Interesting situation in my room ...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Every night, one or two ladybugs find their way into my room. One usually flies around my overhead light, which is quite bright and made up of traditional bulbs; while the other slowly crawls along my carpet. Sometimes it's just one ... Always going for the light.

The interesting thing is, they're polite. They don't crawl around my stuff. They don't fly at my head in an angry fashion. They don't run away at a high rate of speed when I spot them. They let me gently pick them up and put them outside the window ledge. (Who knows, it might be the same two ladybugs stopping back every night. But I doubt that).

I don't even think of them as insects. They're actually quite ... Well ... Lady-like. I've had the occasional cockroach stop by. (One of my neighbors is insane and not exactly on the clean side. But since she's friendly to a fault, the City doesn't bother putting her in a mental institution so she can get the help she needs.) I kill those dirty bugs as soon as I can. But the ladybugs are different. In the Old World, they're looked at as signs of good luck or good fortune. So I just gently put them outside instead of killing them.

Hell, they're more well-mannered than some people I've met.

When they fly towards my light, they tend to smack into it at what sounds like a painful speed. Just wondering if perhaps I should consider using an LED overhead light. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Niconical

Enlightened
Maybe somewhere down there in the grass, in a little hollowed out bit of wood, there are 2 ladybugs on the bugnet forums telling other bugs about the nice human they visit each evening who doesn't squish them and even gives them a lift back to the window when they're ready to go.

The roaches probably come on to trash the thread, but fear not, the queen gretabug clears them out in timely fashion.

Could be, ya never know......:)

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mind one or two of those finding their way into my room, but the several hundred I tend to vacuum up in the fall are just too much.

I've found that the only way to control them is to leave my floor lamp on 24/7, and watch the bowl-like shade fill up with extra crispy bugs.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
We get them occasionally, but they don't seem to care about the lights at all. All of our lights are CFL, perhaps that has something to do with it.

Cute post Nick :)

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
At my lake house (don't get excited, it is a shack in the woods) I get thousands of the spotless infiltrators, the Asian variety that was sold to farmers as pest control. They seem to like my ears rather than staying away from me.

At the new house, just 15 miles away, I have none of those. Rarely one of the indigenous spotted variety. They seem content to stay past arms length. So I let them be.

The imports sometimes swarm outside to make a bright sunny day hazy.

If they stay out of my face, I let them be. The spotless ones like my nose and ears for some reason. They must die the death of the portable Dirt Devil Vortex device. :D

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If they stay out of my face, I let them be. The spotless ones like my nose and ears for some reason. They must die the death of the portable Dirt Devil Vortex device. :D

Apparently the spotless ones are a bit slutty. The spotted ones conduct themselves with far more dignity. Quite lady-like in their behavior.

"A proper lady does not jump onto a man's face or nibble on his ears." :D

But as far as lights go, they definitely seem to prefer the warm glow of a nice inca. over an LED.

Light Sabre

Enlightened
If this kind of thing were happening to me I would be going to my psychiatrist to have my med's adjusted. :thinking: But I always treat ladybugs with respect, med's adjusted or not, and take them back outside. :crackup:

I don't tell my psychiatrist about my flashaholism, he might try to treat me for it. I don't suffer from it, I enjoy it.

Last edited:

Greta

Flashaholic
If you have a plant or two in your room, put them in the plant. Ladybugs eat aphids which can harm plants. I never kill them or put them outside... I just move them to the potted plants. If you don't have a plant or two... maybe consider getting one... or two? ;)

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Ladybugs are my favorite insect next to lightning bugs (Fireflies). Praying Mantis are the coolest. Walking Sticks are the funniest to watch. Oh hell, now I'm thinking of at least a dozen other wonderful insects...bees, butterflies, circadia, crickets, etc. etc.

Nature's diversity is so amazingly stunning.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have a back bedroom (the third) that we use for storage. The only way to get to it is by going through the second bedroom (babies room). Well, I have seen a few lady bugs here and there, but that's expected this time of year.

Well, two days ago I went into the third bedroom to put put some extra boxes and nearly stepped on a lady bug open grave. Nearly 50 or so were laying dead under a window. Not sure what happened.. however they were neatly laying next to each other in a neat pile. Some on their stomachs and some flopped over.

Lady bugs are nice though.

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're not alone, this one has been on my desk and monitor all day :)

1pv814.jpg

2bs9bd.jpg

Reminds me, my desk needs a good dusting..........:eek:

Later
Kelly

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If you have a plant or two in your room, put them in the plant. Ladybugs eat aphids which can harm plants. I never kill them or put them outside... I just move them to the potted plants. If you don't have a plant or two... maybe consider getting one... or two? ;)

I've grown fond of my nightly guests. (Still amazed at how polite they are). I think I will get a nice plant for them to enjoy.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I would recommend a nice Pothos (Devil's Ivy). They are pretty hearty, cheap to buy, easy to care for. The Ladies love them! ;) :thumbsup:

Thank You, Greta! :)

I was wondering which potted plant would be best. Now I can avoid any strange looks when I go in to buy the plant, since I don't have to ask which one would be best for cultivating ladybugs. :D

Patriot

Flashaholic
Great thread Monocrom. I really like ladybugs a lot. I can't remember ever hurting or killing one, even as a kid. It's a very interesting psychology when it comes to them vs. many other types of insects. I'm sort of like Lux Luthor I guess since I like all the same bugs he does minus the crickets. Here is AZ crickets are a bit different, they're smaller and like to get in the attics and walls and then chirp until they die. Also, scorpions love to eat them so of you have a lot of crickets they typically draw scorpions to your house as well. I can do without those. Anyhow, lady bugs always make me smile. What a wonderful little design. I kinda hope they are the same two lady bugs visiting you, no matter how unlikely. :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thanks Patriot.

If it is the same two, I hope they invite they're friends after I put in the "salad bar." :)

Also, saw your video review of the Maratac AA on youtube. Great job!

T0RN4D0

Enlightened
Ladybugs rule. :] But nothing beats a firefly being lost in your room at night haha :thumbsup:

Kindle

Enlightened
If it is the same two, I hope they invite they're friends after I put in the "salad bar." :)

If they are in fact the asian ladybird beatles (harmonia axyridis), that Pellidon mentioned you might want to be careful about what you wish for.

Those "few" friends are likely to turn into thousands who don't want to leave until springtime. They also leave stains & an odor if you aren't careful.

Oh, and they bite.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If they are in fact the asian ladybird beatles (harmonia axyridis), that Pellidon mentioned you might want to be careful about what you wish for.

Those "few" friends are likely to turn into thousands who don't want to leave until springtime. They also leave stains & an odor if you aren't careful.

Oh, and they bite.

I don't think it's the same two anymore. I've sadly found a handful of dead ones. The ones which I've found alive are very harmless. No biting, no stains, no horrible smells. :)