New Fenix PD20+ (vs PD20)

superpila

Newly Enlightened
I just received the new Fenix PD20, codename PD20+, featuring, among the other improvements, an XP-E R2 in place of the XR-E Q5.
The flashlight comes in the same package of the old PD20, with pretty much the same stuff inside the box: spare button and o-ring, the holster and a lanyard.

I have both the smooth and OP reflector versions of the regular PD20, so I decided to post some pictures. Here we go...

The box and its content:
img6470l.jpg

Regular PD20 on the left, PD20+ on the right:
img6477b.jpg

Reflectors. PD20 on the left, PD20+ on the right:
img6479w.jpg

PD20+, details of the XP-E R2:
img6480.jpg

The clip:
img6482.jpg

Details of the threads, heads removed. PD20+ on the left, PD20 on the right:
img6489d.jpg

Now on with the beamshots.

PD20 OP reflector on the left, PD20+ on the right:
img6491e.jpg

PD20 smooth reflector on the left, PD20+ on the right:
img6492.jpg

The new PD20+ is supposed to be slightly brighter than the old version, being advertised as 190 lumens VS 180 of the PD20. I trust Fenix on this as I don't have a lux-meter. Certainly, the new flashlight doesn't seem less bright than the old one.
Another noticeable change is that the tailcap cannot be removed. In order to replace the battery you must remove the head. On the other hand, threading on PD20+ is much better, and the head unscrews and screws back very smoothly. Lack of a removable tailcap probably allowed Fenix to gain some millimeter, infact the PD20+ is slightly shorter than the PD20. One last improvement is the clip. It's very solid and can be removed. The flashlight can tailstand both with and without the clip.

Enough with compliments, on with the cons:

- The new threading means that you cannot use LD20/LD10 body (don't know about LD20+/LD10+).
- There's some knurling on the head to allow better grip, but this means that the Fenix diffuser can no longer be used, as the head is slightly larger than PD20's head (tested with mine)! Why, oh why?
- Rechargeables don't work properly: the flashlight looses modes if you run 3.7V batteries in it, as with the regular PD20. It seems like Fenix is not listening to us on this regard.
-The flashlight is advertised by Fenix as a small thrower (the box says max 135 meters lighting distance), but truth is that PD20+ throws less than regular PD20. Again, I cannot make precise measures but on a subjective evaluation, both the PD20 smooth and PD20 OP outthrow the PD20+.

Overall, I'm not impressed with this new flashlight. It's not a bad flashlight, but definitely not an improvement over the old PD20 either, IMOH. You'll pay less for the PD20 which is still a good choice, especially If you have spare LD10/20 bodies or the Fenix diffuser.

ZRXBILL

Enlightened
Looks like the original will be the better thrower. I now I was surprised how far my PD20 would throw.

lwt210

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone confirm that the new PD30+ has the same size head as the original PD20 and PD30?

I am looking to get one and it MUST be compatable with the Fenix orange traffic wand.

Also, can the tail be removed from the PD30+? That may be a deal breaker if it is not.

Thanks.

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
i like the new body design of the pd20+. the pd20 didnt look good to me...

thanks for the comparison!

superpila

Newly Enlightened
Will it go into low mode with a RCR?

No, it doesn't. The PD20+, just like its predecessor PD20, goes TURBO no matter the mode you select. When the battery discharges at approx 3.3V you get modes back.
It's definitely intended to run on primaries.

Lord Bear

Enlightened
Whew! Don't have to buy another light. Clip not too important so I can live without that. Had Fenix improved output and throw I might have been tempted to. Thanks for the info since I had been wondering. :wave:

Moondancer

Newly Enlightened
Good review and consistent with what I saw with mine. I just got the PD20+ in the mail on Wednesday and immediately put a battery in to test it out.
Fired up the old PD20 and the new PD20+ side by side.
:thumbsdowWow, was I disappointed.
Now, I've decided I'm going to give the new PD20+ away as a Christmas gift and keep my old PD20. :laughing:
I'm thinking now about finding a source for the old PD20 somewhere and buying a couple more of them for future use.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
I quite like the look of this light. If it's a bit less throwy and more floody/spilly I think I'll like it for EDC.

I'm after a 123A light so I think I'll order one of these.

Thanks for the quick rundown on the light!

C-Beam

Newly Enlightened
Whew! Don't have to buy another light. Clip not too important so I can live without that. Had Fenix improved output and throw I might have been tempted to. Thanks for the info since I had been wondering. :wave:

For an EDC light of this size, I'm glad they went with more spill. It's not like the average user is using it to spot varmints across a field.

alanjeep

Newly Enlightened
I received my P2D0+ a few days ago and I am very happy with the light. I have been waiting for this light for a long time. The fit and finish are better than I expected. The emitter is centered better then any other Fenix I own. The build IMO is better than the P1,P1D,P2D, and P3D. (the only other Fenix's I own)

I was concerned that the clip would feel cheap since it lacks screws, but it fits very tightly around the body.

As far as the beam focus issues, I prefer more flood out of a small edc light.
I am shocked by the lack of intrest in this light.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
For an EDC light of this size, I'm glad they went with more spill. It's not like the average user is using it to spot varmints across a field.

As far as the beam focus issues, I prefer more flood out of a small edc light.
I am shocked by the lack of intrest in this light.

These are my sentiments exactly, I like a bit more peripheral vision when using an EDC, I don't think I'd ever be using it for long throw really. I have other lights that are more suited to that.

I'm just torn between one of these and the Quark123 clip-less now. The "PD20+" seems to have nice spill from the beamshots I saw, but the Quark's runtime on low looks rather attractive too....

EDIT:
Going by the beamshots here the Quark seems to have good spill too https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3003813&postcount=4

Last edited:

Flic

Enlightened
And the latest Quarks have an XP-G R5 emitter which should provide a larger hot spot and brighter spill.

alanjeep

Newly Enlightened
These are my sentiments exactly, I like a bit more peripheral vision when using an EDC, I don't think I'd ever be using it for long throw really. I have other lights that are more suited to that.

I'm just torn between one of these and the Quark123 clip-less now. The "PD20+" seems to have nice spill from the beamshots I saw, but the Quark's runtime on low looks rather attractive too....

EDIT:
Going by the beamshots here the Quark seems to have good spill too https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3003813&postcount=4

I wonder if those beamshots are the PD20 or PD20+ ?

The official name of the new Fenix is still PD20, I think?

batmanacw

Enlightened
I am also going to go against the grain here an say that I would like the wider hot spot. Better for working on cars and such.

A very tight hot spot gives better throw, but it is not a work light.

One thing I would like on this light would be a tighter orange peel on the reflector. The wider ripples gives a less smooth look to the light pattern.

Pontiaker

Enlightened
I have all kinds of lights old, new, $500, $5 but the Fenix PD20 is my all around favorite best bang for the buck light I have ever used or carried. I have tried at least 15 123 lights in this same size range and not a single one has been as bright or throw as far as my PD20. I am NOT impressed with the new XP-E R2 in the least bit. I have used a few lights with this new LED and the R2 has not been as bright or throw as far and the color tint I have seen is terrible. The shape of the "new" + model now looks like 15 or 20 other lights already on the market. The old version body shape is perfect for me.I have probably bought 20 of these lights for friends and gifted them to family, everyone who gets one loves it.

I'll stick with the old model.