"Hotlips" in bed with Luxeons. Beamshots too.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
\"Hotlips\" in bed with Luxeons. Beamshots too.

I was able to finally replenished my supply of Artic Silver Epoxy and give my 5w HD U3Us, U5Us and the PRD5 HD T5U comfy homes in the "hotlips". Some of these are going out those who ordered configuration 2.

With the hotlips luxeon "kit" (config 2) was dropped into the Mag and it securely fastened, the head of the mag started to get nice and warm after a couple of minutes' run /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif That is good! That is what it was supposed to do... ie remove as much heat as possible from the LED vicinity. I was pleasantly surprised at its efficiency.

Because I haven't decided what light the host was going to be, I didn't put any epoxy or grease around the tall sides of the heatsink. I would go boldly and make a claim that if I did, even more heat would dissipate from the heatsink into the host body! Someone may beat me to this test as I am waiting for more hosts to arrive. Note: Unless your hotlips fit in snuggly into your host, I strongly suggest you apply thermal grease around the rim of your host before you drop the hotlips into it.

** Anyone want to do a swap? 1 W2V for 2 hotlips shipped /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

hotlipsD1-5W-1.jpg

Little eager-beavers waiting to leave mother-goose

hotlipsD1-beamshot-U3U-1.jpg

Beam shot from a direct driven U3U, approx 6 feet from the wall. White!!

hotlipsD1-beamshot-U5U-1.jpg

Beam shot from a direct driven U5U. White also. Maybe, just maybe a tad of blue but have to look very hard to see the blue.

hotlipsD1-beamshot-T5U-1.jpg

And beam shot our PRD4, it is intense!!!

*** EDIT, there is no cyan, nor white ring around the last beamshot. This LS is really not designed to shine but to cure.

Note: 8.4V were applied to the above 3 LSs. Those alks have ~55-65% of life left.

Jonathan

Enlightened
Re: T5U! Bad bin or ....?

Hopefully it wouldn't be your _eyes_ lighting up with that beastie. My understanding is that these particular LS 5W units are intended for light cure resins.

I bet they will do a fine job charging up glow powder. I also bet they can do significant retinal damage.

-Jon

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Jon

It works wonders with Glow Powder. It is amazing! "Charges" them up in no time at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic

What is the peak wave length of these RB's?

Thanks,
Don

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don... the PRD4s have a peak of 470nm at spec. Typical of 460.

H /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ExMB

Newly Enlightened
Re: \"Hotlips\" in bed with Luxeons. Beamshots too.

Can this setup be adjusted to flood instead of spot?

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re:

ExMB, yes. Although you will loose the even beam when using a Mag reflector (this one is). The inherent "black hole" will start to appear when you defocus

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: TU5 subject seems to be going bonkers??

Thanks hotbeam.

I have a couple stars that are at the other end with peak between 440 and 445; T3U's. I put one in a KL4 bezel with very satisfactory results! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

very nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

i've always wanted a dental blue luxeon... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

yclo

Flashaholic*

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Man, you'll have to show me when I get back down under!

-YC

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's real impressive... too bad I don't have a mag that size. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Vince.

LukeK

Enlightened

Hotbeam -- what reflector/optics did you use for those pictures? With a standard Mag reflector will there be a 'black hole' in the middle?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

he used a standard mag reflector, with the tail cut off.

when you defocus the light too much, a hole will defelope, but the beam is extremely smooth at optimal focus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LukeK

Enlightened

ah I see now -- thanks roth.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

LukeK

Here is a pic. I just need to smooth the rough edges a little and that is about it.

hotlipsDinMag2d-reflector.jpg

Burnt_Retinas

Enlightened

Howard,

This is top quality stuff. Nice mod, nice beam, great...no, EXCELLENT, heatsink. I'm impressed. You can focus to a tight spot too! now that's a bonus.

What else can I say? Top shelf stuff and great work.

If you plan a meeting to show the goods to those interested, please count me in. There could be something in it for both. Don't forget my dog!

Chris

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Chris

See this thread for more. Will EM or PM to make a time. If we meet before Friday/Monday, you'd be one of the first on the CPF to lay hands on the "hotlips"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Howard

Burnt_Retinas

Enlightened

Great.

I actually thought that was the thread I was posting too??? It was certainly the one I had in mind. The thread title seemed to change somewhere? I must have been off in fairy land that night!.

Whoops, no. Thinking hotlips, saw "pics" this was the post I posted too.......but while thinking of the other hotlips post! DOH! Too many posts open at one time.

I will look forward to seeing these beauties (torch and hotlips).

Chris

LukeK

Enlightened

Well I finished! I got my hotlips based Mag 6D modification complete! I am running 5D batteries and one dummy battery supplying a V3U 5W LS. I haven't taken beamshots yet, but I will tomorrow. I have a question though -- the light that is emitted seems blue to me. Not overly blue, but it's not pure white. Why would this be happening?

fbb05ac1.jpg

fbb05aba.jpg

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

are you sure you got V3U? V3U should be white, not overly blue. There might be some tint variation going on so a slight blue is fine.