Polarion PF40 with lamp of PF50 is possible?

andromeda.73

Banned
I know some of you more 'informed if it were possible to replace the lamp model with that of the PF40 model PF50 should replace other components? There are no contraindications?

vee73

Newly Enlightened
Yes it is possible. The only difference is Ballast suits both physically and technically.
It is a different thing then what you get 50W ballast. Not for anything. Except for some PH / PF 50W lamp.

andromeda.73

Banned
I do not understand one thing, use polarion PF/PH40 Osram D1S, but the power of 3200 lum is declared lum while the 4200 lum is installed on polarion. :eek:oo:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I do not understand one thing, use polarion PF/PH40 Osram D1S, but the power of 3200 lum is declared lum while the 4200 lum is installed on polarion. :eek:oo:

The more watts being sent to the bulb, the higher the lumen output. Same 35W bulb for all Polarion lights.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the contribution, then the lamp used by polarion is manufactured by Osram? :naughty:

Yes, a standard Osram (Sylvania) D1S 4200-4300K. They remove the metal shielding box over the igniter (easy) and modify the return wire They remove ceramic tube and move return wire closer and re-spot weld the connection at the tip.

Note: Osram changed the support structure of their bulb design about 1.5 years ago. The newer production bulbs have a 4 prong metal support style for the glass tube of the bulb, while the older ones (most of you likely have) the glass tube is held into the igniter box with some special High temp adhesive. The decided to mimic Philips and GE I believe for 3 reasons, cheaper (easier) manufactuting process and better heat management of the bulb glass temps. Less outgassing issues when the bulb glass is hot. Managing the heat better provides a better life of the pinches (glass seal) either side of the arc chamber (no leaks). This becomes a much bigger problem when driving at higher than 35 watts as well.

Last edited:

liteitup

Newly Enlightened
The watt rating of the bulb only means how much energy that bulb is rated for to run dependably. It will be as bright as the amount of electricity the ballast is putting through it. The 35 watt bulb being run at at 50 watts will shorten its life, but nothing of relevance especially in a spot light application.

So to reiterate what has been said, the ballast determines how bright the bulb will be. The watt rating on the bulb is how much power that bulb can take dependably from the ballast. An hid bulb is nothing but 2 electrodes with a gap in a gas chamber(well basically, obviously it more complicated then that). The more power you run through it the more pressure there is in the chamber so a higher wattage bulb needs to have a larger chamber to manage that pressure, such as the dl-50 fatboy bulb. hope this helps a little