hunting flashlight

king0581

Newly Enlightened
Hello folks. I found this forum while doing some xmas gift searching for a new flashlight. I guess there is a forum for everything out there. HA HA. Anyways, I'm looking for a good light that shines a long ways and has decent battery life. I would prefer it to run off AA's or AAA's. Rechargeable would be fine too. I guess for a price range I would want to stay less than $100. The smaller the better. Is there such of a light. Any recommendations would be great. Thanks.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you've joined us! Browse around all the sub-forums at CPF and you're bound to find something that interests you, but think about the specific features and qualities that would be most important to you and you'll get plenty help in narrowing your search. Have fun.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an Eagletac 2AAlight. Excellent, 2 levels. THere are many powerful 2aa lights out...keep reading. Go to a few of the dealers and look. Fenix, Tiablo, Quark, ect...

oronocova

Enlightened
Everyone I know that hunts has been impressed with my iTP AAA light. It's hardly bigger than a AAA battery and puts out more light than a stock Maglite. It has a pocket clip that can be reversed to use as a headlamp on the bill of a baseball cap. You could get 5 of them for 100 bucks. So far I have converted dad, uncle, cousin's boyfriend. I have got mine from goinggear.com You should try one, I highly doubt you would be dissatisfied with it.

That said, I use a headlamp mostly for hunting I think it is much better to have your hands free while walking.

slappomatt

Newly Enlightened
the quark turbo AA2 would be pretty close to what your looking for. Its got pretty good throw, uses AA batteries and is around 75ish.

C-Beam

Newly Enlightened
Anyways, I'm looking for a good light that shines a long ways and has decent battery life. I would prefer it to run off AA's or AAA's.

Has good throw and long run time, but runs off of AAs? That's going to be hard to find.

TK40 I guess.

palomino77

Newly Enlightened
The Jetbeam-I Pro V3 EX 2 AA flashlight you can't go wrong best quality looks and throw. And if you want smaller the ITP A1 EOS AAA is great. get both for under 100.00 :twothumbs

Bronco

Enlightened
As a hunter, you may want to take a moment to consider the recently introduced 4Sevens branded Quark RGB LED flashlight. It misses on a couple of your stated requirements, such as beam pattern and the type of batteries it requires, but the upside on this one is huge. Neutral white, red, blue and green beams can all be had in a range of intensities from high output (approximately 150 lumens out the front) to nice dim lows.

Patriot

Flashaholic
As much as I like AAA lights I'll have to steer you away from them for use as a sole or main hunting light. As a bowhunter myself, I would never carry one as my only illumination tool. Frankly, they're just to small. For the price of the Maratac or ITP AAA, you should consider them for a back up light though.

Have a look at the Fenix LD20. It's a 2xAA light which give you plenty of duration, throw and overall flexibility. Stores nicely in any pack.

king0581

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. Now just tell your sister about a good light to get me for Christmas.
Everyone I know that hunts has been impressed with my iTP AAA light. It's hardly bigger than a AAA battery and puts out more light than a stock Maglite. It has a pocket clip that can be reversed to use as a headlamp on the bill of a baseball cap. You could get 5 of them for 100 bucks. So far I have converted dad, uncle, cousin's boyfriend. I have got mine from goinggear.com You should try one, I highly doubt you would be dissatisfied with it.

That said, I use a headlamp mostly for hunting I think it is much better to have your hands free while walking.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
How far do you need the light to throw?

The TK20 or the Eagletac P20A2 are both good choices. One is good throwing and has a neutral white tint, the other throws far for a 2AA light.

:welcome:

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a hunter, you may want to take a moment to consider the recently introduced 4Sevens branded Quark RGB LED flashlight. It misses on a couple of your stated requirements, such as beam pattern and the type of batteries it requires, but the upside on this one is huge. Neutral white, red, blue and green beams can all be had in a range of intensities from high output (approximately 150 lumens out the front) to nice dim lows.

Isn't the Quark RGB still on pre-order (according to 4seven's site it still is)? multi colour output is an excellent suggestion as I've read that some game (like deer) are unable to detect light in the red/green spectrum... perhaps a coloured lens filter could address that issue on a white/warm LED flashlight ;)

Fenix TK20. GREAT outdoor light.

Certainly a robust flashlight, there's some threads around here somewhere detailing just how much punishment they can be put through (spelunking) and still function 100%, if there is any detraction I could make about the TK20 it's that yellow coloured rubber grip thankfully there are alternatives :thumbsup:

I was going to suggest a preloved red/green A2 aviator but your battery specification rules out that option entirely, I can understand the AA choice as obtaining new cells is easier and cheaper than other lithium based cells :D

Last edited:

king0581

Newly Enlightened
How far do you need the light to throw?

The TK20 or the Eagletac P20A2 are both good choices. One is good throwing and has a neutral white tint, the other throws far for a 2AA light.

:welcome:
Not real sure. How far can I expect the TK20 to throw?
Whats everyones thoughts on the LD20?

fixitman

Newly Enlightened
outdoors, I recomend getting a light with a neutral tint
Fenix tk20
eagletac P10A2 (I have this one, and love it)
Quark 2AA with warm tint. Think only the tactical version is left though.

Headlamp
zebralight H501w (I have one, great headlamp)

The zebralight headlamp and Eagletac handheld are a great combo. I like the headlamp on low for walking the trail, and the handheld for distance viewing.
If I were to buy a 2aa light right now, it would probably be the Quark. Better throw than the eagletac, and you can program the brightness levels you like.
Hmmmmm, might be time to buy the warm tactical head, since I already have a AA body.....

The warmer tint lights make browns and reds show up better than the more common cooler tints.

oronocova

Enlightened
Hahaha took a little googling but I feel safe now saying for you to tell my sister hi. I can give her some good suggestions if you want. I don't have that TK20 but I have another Fenix light I haven't had any problems with.