L4 Tail Switch Not Working

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had this L4 for less than a week, and it's broken already. As if it weren't bad enough that I just returned two L4s because of missing gaskets, my last remaining L4 has failed me.

I was sitting in front of my computer when I felt the burning sensation in my leg. I discovered that the light was on and that the clickie would not click, so I twisted the tail section to turn the light off. After some playing with the switch, I got it clicking again. But the light stays stuck in the "on" position regardless of how many times I click.

I guess I'm asking for advice about what to do, but I'm afraid the answer will be to send it back. That means talking to that surly guy on the phone and then giving up my light. And this particular one is actually bluish white -- a keeper.

Somebody please tell me it's easy to fix, that there is a magic incantation that will restore it.

Paul

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried to rotate the tail switch at all? Try putting it in the lock-out position. Does it still stay on? My switch has been a little weird today too, but I have been able to play with it, and get it to work again.

Shark

Enlightened
Just tell them the tail switch failed they will most likely send one out right away and you can send in the failed part at your convenience. They have been known to do this before especialy with new products.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Paul,

Put a standard LOTC on the light and just send back the clickie switch. This assumes that you have a LOTC you can use. There is nothing wrong with the KL4 from your discription.

-Don

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

Yes, I can borrow a standard LOTC from an E2e. Your assumption is correct -- the KL4 is just fine.

The message that seems to underlie what you say is that SF probably won't require me to send in the whole light. If that's true, I feel a lot better.

Thanks for answering. I was hoping you were still up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Paul

Edit: I just now saw the other posts.

Aaron, Yes I have played with the rotating part and that has not helped.

Shark, I'm hoping you're right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
if the fault can be pinned down to a specific component, they'll just send out the component FOC, especially if its not an expensive part like a turbohead bezel or something. and i do prefer leds with a blue tint as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I just panicked last night when this happened. I had already read about the sending-the-component-back option before, but was unable to think clearly when the switch crapped out. Thanks to all.

Paul

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update:

I called SureFire -- talked with Doug, who was most helpful and said he would send me a new one. He tried to help me get a temporary fix on the existing switch. However, we were unsuccessful, for this appears to be a problem that is of a new type.

I asked how long it might take to get the new switch. He had left the phone earlier in the conversation to check on switch availability, and now told me that he had my new switch in his hand and would get it out right away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Paul

daveidmx

Newly Enlightened
count me in as the latest victim of switch failure. mine's still usable, however, as mine won't click "on" but still works momentary.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I'm just guessing that this is just some SureFire growing pains, and will get worked out pretty soon. The L4 and Z57 clicky switch are new, so there are bound to be some glitches.
Mine hasn't pooped out yet.