatic, and a P7 reflector from one of the Hongkong dealers.

The last direct drive/alk build I did was with 3 low Vf Cree WG R2's with 18mm light orange peel reflectors. It surprised me. Very bright. The man I gave it to had it taken away by his wife, she liked it that much. :devil: They live out in the country and she likes a good light to check the yard out for snakes before she lets their dogs out at night to *potty*. So I have to build him a new one. :D

I think the next one I do will be with 3 or 4 XP-E or XP-G Cree's, depending how low the Vf is I'll use 4.

Pummy

Newly Enlightened
Agree totally with the above. In order of cost, low to high...

1) 4C cells to overdrive the bulb
2) TerraLux LED bulb dropin upgrade
3) P7 / MC-E emitter on H22A heatsink directly driven from 3 NiMH Cells

I built option three and was pleasantly suprised how bright it was and cheap to put together.