MOSFET as switch

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using this MOSFET as a switch controlled by a reed switch in past projects.
Its always worked wello but in the latest project with only a 3.7v Li Ion battery pack it does not seem to turn the SST-90 fully on.

Can anyone help?
Is the voltage too low for the FET?
Is there a recommended FET to use?

I need to switch up to 9 amp.

Thanks

georges80

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using this MOSFET as a switch controlled by a reed switch in past projects.
Its always worked wello but in the latest project with only a 3.7v Li Ion battery pack it does not seem to turn the SST-90 fully on.

Thanks

You need to find a different FET that is fully enhanced with a lower gate voltage.

The datasheet for the part you are using shows a Vgs of up to 4V. Vgs(threshold) needs to be lower when running a single li-ion battery. Look for something with a Vgs max of 3V or lower.

cheers,
george.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks.
I am struggling to find one.
Many data sheets I look at quote Vgs as 20v so I guess thats not the rating I should be looking at right? But Vgs (threshold) or Vgs (off)??

This FET
is available locally. Its quite expensive compared to others but if it works its worth it I guess. It seems to be designed for an audio amplifier. Will it work for my needs?

Nereus

Enlightened
Thanks.
I am struggling to find one.
Many data sheets I look at quote Vgs as 20v so I guess thats not the rating I should be looking at right? But Vgs (threshold) or Vgs (off)??

This FET
is available locally. Its quite expensive compared to others but if it works its worth it I guess. It seems to be designed for an audio amplifier. Will it work for my needs?

I am afraid it won't. According to the datasheet's "drain-to-source voltage vs. gate-to-source voltage" graph this mosfet can not handle the 9 amp load.

A logic level, very low on-resistance mosfet might suite your needs. Try googling using those words as keywords.

Should this thread be in the Flashlight Electronics sub-forum?

-N

Last edited:

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Packhorse,

ledaholic just built a SST-90 Mag with a MOSFET as a switch, I wonder if he had the same problem?

See this thread

It may not be an issue for him because he's running 4.8V (4 NiMh C cells), but that's a lot of Amps to handle. I'd check with him.

ledaholic

Enlightened
I used a IRLZ34 in mine just because it was what I had lying around. I don't remember the rated specs off hand, I believe about 5V but I can turn it on with 3V easily. I have an extra if you would like to try it.

Der Wichtel

Enlightened
irf8113 or irf8736.
Don't look only for big mosfets. Smaller mosfets with high current rating means that the mosfet has lower resistance and therefore doesn't need a big package for heat-transfer.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used a IRLZ34 in mine just because it was what I had lying around. I don't remember the rated specs off hand, I believe about 5V but I can turn it on with 3V easily. I have an extra if you would like to try it.

That would be great. PM sent.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast

As per PM I found some local(ish).

Anyway Its in and working great. Thanks

jason 77

Enlightened
Try using a FQP50N06L fairchild it might work... I use them all the time for my constant current circuits. I think the Vgs is like 1-2 volts minimum...