Now Run Space Needles On 6AA's...

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Now Run Space Needles On 6AA\'s...

...and fear No One while you're at it!

You may remember the original Photon Baton (or "Assault And Batteries") that was custom machined for me and drove a 5W HD in a Mag 2C head and reflector:

fc398202.jpg

There were requests to make more of these, but I had to decline due to the couple of hundred dollars in machining costs required of each one, which would drive the selling price through the roof.

So for the last couple of months I have been carrying my one and only example in the world while on duty (and it has proven to acquit itself just fine, I must say), and then one day while using it, an idea struck me (yes, pun intended) and I thought of making a simple screw-on extension to fit the standard Mag 2C lights.

Not one to leave interesting ideas laying idle, I had one made up and it fits and works exactly as intended (original Photon Baton on right):

fbc4c609.jpg

There is no loss of structural strength as the internal tube extends fully up into the body to the bottom of the switch. This also obviates the need for a spacer tube for the much skinnier AA batteries:

fbc4c608.jpg

And wall thickness is the same as the original, just in case it is used for purposes other than shining:

fbc4c60b.jpg

Plus the additional length of the original Mag 2C body actually makes for a better and more versatile gripping area:

fbc4c60c.jpg

And the best thing? There is NO TAILCAP. The entire thing is machined from one solid billet of aluminum with a battery spring dropped down the end. The drilling operation alone is more tedious and time consuming, but the fact that there is no separate end piece to become damaged or unthreaded while in comba - er, use, makes the extra cost well worth it.

So here it finally is, for those who have been asking. This extension will enable several things:

1) economical operation with common AA batteries

2) versatility in having two different lengths of lights depending on one's needs

3) even the incandescent modders can get into the act and now run 5- or 6-cell bulbs (or even the high-performance Carley or Welch-Allyn offerings) yet revert to standard 2C format (although I can't see why anyone would).

If there is enough of a response on these battery extensions (and I am offering them ONLY as such -- use'em as whackin' tools at your own volition!), I have already worked out production details with a machine shop and a limited number could be made which would include all necessary parts such as o-rings, battery springs, even BLACK ANODIZING (no additional cost) for those with non-silver lights, plus shipping anywhere in the USA, all for $75.

Depending on demand, they could also be offered as options in subsequent batches of Space Needle II's, though of course they are primarily intended as retrofits for existing ones so that everyone can have their very own Assault And Batteries -- even the incandescent guys.

Please indicate right here if you think this should go ahead, and Thanks.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
Re: Now Run Space Needles On 6AA\'s...

very nice!!!

almost looks like county comm's new light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

on the black anodyzing....what type of annodyzing is it?

being somewhat of a machinist myself, i can just imagine how difficult these things would be to make! (by hand at least)

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Mr Bulk.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I would have jumped on this if I had not spent so much already in the past few days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Eeeekkkkk! Watch out baddies. Good add on Mr B!

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would be interested if we can use rechargeable nimh batteries for this. What do you think Charlie?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Hmmm...rechargeable AA nimhs would be okay IF you let them sit a day after coming off the charger. I am just afraid of the huge current spike they usually push out straight off the charger. OR use five batteries and a dummy AA. This would have the dual advantage of being able to use freshly charged nimhs as well as driving the light right at spec for eternal Luxeon life (well, maybe not eternal, but you know what I mean) with still very bright and usable output...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Why do you torture us so Charlie?

Of course I would WANT one... who wouldn't?

But I can't shell out 75 bucks at any time in the near future on something light related... I've been busted!

Hope they will be available sometime down the road...

S

spod

Sounds great to me, you can put me down for one (a black anodised one thanks), the space needle is the best torch I have ever owned by far (light output wise, at least).

freewheelin'

Enlightened

I'm in, especially if I could convince you to make it a complete SNII. I made the mistake of letting my dad take mine to Idaho camping and am having trouble getting him to return it now that he's home. He swears its perfect to strap on his dirt bike cause he doesn't have to worry about the bulb breaking and he can see anything snuffling aroung camp for several hundred yards. He's a convert, his first LED and he's gonna keep it I think.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
spod said:
Sounds great to me, you can put me down for one (a black anodised one thanks), the space needle is the best torch I have ever owned by far (light output wise, at least).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Spod... welcome to the living part of the CPF from a fellow Melbournian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

avusblue

Enlightened

I love my Space Needle II, but it's already large enough for my tastes. I will pass on this mod, but I'm sure there are others whom it suits to a tee.

Thanks for the heads up though, Charlie!

Dave

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast

Make mine in black, please.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Thanks for all the responses guys -- now for Dave (Freewheelin'), I can accommodate you on another light complete with this extension. But please e-mail me since your order is now different.

And if the rest of the respondees here could kindly keep an eye on this thread, so that if and when it becomes a live "Go", I will again post here asking for prepayments, just like everything else I have had the pleasure of providing for the kind (and woefully addicted) Flashoholics here...Muwahahahahahaaaa!

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Oh yeah, and PBJS, if these get produced it will be better for me to have a bigger run made so that there will indeed be units available down the road sometime...

D-LIGHT

Newly Enlightened

OK Charlie, count me in. If this keeps up, I might as well just have my paycheck deposited directly into your account and save the PayPal hassle.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I'm just about busted broke now (thanks to a recent flashlight mod purchase) so I'll have to pass on this, even though it would be the perfect accessory to my Space Needle II. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

lmitch

Newly Enlightened

Hmmm, if I were a LEO, I might consider, but if I am not shining, I'll use my Sig. My brother is LEO, but UC. I will tell him about it.

Thanks for the info Mr. Bulk, your products are the best! I love my SN, and can't wait for the pre-pay email for the P6 drop in!

Hasta,
Lar

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just noticed the $75 part, i'm not sure if I'm that interested in having a Spaceneedle II extension.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened

Hey, if this thing handles like the original then it's well worth the money (that thing is solid). Unfortunately it's money I don't have at the moment, but if they're still happening a little bit down the road then I'm probably in for one.