Suggestions: Both normal use AND airsoft (1 inch tube diameter). Please read on!

GeL

Newly Enlightened
Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for?
I will be using this light for many purposes. I will use this around the home during blackouts, or even during the night. I will use this outdoors, occasional hiking trips, camping, and night airsofting. I have a 1 inch flashlight mount that fits 1 inch (~25/26mm) diameter flashlights, and I hope I'll be able to use the flashlight for airsoft purposes as well as normal use

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?
New York, USA

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
Willing to spend up to $45. Hopefully looking in the $30s

2) Format:
I want a flashlight

3) Length:
Around 6 inches

4) Width:

I prefer a long narrow light, and I prefer a short wide light. This sounds crazy, but I will be using this outdoors and indoors. Maybe slightly more toward the wide light.

5) What batteries do you want to use?
2xAA or 2xCR123. I do prefer AAs, as they are so much easier to find and replace, but I happen to have a few CR123s lying around for my camera.

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).
Looking for 2/3 modes. Max/turbo - 150+ lumen. Minimum - Less than 20.

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)----------------------------X----------------Flood/close-up
Again: I'm using both outdoors and indoors, but the outdoors isn't ridiculous ridculous distance(hikes, night airsoft games), so slightly more toward flood/closeup. Decent distance is necessary though.

8) Runtime:
Looking for 2/3 modes, so I know what I'm getting myself into. Hopefully 30+ hours running less than 10 lumens. But, if its 2xAA, batteries will be a lot easier to replace.

9) Durability:
Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood.)
Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.) I won't be smashing my flashlight, but I do go on hikes, and play airsoft in the wilderness sometimes. I would classify this as in between "slightly important" and "very important". Just "important" :)

8) Switch Type:
I want a "clickie" switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)

9) Switch Location:
Rear of flashlight

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.
2/3 modes. An intense/bright mode, and a less intense mode (under 20 lumens). Not necessary, but a medium mode would be nice.

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?
Doesn't matter, but I hope it is solid. There is solid,strong plastic/composite, and cheap,weak plastic/composite. Looking for the strong plastics, or metal.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).
1 inch diameter (25/26mm), or slightly less is acceptable (24mm).
Mount: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DMKPYK/?tag=cpf0b6-20.
It holds a 1 inch (25/26 mm) diameter flashlight, which attaches to my 20mm rails.

Also, if you guys know a great flashlight that is 30mm in diameter (for example), and you also can recommend a 30mm mount, that would be fine as well.

I know this is a demanding request, but CandlePowerForums seems like an extremely legitimate place to seek help. I've done research on a lot of flashlights, but the 1 inch diameter just adds another layer of complication.
I almost bought the Fenix E20, before I remembered the flashlight I needed to buy could be used for airsoft as well.

Thanks!
Sincerely,
GeL

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the solarforce revolution,

or, for an upgrade in quality to the revolution,
the dereelight javelin.

Edit: oh wait...1" diameter? That'll be hard if not impossible to find.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L2R with AA batteries won't fit a 1" mount.

Best bet is probably the Solarforce L2 - SBFlashlights, as mentioned in a previous post, has good prices and excellent service.

The tail is a "reverse clickie" - which means you click the tail forward and the light doesn't activate until you release pressure. Which is fine for your listed use.

-Trevor

GeL

Newly Enlightened
I'm sorry about the 2 threads. I thought my other thread got removed by mods.

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
with the size requirement, it is impossible (as I know) to find a 2AA light.

you'll have to go to CR123A or 18650.

now..
2xAA or 2xCR123. I do prefer AAs, as they are so much easier to find and replace, but I happen to have a few CR123s lying around for my camera.

are they new CR123As? you cannot mix old and new.. there is a very real risk of an explosion with lithium primary batteries.

price range is limiting.. I suggest you try out the budget lights on DealExtreme.. go check out the budget lights thread. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/252878

GeL

Newly Enlightened
The solarforce l2 series looks amazing. However, I got this off a site for the dimensions: Dimensions: 5.79 in x 1.3 in x 1.3 in. I need the tube (or any part of the flashlight) to have a 1 inch diameter =/

Edit: AHHH found another dimension: Length x diameter (head and battery tube): 146mm x 32mm x 25mm. Hate the inconsistency of the interwebs!

Last edited:

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tail is a "reverse clickie" - which means you click the tail forward and the light doesn't activate until you release pressure. Which is fine for your listed use.

I think for airsoft you'd want a forward clickie or better, a momentary/twistie. But I guess you could also pick up a tape-switch tailcap for it, might be the best option anyway.

GeL

Newly Enlightened
I think for airsoft you'd want a forward clickie or better, a momentary/twistie. But I guess you could also pick up a tape-switch tailcap for it, might be the best option anyway.

Thanks for your concern, but I'd still rather have a reverse clicky. I know what I want, it's just I can't seem to find the right flashlight. Reverse clicky, 1 inch tube diameter, 2/3 modes. Solarforce l2 with 3 mode dropin looks amazing, just need to check the size

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems to fit in a mount for a surefire 650.. which is a 1"er I believe.
I tested a solarforce L2p which is the same size as the L2.

Last edited:

GeL

Newly Enlightened
It seems to fit in a mount for a surefire 650.. which is a 1"er I believe.
I tested a solarforce L2p which is the same size as the L2.

Thanks a lot. I think I'm going to settle for the L2 with the 3 mode 2xcr123 6v drop-in.