• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SOLD: Triple MC-E Mag2C priced for the holidays

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
OK kids, here's the deal. I need some cash for the holidays, so I've decided to liquidate a shelf queen that I built some time ago. It's truly one of a kind; a real compact LED monster - ~2100 Lumen from a Mag 2C with up to 45 minutes of total runtime on AW IMR26500 batteries. (Batteries not included.) Check out the details below.

My price is barely more than cost of the parts. Same price, cash or credit, no 4% PP surcharge, free shipping to anywhere in the US. International shipping charge would be additional actual cost of whatever shipping method used. Insurance required. Will ship to PayPal confirmed shipping address only.

$150.00 USD

PayPal address: techjunkie (at) iname (dot) com

Check feedback/reputation of techjunkie on eBay.com and TheRealTechjunkie on iOffer.com

First "I'll take it" post gets it and has three days to pay in full via PayPal or it goes to the next in line.

Details:

Host:
  • Pewter Mag 2C host
  • Glass lens
  • Honed for 2x IMR 26500 fitment
  • Tailcap modded for 2x18650 fitment
  • Includes both tailsprings and 18650 sleeve
  • Batteries not included
Light engine:
  • Perfect tri-sink
  • 3x CREE MC-E k-bin WC tint emitters on custom 2p2s MCPCB stars
  • 3x2p2s configuration (6p2s) 7.2Vf @ 4.5A
  • Stars mounted to sink with Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive
  • 3x 20mm Ledil Boom MC-E spot reflectors
  • Interchangeable resistance modules to accomodate different battery chemistries*:
    • 0.24 ohm resistance module (for use with IMR batteries)
    • 0 ohm module (for use with LiFePO4 batteries or drained IMR batteries)
  • Heavy gauge copper wire used inside light engine
  • Gold plated banana plug for pos connection, battery tube mates directly to tri-sink for negative connection
  • No delicate PCBs or IC chips to fail or burn out (driverless)
*Protected cells will not fit and Li-ion (LiCo chemistry) cells are not recommended considering the current drawn.

This is a rugged unregulated torch with only one mode. Brightness wanes as batteries deplete. There is no battery low voltage protection and it's still pretty damn bright even when the batteries are at 2.5V under load so test/charge your batteries frequently.

These k-bin WC tint MC-Es are very low Vf. Never use fully charged IMR batteries with the 0 resistance module or they will turn angry blue and after a short while you would cook them. The 0 resistance module is intended only to allow the use of LiFePO4 cells if/when you do not have IMR cells available to you.

Photos:

Finished product:
finishedproduct2.jpg

With 18650 sleeve and 0 resistance module shown:
finishedproduct.jpg

The head:
businessend.jpg

The host:
2Cpewterhost.jpg

Honed battery tube:
honedbatterytube.jpg

26500 fitment:
IMR26500fitment.jpg

26500 tailspring (18650 tailspring beneath it):
tailspring1.jpg

18650 tailcap mod:
tailspring2.jpg

18650 fitment with sleeve:
18650fitment2.jpg

18650 length:
18650fitment.jpg

3 x 2p2s stars, orientation modded for Ledil Boom spot reflectors and tri-sink:
preassembly3x2p2s.jpg

Light engine assembled. Plug is pos, base is neg:
thelightengine.jpg

Negative and thermal connection inside head:
negpathmatinginsidehead.jpg

Underside of head. Plug is pos, ring/base is neg:
undersideofheadplugposrinneg.jpg

IMR resistance module recipie:
resistancemodulerecipie.jpg

Top-side of torch. Center is positive, filed tube top is negative. Resistance module goes in cavity:
topendposctrnegring.jpg

Interchangeable resistance modules. 0 on left 0.24 ohm on right:
resistancemodules.jpg

Resistance module fitment:
modulefitment.jpg

IMR Resistance module installed:
IMRmoduleinstalled.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Beamshots, indoors. Same ISO/Fstop/aperature, etc used for all shots. Notice how dim the brightly lit room looks with all six Hi-hats turned up to full.:

Control, lights off:
zbeamshot01controllightsoff.jpg

Control, lights on:
zbeamshot02controllightson.jpg

CREE XRE Q5 @ 1.4A w/35mm collimator lens (near):
zbeamshot03LTF2C_near.jpg

CREE XRE Q5 @ 1.4A w/35mm collimator lens (far):
zbeamshot04LTF2C.jpg

Single CREE MC-E @ 2.8A 40mm MOP reflector (near):
zbeamshot05ROV40mmMCE_near.jpg

Single CREE MC-E @ 2.8A 40mm MOP reflector (far):
zbeamshot06ROV40mmMCE.jpg

Triple CREE MC-E (near):
zbeamshot07M2C3xMCE_near.jpg

Triple CREE MC-E (far):
zbeamshot08M2C3xMCE.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy Holidays! :twothumbs

Last edited:

bxstylez

Enlightened
Re: FS: 3xMCE Mag2C priced for the holidays

:takeit:

where in NYC are you located so i can pick this baby up :naughty:
PM incoming!

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FS: 3xMCE Mag2C priced for the holidays

Wow. That is an awesome price.
jeeze...
Thanx for all the pics, looks like a well planned build. Nice beam shots + comparison pics.

Techjunkie

Enlightened
Re: FS: Triple MC-E (3xMCE) Mag2C priced for the holidays

This torch is STILL FOR SALE :twothumbs

I met with bxstylez today (my first live encounter with another CPF'er) and after we got to talking on the phone and he mentioned he preferred black to pewter, he bought this one from me instead:

abeauty1.jpg

What a nice guy!

So, the pewter torch described in post #1 is still up for sale!

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast

im confused about what batteries can be used :thinking:

2 x 18650 rechargeable? (runtime?)

2 x C cell rechargeable? (runtime?)

or primaries only?

"Protected cells will not fit and Li-ion (LiCo chemistry) cells are not recommended considering the current drawn.

This is a rugged unregulated torch with only one mode. Brightness wanes as batteries deplete. There is no battery low voltage protection and it's still pretty damn bright even when the batteries are at 2.5V under load so test/charge your batteries frequently.

These k-bin WC tint MC-Es are very low Vf. Never use fully charged IMR batteries with the 0 resistance module or they will turn angry blue and after a short while you would cook them. The 0 resistance module is intended only to allow the use of LiFePO4 cells if/when you do not have IMR cells available to you."

Last edited:

Techjunkie

Enlightened

Battery compatibility:

2 x 18650 rechargeable = yes, preferably IMR (LiMn or LiNiCoMn chemistry) cells. Search for Lux Luthor's safe Li chemistry comparison thread if you're not familiar with the sources/properties of these batteries. In a pinch, you can use LiFePO4 cells which are very inexpensive and still safe under high current, but even with the 0 resistance module, wont be as bright as the IMR cells with the IMR resistance module.

The torch draws 4.6A of current from a fully charged 8.4V IMR pack. While Li-Ion rechargeable (which is Li-Co chemistry) is possible, I don't recommend it as I personally don't consider that a safe load for that chemistry. Also, the length of the tube does not permit protected 18650 cells (because they are longer than unprotected cells) unless you add a Mag C ring or get a custom deep tailcap for it. I will volunteer that I did once try this torch with two unprotected Sanyo 2.6AH 18650 Li-ion rechargeable cells pulled from a laptop battery. I do not recall if they sagged enough under load to not require the resistance module, but I do recall a >4A draw. I did not chance extended runtimes with them from fear of the batteries heating up. If the person who buys this torch wishes to attempt to use AW protected Li-ion cells and a MagCring, they do so at their own risk. Personally, I'd rather see them use IMR cells as that's what the resistance module is calibrated for.

NO PRIMARIES

2 x C cell rechargeable = yes, provided they are AW IMR 26500 cells (3.7V nominal each. NiMh 1.2V cells would not work at all - you'd need 5-7 of them). I suppose one could try AW Li-Ion rechargeable "C" cells if they and their protection circuits are rated for up to 5A current (I'm not sure of the spec on those discontinued batteries), and one had a deep+wide tailcap to accommodate their added length. I would not recommend generic Chinese (DX/KD) unprotected Li-Ion rechargeable C-sized cells as I do not feel that they are safe under any load. A short circuit with those cells could lead to missing fingers or worse.

Again, NO PRIMARIES the draw is too high (speaking of Saft C sized Lithium primaries. Alkalines wouldn't work at all.)

Runtime:

This torch is essentially direct drive, so current draw drops as battery voltage drops (resistance added by the module drops as well). Assuming an average current draw over the entire discharge cycle from fresh-off-the-charger to needs-charging of approximately 3A, you can calculate runtime by dividing the capacity of your batteries in Amp-Hours by 3 (A) and then multiplying by 60 (minutes). For AW IMR26500 2.3AH batteries, that yields 46 minutes. For AW IMR18650 1.6AH batteries, that yields 32 minutes. KD LiFePO4 18650 1.6AH batteries would yield similar runtime, but with lower brightness levels at the both ends of the cycle.

I wish I could answer technical questions without getting so long winded :sigh:

im confused about what batteries can be used :thinking:

2 x 18650 rechargeable? (runtime?)

2 x C cell rechargeable? (runtime?)

or primaries only?

"Protected cells will not fit and Li-ion (LiCo chemistry) cells are not recommended considering the current drawn.

These k-bin WC tint MC-Es are very low Vf. Never use fully charged IMR batteries with the 0 resistance module or they will turn angry blue and after a short while you would cook them. The 0 resistance module is intended only to allow the use of LiFePO4 cells if/when you do not have IMR cells available to you."

Last edited:

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast

'I'll Take it" Per our PM's and :paypal:

:sold: to bk737, pending payment of balance of funds

I'll ship as soon as I receive the rest. Thanks!

thank god, great explanation but im still in the dark:whistle:

3 x mc-e would be fun but id have to go to college to learn how to use it :duh2:

better someone who knows how gets it :thumbsup:

bk737

Newly Enlightened
Re: SOLD (pending funds): Triple MC-E Mag2C priced for the holidays

:paypal:Paypal Sent! for the balance owed. $150.00 Paid in Full.
PM Sent. Thanks

bk737

Newly Enlightened
Received this yesterday,it is incredibly bright! I will try to get some photos of it soon! Thanks again TechJunkie!