Good Walking Light

Bmccue1964

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a good walking flashlight which is rechargeable without memory effect. It should provide at least 3 hours +/- of light. It would also be nice to have it so it fits in some sort of wall charger. A laynard attachment is also desired so I can let it hang from my wrist.

Oh, yeah, cost should be less than $40.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recommend the PT Surge with rechargeable AA's it will give you 3-4 hours of really good light and cost around $30 + batteries and has a lanyard. However it will not go on a wall charger. I do not know of a light that will go on a wall charger and last 3 hours there are some that will last 1 to 1.5 hours but they are also in the $75 to $85 range.

Max

Enlightened
I happen to think that a CMG Infinity Ultra or an ARC AAA is not bright enough to be a good walking flashlight. I like my Lambda Illuminator as a walking flashlight, and I'd guess that you'd get similar results with an Streamlight 7LED 4AA or one of the 1W Luxeon flashlights. The PT Surge is significantly brighter if you want that.

WaltH

Enlightened
Spend the extra 30 bucks and get an ARC-LS second. Use rechargeable AA's and you won't be disappointed.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think SL4AA LED with NiMH would be the best bet. Lambda Illuminator and ArcLS is good too. However, you have to replace batteries on Illuminator and ArcLS during the walk as they both last around 1.5 hours per battery set. Replacing batteries in the dark for ArcLS is pretty easy in the dark and I don't have illuminator (2 ordered) that I couldn't comment.

I won't recommend drop in Luxeon pills that might not be too convenient to change batteries in the dark. Keeping an Infinity Ultra or ArcAAA handy is also highly recommended for the walk.

Alan

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Byron Walter:
Yeah, but none of these lights walk...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Although, some of them will run a long time...
smile.gif

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Alan:
I think SL4AA LED with NiMH would be the best bet. Alan
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Alan... do you have experience with this?

I'm looking for a good walking light to use with NiMHs. I just ordered a PT Attitude...but I'd like something brighter. I haven't found anyone with actual experience with SL4AA LED & NiMH but I've seen some very disturbing posts warning people away from lithiums with this light.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
princeton tec 40 with rechargable aa's. 3-5 hours of very bright light, waterproof and cheap.

around $13 which includes batteried and lanyard.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by tkl:
princeton tec 40 with rechargable aa's
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">But...don't forget to mention you'll need to add tin foil to the bottom of the Tec 40 if you are using NiMHs. Plus...it might very likely deform the tips or the bottoms of the NiMH due to the pressure the case exerts on the batteries.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by bmccue1964:
I'm looking for ...flashlight ..so it fits in some sort of wall charger.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I also agree that using NiMH batteries makes more sense that built in rechargeables. For one thing, you can get two sets and leave one in the charger, always fresh and ready to go (no waiting for the flashlight to recharge). You'd need to get the kind of charger that will switch to trickle charge after charging (I think the Rayovac 1 hr charger is like this).

Plus...in power failure, if the set in your flashlight still has charge left in it, you've got another set of freshly charged batteries for a radio or anything else you might want to power -if you make sure they all take the same size.
smile.gif

franken2

Newly Enlightened
my pt40 runs for 1.75 hours on rayovac 1600 mah nimh's. very bright! my streamlight 4aa 7led runs very bright on the same batts for i don't know how long yet.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by ikendu:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Alan:
I think SL4AA LED with NiMH would be the best bet. Alan
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Alan... do you have experience with this?

I'm looking for a good walking light to use with NiMHs. I just ordered a PT Attitude...but I'd like something brighter. I haven't found anyone with actual experience with SL4AA LED & NiMH but I've seen some very disturbing posts warning people away from lithiums with this light.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'll be testing SL4AA LED w NiMH Sanyo 1850ma and Lambda Illuminators w Panasonic 2000ma on Nov. 2 and all these lights should be arrived by then. I'll let you know the result - if it melt like the one Brightnorm has:)

Alan

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not a rechargable light (you could use rechargable batteries in it though), and I would recommend the Streamlight 3C, 10 LED light.

I really like this light for the wide, even white light that it puts out. My LGI 3AA LS led is brighter, but I actually perfer this for the wide angle of light.

Bmccue1964

Newly Enlightened
Well, I ended up buying a Garrity (sp?) 2-D flashlight with a good sized mult-faceted reflector for about $6.00 at Wally World. In addition, I purchased 2 Renewal "D" cells. Light has rubber gripping surface, wrist strap, and easy to use switch. Excellent light output. Nice feel.

Batteries cost more $$$ than the light!