Need some help with 12v regulation (hid mag build)

spc

Enlightened
Hey guys,

I'm planning on a build that consists of a 2d maglite and the WA 14w ballast. This ballast runs at around 12v (9v-16v to be exact). I would like to run it off 8aa nimh cells but the voltage is a little low to run the ballast near spec. Also would like to run it off 2x imr 26650 cells but same thing- voltage too low.

Is there a driver that I could use to bump the voltage up? When running I believe the ballast uses less than 2 amps. But startup may use 5 amps for less than a second though..

Maybe it would be ok to run 6x aa sized li-ions in a 2x3 parallel configuration giving about 12.6v?

Any ideas appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there a driver that I could use to bump the voltage up? When running I believe the ballast uses less than 2 amps. But startup may use 5 amps for less than a second though..
Don't know if there is one ready available, but one could certainly be constructed (though maybe not economically). But from only a technical perspective, you're likely to suffer 15% or more efficiency penalty -- not good.

Maybe it would be ok to run 6x aa sized li-ions in a 2x3 parallel configuration giving about 12.6v?
Should be ok, but kinda low capacity.

If you like the 8xAA option, you could try the NiZn AAs (brand is powergenix, IIRC); basically same energy as Eneloops, but more V, less Ah. These want CC/CV charging like Li-ion, though, so either balance taps or disassembling to charge would be best. (You can get 4 cells with a 4-slot charger, so 2 of those would work.)

Or on the Li-ion side, how about 3xC-sized Li-ion? Either AW's IMR26500 (only 2.3Ah) or DX's no-name LiCo 25500s (about 3Ah, but unbranded, unprotected cells with the potential to go boom make lots of folks understandably nervous) would handily beat the other options in capacity. I don't know the behavior of the 14W ballast, but if it cuts out at 9V or a hair below, it would be quite nicely suited to a 3s Li-ion battery, as it would automatically prevent overdischarge.

spc

Enlightened
Thanks Benson, I forgot that 3 "c" cells would fit (with some spring/tailcap modding). I wanted to keep it 2d size - to look oem.

I guess this thread can turn into a build thread with beamshots and so-forth, as thats the combo I will use. :thumbsup: