Quick Question: Brightest, Smallest 1xCR123A?

Phyltre

Newly Enlightened
As customary, I've been out of the small end of the market just long enough to lose my bearings. This should be an easy question:

What is the smallest, brightest 1xCR123a out there right now? Maximum is ~$100, so budget shouldn't be an issue. Ti is appreciated but by no means a requirement. Thanks!

Fichtenelch

Enlightened
Solarforce L2p with any P60 drop-in is propably the most versatile one. And a drop-in with SST-50, MC-E + P7 or XP-G R4 from Nailbender...Or have a look for a 4Sevens Quark with 123, they also come with XP-G R5. XP-G is propably your best choice for a 1x123 light.

chef4850

Enlightened
Take a look at the nitecore extreme very bright on high, $90.00 mark and single 123 battery format. Great all around EDC light. The jetbeam rrt-0 running on a single 123 battery is also very good but the hot spot is small but throws very well.

Chef

desertrat21

Newly Enlightened
The quark mini is really all the rage right now.
I have to keep telling myself that I'm broke. lol

It really is. I can't get over the output. ~190 lumens with a great spot, very useable spill, and a UI I've grown to really like from something shorter than my chapstick. It's remarkeable!
...and even crazier, it's less than $40.

Here's a beamshot on high:
Quark_MiNi_turbo.jpg

Here's it bigger brother which is rated at 230 OTF lumens:
Ti%20Quark%201232%20turbo%20copy.jpg

Last edited:

Phyltre

Newly Enlightened
Alright, so it looks like I have two very good answers for my split question:
Brightest--Peak Rainier P7 direct-drive
Smallest--Quark MiNi 123

I'm probably going to throw in with the Quark first. As much as I love the idea of the baby-flamethrower Ranier, it's direct-drive which means no low. And the Quark being 1/3 the cost makes the decision easy for now--I get more flexibility, smaller size, and what is still a great output level.

One more question--has anyone tried running the Quark MiNi 123 on one of the Ultrafire 3.6V 880MAHs? I wouldn't run the thing on high for more than 30 seconds at a time anyway, wondering if I would kill it.

Gatsby

Enlightened
Since I own a Nitecore EZ123 (which I was thinking of selling but since the clearance sale they are not worth selling at realistic marketplace prices) I can say that I wish I'd had a Mini - as the high on the EZ123 is impressive but really is a burst mode only. It does not have the mass to run for any appreciable time at that level. Consequently, a mid level would be very useful. I wish in fact that the EZ has a much lower high - more like the Nautilus - which would make it usable and I generally have a bigger and more powerful flashlight available if I believe I'll need more oomph.

But I'm not crazy about the twisty/flupic style interfaces (one reason I've not bought a BitZ) - however in a tiny package you're pretty much limited to that interface for size reasons if you have more than two levels.