for comparison, what is the RW lumens 3C Mag-Lite?

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
The one real-world test I've seen comes from Doug's old website, FlashlightReviews.com, which found that a 3D Mag puts out about 35 lumens. (Presumably, a 3C Mag puts out less.) Technically, his lightbox said 23.00, which based on his lightbox-to-lumens conversion - in this case multiplying by 1.6 - yielded 36 lumens.

To be fair, Mag didn't list whether their number represents the "bulb" lumens or the "out-the-front" lumens. As I'm sure you know, OTF numbers are usually about 1/3 less than bulb lumens because of how much light is lost in the reflector, the lens, etc. (Maglite may also be measuring the lumens right at the start, with fresh batteries...but as we all know, brightness drops off quickly in the incan Mags.)

So according to Doug's test, a presumably brighter Mag puts out just 36 lumens to start with, and then quickly drops to half that after about an hour. These days, just about any decent keychain LED will provide twice the light. (Lightflux, Fenix, 4Sevens' lights - all of them should be able to whomp a 3C mag in terms of raw lumens). Of course, what those lights don't have is Mag's huge reflector, which focuses those 36 lumens into a very tight beam that throws forever. So even though the keychain lights may offer more lumens, they may not illuminate distant objects as well.

Hope this helps!

- FITP

P.S. I just discovered this thread, in which CPF member MrGman measured 50 "real" lumens from a 4D Mag LED in an integrating sphere. I'll let you determine how you want to compare this result to a 3C incan. Good luck!

Last edited:

GTSECC

Newly Enlightened
Ah, so is it safe to say that a Maratac AAA, or simillar light, is smaller? Brighter? Longer lasting?