This place is stinking addictive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Wayne_

Newly Enlightened
I'm going on a trip to Kazakhstan in August and figured I needed a small light for the trip. LED lights seem cool, so I stopped by a camping store and got an Impact at a sale price. Great light, but too narrow a beam and not pocketable. So I went online to do some research and found...

Arc and the AAA. I got three (one for me, two for gifts) and WOW it's a great light. Soon, I'm showing some other members on my project and they want me to order for them. Then a couple sound/lighting techie friends want some. And lo and behold, there's a sale on, so I order 10 more AAA's for these friends and as gifts.

Meanwhile, I lusted after the LS but couldn't justify the price. But I figured a LARGE, long-life light would be a good buy, so ordered the Blaster II from another maker. (Another "Wayne", I believe.) Then the Arc sale and after ordering the AAA's, I make the LS plunge, too.

So in the period of two weeks, I go from no LED lights to being able to choose the right light for the task at hand (AAA, AA long-throw, 123, and 3D). This place is addictive. I wonder if Wayne's are drawn to such things?

As a side note, I made the mistake of ordering the LS about an hour after the AAA's and regreted the dual shipping charge, but oh well, I should've made up my mind sooner. Then I got a nice email today saying they'd combined the two orders for me to save shipping. Woo hoo! Nice folks, great service.

(I inherited a gadget gene from my father and also from my grandfather on my mother's side, so I'm hurting on that score. Until now, it's mostly expressed itself in computers and software and I thought I could resist "gadgets" but...)

Inertia

Newly Enlightened
I share your addiction! In the past week I've gone from pretty much nothing to a SureFire E1e/KL1, L4, and just today recieved an ARC LSH-ST! They are all wonderful lights and now I'm just aching for a dark scary place to illuminate and properly test them.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
nice collection!

you've made a good choice in your purchases. i wouldn't consider going without premium lights like you've purchased.

you should also look into a high output light also....something like the surefire e2e or similar.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I can share my dirty little secret anywhere, I suppose it's with the nice folks here at CPF that share my affliction.

Hi, my name is Peter. In the last two weeks I have bought:

An E2e, spare MN03, and G2 from TAD Gear.

2 Arc-AAA's and a KL1 module from County Comm.

An L4, ARC LSH-P, and Arc-AAA LE from Dan at Tactical Warehouse.

Another L4 from Howard at Bulldog Enterprises.

An ARC LSH-S and 10 more ARC-AAA's from Peter at ARC.

An E2E/E2O Bezel Modification (P61 in E2e) from Ray (this is nascar)

Yes, as you can see, I have a little problem with flashlights. However, now that I've found CPF at least I can take comfort in the fact that I'm not alone.

Thanks for listening,

Peter

edited to add the E2e mod from this is nascar. I just want to tell the whole truth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SHINER

Newly Enlightened
HAAAAAAAAAAA.Yes and when I am laying in bed and wife is trying to sleep,and I am in the bed checking out the lights on the ceiling.Did that with the palight and clicked it on to where it blinks on and off.Doing that on the white ceiling like to made me sick.My wife just said, well she said .Ya'll probably know what she said bout them lights and where I could put them.hehe.
Later.
CHRIS

_Wayne_

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
you should also look into a high output light also....something like the surefire e2e or similar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh. I really, really shouldn't ask... I can't afford to ask, really. But I guess I was thinking the Blaster would be "high output" and also have a really long life because of the 3D cells. There are higher output LED lights?

(Along those lines, you'd think HID flashlights would interest me since I even have an HID lamp as a reading lamp at home, but I've read that they're not very rugged and that managed to immediately turn me off of them. Please do not disabuse me of this idea if it's wrong. I think LEDs are enough. Plenty. Complete. Done. Period. No more.)

It's funny, I have two choices for the 4th of July this year. One is in an apartment with a great view over DC's fireworks. WOnderful view and pictures. But inside. The other is way out in the country, but dark... Dark as in where flashlights shine...

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
well, yea, the blaster 2 is nice, but not exactly "high output"

i was thinking something along the lines of a surefire. e2e's are pretty bright (about $70), and are very small. quite a bit brighter than your blaster 2.
you could also get a 5w blaster, which can be brighter than the e2e, but are also larger.

at 60lumens, the e2e is very bright, and is plenty small to carry with you at all times.

you might also consider a pelican m6. it's bigger and heavier than the e2e, but can throw further.

BigMac

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
_Wayne_ said:
I think LEDs are enough. Plenty. Complete. Done. Period. No more

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... If you don't want me to try to talk you out of it, then I won't tell you about all the great incandescent lights. If you are going for brightness in LEDs, you should consider a 5w like rothrandir said. The blaster V and VI are 5w, along with the surefire L4/KL4. I think I read that the KL4 head for the e2e matches the regular lamp at 65 lumens. Mr. Bulk makes some great 5w mods, but the place you are most likely to find them is on BST. I think the Space Needle II is most people's favorite. Also, Arc is working on an LS5 with a 5w LED but it won't be out until after the LS4, which will be out sometime in october. I hope this helps.

BigMac

Enlightened
Oh, and on the 4th of July subject, I would go with the dark place (or the place that will be dark untill you arive). In fact, I had a similar decision to make and didn't give it a second thought. I will be having my party out in the country. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Certainly been doing your research folks!! GREAT choices upfront, but so many more to make!! Welcome to the CPF, take your time and enjoy!

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashaholics' Lament: So many flashlights and so Little money!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

How can one save for something new, when you see some things you 'need', First?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am 47.5 and for many years there was nothing exciting about flashlights. Finding a reliable one was not easy. Then along came the Mags. Those faded into utility. Then the amazing happened: the invention of the White LED (Nichia).

The CC Trek Light got me hooked and I found Arc and CPF. Now I am drooling over the upcoming LS4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yes, you do spend more money on flashlights, as a result of CPF, than you would have, had you remained among the blissfully unaware.

Addiction? What addiction?? (trying to shoehorn 2 TSP-2AA into July's budget) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JJHitt

Enlightened
Yup... in a single month I usually spend more on flashlights than the average person living a modern industrial nation spends on flashlights in their entire lifetime.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I had a flashlight addiction going LONG before finding CPF (got a link to here from Bladeforums!).

But being here has made me aware of a whole new world that I might never have found otherwise!

Oh, the comment about so many lights, so little money is so true!!!

Tomas

Banned
Yup! I've had a mild flashlight addiction since about 1951, but it was easily controlled.

Since arriving here "Where the Flashlights Shine", it has assumed more worrisome proportions.

I hope you realize this is not a "support group" but more a bunch of addicts helping each other get their next fix ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

My second purchase as a result of CPF made it a one-way-street for me with no turning back: An Arc AAA.

T_sig2.gif

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
_Wayne_ said:
....so I order 10 more AAA's

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow...what a way to start off your membership...err...addiction on the CPF!

Have fun and be safe in Kazakhstan! I've never been there nor would i know anything about the place, so let us know what it was like when you get back.

richpalm

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
LitFuse said:
If I can share my dirty little secret anywhere, I suppose it's with the nice folks here at CPF that share my affliction.

Yes, as you can see, I have a little problem with flashlights. However, now that I've found CPF at least I can take comfort in the fact that I'm not alone.

Thanks for listening,

Peter

edited to add the E2e mod from this is nascar. I just want to tell the whole truth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Gad! You're not kidding! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif This all started with me when a co-worker blinded me with his Scorpion and I just had to have one... I found CPF via Flashlightreviews.com, discovered Surefires and .. and... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif 7 Surefires and 3 Streamlights in the last month.... now I ordered an LS because of the sale. Oh boy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif Gonna have to lock up the plastic and throw away the key!

Rich

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
richpalm said:
[ QUOTE ]
LitFuse said:

Thanks for listening,

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

Gad! You're not kidding! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif This all started with me when a co-worker blinded me with his Scorpion and I just had to have one... I found CPF via Flashlightreviews.com, discovered Surefires and .. and... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif 7 Surefires and 3 Streamlights in the last month.... now I ordered an LS because of the sale. Oh boy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif Gonna have to lock up the plastic and throw away the key!

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I wish I was kidding Rich. Acquisitions this past week-

X5T, Firefly pre-order, Micro illuminator, Arc AAA-UV, Squidlight, and I've got my eyes on an Elektrolumens Blaster VI. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Look for a sale from me coming up in the B/S/T~Lights section of the board soon. I can't keep them all, but I need to try each of them out, and see what they're all about. I must stop this insanity soon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.