Fear justified with drake/draco?

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
I current have my AAA Killer as my necklace that'll EDC 24/7/12/365, but I always wanted a light that's smaller, brighter and uses rechargeable.

So far, the best that i can think of is draco/drake Ti, but I just always get this feeling that those small unprotected li-ions in it will one just suddenly blow up in front of my chest.

Am I just being paranoid, what are the chances of that happening?

Thank you.

amigafan2003

Enlightened
Unprotected lion don't usually blow up when in a torch - it's charging bit that you need to be cautious with.

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure that the fear is unjustified. Lummi's "wee" lights and modmag's dracos all use unprotected 10180 batteries, and you just don't hear about too many exploding front pockets (or chest hair fires, depending on where you carry it).

Give in to the dark side, and just buy the Draco. Of all the 80+ lights I own, the Draco is still unquestionably my favorite.

- FITP

chorlton

Newly Enlightened
My Ti Drake is the business! I run my 10180's down below half charge all the time and they recharge fine in my nano charger

Incidentalist

Enlightened
The only thing to fear is that you'll like it so much you're going to need the smaller/larger sibling to go along with your initial choice. Geat lights!

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been wearing my Ti Draco on a necklace for several years now without any problems. About the only special handling I give it is to swap in a freshly charged cell fairly soon after I've given it any serious runtime.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've ruined Wee, Raw and a few 10440 cells in my time by running down too far. Sometimes to 0v. So far not even had one vent. Just a flat and useless battery.

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
been wearing one for about 3 years.
modamag mentioned this in the endless draco thread. said he purposely abused and tried to make one vent. he believes the 10180 and 10280 dont have the energy. Hope he is right.