Throwy flashlight - can't find the perfect fit

Pavius

Newly Enlightened
This forum is really getting to me. Just a week ago i was completely ignorant to the nuances of flashlights and here i am asking pedantic questions.

As the title suggests i'm looking for a throwy flashlight (in addition to a headlamp which has its own thread). It will serve for two nature-esque trips this summer and will then probably be stuck in a drawer, used for general household things.

At first i thought the fenix ld20+ was a perfect fit as i liked that it was 2xAA and had the cool diffusor tip. However i was puzzled by why it was hardly mentioned in these forums. A few hours of reading later, i understood that it this is probably due to the fact that it is based on the old XR-E Q5 LED, whereas you guys opt for the XP-G based flashlights.

However, the XP-G based flashlights do not come with the diffusor tip besides the CR123 based PD30+ limited edition! :banghead: CR123s are too uncommon and would require me ordering batches of them from the net (overpriced here). This is fine at first, but i just don't see myself doing this a year or two down the line. I'll just look at the esoteric flashlight in the drawer and curse myself for buying something so high maintenance. Ugh.

So is there a 2xAA XP-G with a candle-light-like diffusor tip out there? :duh2:

LittleBill

Newly Enlightened
This forum is really getting to me. Just a week ago i was completely ignorant to the nuances of flashlights and here i am asking pedantic questions.

As the title suggests i'm looking for a throwy flashlight (in addition to a headlamp which has its own thread). It will serve for two nature-esque trips this summer and will then probably be stuck in a drawer, used for general household things.

At first i thought the fenix ld20+ was a perfect fit as i liked that it was 2xAA and had the cool diffusor tip. However i was puzzled by why it was hardly mentioned in these forums. A few hours of reading later, i understood that it this is probably due to the fact that it is based on the old XR-E Q5 LED, whereas you guys opt for the XP-G based flashlights.

However, the XP-G based flashlights do not come with the diffusor tip besides the CR123 based PD30+ limited edition! :banghead: CR123s are too uncommon and would require me ordering batches of them from the net (overpriced here). This is fine at first, but i just don't see myself doing this a year or two down the line. I'll just look at the esoteric flashlight in the drawer and curse myself for buying something so high maintenance. Ugh.

So is there a 2xAA XP-G with a candle-light-like diffusor tip out there? :duh2:

i wouldn't get hung up on th XP-G, fenix is releasing them now in certain models, which i would assume would make it to the ld20 at some point.

if you don't want to wait the ld20 is perfect.

i have the q5 and its pretty much perfect in the ld20 series.

fyi the xp-g is considered a floody led, if your looking for throw, the current line is what you want

Haz

Enlightened
I think you can go for the Quark 2AA, and purchase the Fenix diffuser tip. I heard they fit tightly over the Quarks

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you'd really like a throwy light, A 2D mag modded with a High-CRI SSC P4 or Neutral MCE LED would work well, though the size would be larger.

EagleTac makes a 2AA with an XP-E that's pretty throwy. Check out Pacific Tactical Solutions for info.

LightOnAHill

Newly Enlightened
I've seen the new cute jetbeam and read here that it's pretty throwy. I was considering something from that company for a weaponlight on the ar10 :naughty:

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can't normally go wrong with Fenix.. but if youre looking for throw then the TK20 is by far the best way to go, it uses 2x AA's too and Fenix even make its own diffuser, the Warm white LED will suit you better than a Q5 too if youre looking to use it anywhere outside or where you might need some colour distiction and depth perception.. perfect for night hiking in the woods, or in fact pretty much anything else outside.. :thumbsup:

Pavius

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all for the replies. Just to clarify, i'm looking for the candle light diffusor - something that spreads the light omni-directionally and not something that just softens the hot spot.

LittleBill - The fact that the XP-G is somewhat floody is a plus in my book. If i don't find an XP-G based flashlight with a diffusor tip i will fall back to the LD20
Haz - Thanks. I will email 4sevens and ask if this is mechanically possible
Tekno_Cowboy - Not going to mod anything at this point. Also, i don't see that eagletac carry a candle tip diffusor.
LightOnAHill - I like the AA extender, but dont see any diffusor tips for the RRT-0
RedForest - After looking at the beamshots i think that i prefer cold white over white. Something about the artificial brightness makes me like it better.

bkumanski

Enlightened
Also, 123s are cheap from the vendors here. You can get them at $1 each and even in 2 packs already shrink-wrapped together. Also, many can take an 18650 or RCR 123 rechargables, so diminutive costs there.