Someone ever tried a 50W bulb in a MiniMag?

tuelleric

Enlightened
Hello dear CPF-Members,

please don't laugh at my newbie question, but I wonder if someone ever tried to put a 50W halogen bulb into a MiniMag. Or at least 35W or 20W?

Actually it should work quite well (technically, don't know about heat issues). Could look like this then:

3355109.jpg

3355110.jpg

3355111.jpg

3355112.jpg

What do you think? I know that it's not really a rational mod, but one of the brighter ones definitely.

Regards from Germany
Till

tuelleric

Enlightened
Yes, I was thinking of two 14500 Li-Ions and a 6V bi-pin bulb. I just saw that there are none with 50W, what might be too much anyway. But if you drive a 35W bulb with 7.4V you already ge 55W. A 20W bulb would have 30W then.

Should be working, right?

Till

Illum

Flashaholic
Yes, I was thinking of two 14500 Li-Ions and a 6V bi-pin bulb. I just saw that there are none with 50W, what might be too much anyway. But if you drive a 35W bulb with 7.4V you already ge 55W. A 20W bulb would have 30W then.

Should be working, right?

Till

LiCoO2 Li-ions are good only for a little over 2C of current draw, even that is slightly pushing it.
14500s have 750mah capacity, 2C = 1.5A at a peak current of 4.2V, expected to droop to 4V at 1.5A. 2x14500s will give you 12W of power for around 20 minutes.

12W will not light up a 50W lamp, this is neither realistic nor practical.

7.4V at 35W is over 4 amps, only LiCoO2 I can think of capable of happily lending 4 amps would be the 16850 sized cells

Even if you do manage to fit a lamp this size in, how are you going to hold it?

Last edited:

moviles

Enlightened
im looking too for bulbs with low voltage and high power but no way to find

tuelleric

Enlightened
Even if you do manage to fit a lamp this size in, how are you going to hold it?

Hmm, maybe with gloves :D

But thanks for the information that Li-Ions can only handle 2 times their capacity. I dind't know that. So the only chance would be indeed a 10W bulb, I guess.

Till

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, maybe with gloves :D

But thanks for the information that Li-Ions can only handle 2 times their capacity. I dind't know that. So the only chance would be indeed a 10W bulb, I guess.

Till

10w 6v bi-pin bulbs are fairly common.

Should be a great little light.

Please post pictures when you are done. Not just pics of the light sitting on a table doing nothing but the light in action as well.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
This would be fantastically insane, and I'd love to do it to my MiniMag.

If you succeed, show us how!

moviles

Enlightened
This would be fantastically insane, and I'd love to do it to my MiniMag.

If you succeed, show us how!

no way because we need 4-5 amp 14500 imr batteries and that dont exist in the world :ohgeez:

I want 14500 imr batteries!!!!!! :devil:

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Problems are to find:
1- Battery that is capable of 7 Amps at 7.2 volts.
2- 50 Watt bulb which can run efficiently at 7.2 volt.
3- High temperature socket to hold the bulb.
4- Aluminum reflector with such a big opening.
5- High temperature glass lens.

1.. Most 14500 batteries are rated at 750mAh and you can get up to 1.5 Amp. Or you can take the responsibility an go for 3C (Over 2 Amp)
2.. Most of 50 watt bulbs are too long and may take some space of batteries.
3.. Most of 50 watt bulbs are 6.35 base which won't fit in Mini M*g tube.
4.. Even if you find such a reflector, not much surface left for reflection.
5.. Extreme high temperature in such a small surface will cause uncomfortable to touch even after a minute run.

Some of CPF members have 14 watt 1499 set up which is over the 2C limit but OK for short burst. I still have mine.
This kit is not available anymore.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Problems are to find:
1- Battery that is capable of 7 Amps at 7.2 volts.
2- 50 Watt bulb which can run efficiently at 7.2 volt.
3- High temperature socket to hold the bulb.
4- Aluminum reflector with such a big opening.
5- High temperature glass lens.

1.. Most 14500 batteries are rated at 750mAh and you can get up to 1.5 Amp. Or you can take the responsibility an go for 3C (Over 2 Amp)
2.. Most of 50 watt bulbs are too long and may take some space of batteries.
3.. Most of 50 watt bulbs are 6.35 base which won't fit in Mini M*g tube.
4.. Even if you find such a reflector, not much surface left for reflection.
5.. Extreme high temperature in such a small surface will cause uncomfortable to touch even after a minute run.

Some of CPF members have 14 watt 1499 set up which is over the 2C limit but OK for short burst. I still have mine.
This kit is not available anymore.
Would it be possible to get a G4 base bulb in there?

This bulb would still be stretching the limits of the batteries, but should still work for short bursts. The only issue would be that it'd be overdriven like hell on 2x14500's

All we need is for you to make us a turbohead for the MiniMag to fix the reflector issues :)

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
G4 will fit but issue (2..) still there unless head comes almost off the body.

Did you miss this.
Could you not extend the battery tube? There are cut pieces for C and D size mags. Could the same be done for the MiniMag to return the space used by the bulb?

The turbo head was 3 years before my time here at CPF :(

There's another thread here lamenting the lack of interest in MiniMags. A good mod like this might being a few back. Personally I'd love to annoy friends with 6D mags with a hotwire MiniMag :)

tuelleric

Enlightened
Would it be possible to get a G4 base bulb in there?

This bulb would still be stretching the limits of the batteries, but should still work for short bursts. The only issue would be that it'd be overdriven like hell on 2x14500's

All we need is for you to make us a turbohead for the MiniMag to fix the reflector issues :)

Well, a 6V bulb seems to have always a G4 socket. What makes thinks much easier. Your bulb should be compareable to the Osram 64225 or 64250, which have a diameter of 9mm and a length of 31mm.

The reflector shoudn't be the problem, as my cousin works with a CNC lathe every day. :)

Still remains the battery issue...