Fenix PD20 off ebay -- fake?

thingomy

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Fenix PD20 off ebay, seller had good feedback, and item was recieved quickly, but it doesn't seem as bright as people are speaking about in the reviews. It may just be me though.

Comparing it's brightness to my 2AA magLED, the 2 seem very similar when the Fenix is on it's lowest setting. I'm ussure about the condition of the batterises of the mag, but I estemate the lithium cell is better than half full, I've been using it speradically for a month or so.

Now I do have a DSLR camera, so I could take a photo of it's output at known settings/distances, but knowning all the variables there I'd estemate there would be an error in the order of 50%, which would nullify the test's worth. (unless somone else here has a sony a100 or a700 and a cz16-80 or sigma 30/1.4... not likelly)

The only other test that I can think of is testing the draw current by shorting the batery to the case with the rear cover romoved (on the 10A setting os as not to blow the ammeter.

I couldn't get reliable readings for the 2 lowest settings for for some reason, but full and turbo are listed.

0.45A
1.76A

The values seemed to vary by about 10% almost certainly due to the (lack of) quality of connection between the volt meter and the components.

If somone else could run a similar test on a known good PD20 I can compare the results, and hopfully shed some light (sorry) on which of the 3 posibilities I have: it's just me; it's faulty; it's dodgy.

I have noted already that this is in no way conclusive, but it may help.

If anyone has any better test sugestions please raise them.

Thanks in advance,
Thingomy

orbspeed1

Newly Enlightened
UK,England,Surrey,On a chair in front of my comput
Try entering the serial number on fenix web site

http://www.fenixlight.com.cn/snen.asp

It will tell you the following

Serial Number: **************
Model: PD30
LED: CREE Q5
Reflector: Orange Peel Reflector
Color: Black
Version of Warranty Card: English
Sales Region: Europe Area
Sales Country: England
Inquiring record: The serial number is inquired about for 3 times,the last time is:2009-10-15 3:23:50

This is what i get for my pd30.

thingomy

Newly Enlightened
Serial Number: 15WMCM*****
Model: PD20
LED: CREE Q5
Reflector: Smooth Reflector
Color: Black
Version of Warranty Card: English
Sales Region: Asia and Pacific Area
Sales Country: HongKong
Inquiring record: The serial number is inquired about for 1 times

Well, both the current and the number on the website look pretty good.

Is there any known issues with this model that could account for it?

Could it be a duff battery? it's an Energiser photo lith 2.937v no load -- that came with the torch from HK.

thingomy

Newly Enlightened
The modes do seem to work just fine, and the brightness diference between the modes seem as they should be. There is no sign of any flickering etc to indicate low battery.

Is any of the above consistant with a duff battery?

I'd have expected a duff bat to have worked fine on the lowest mode, then get less effective (ie diminshing returns) towards the higher settings due to the booster circut having more power headroom on the loer settings.

I could use an uncaleberated camera to compare power between modes... any tips on doing this? I happen to have a supply of good difusion and nutral density filter gel.

Thingomy