Zebralight SC30 Cold Weather Operation

imreman

Newly Enlightened
I've been following this forum for over a year but this is my first post, so I wanted to first thank everyone for all the valuable information.

I just got the Zebralight SC30 and really love this thing. Unbelievably small and powerful light w/an awesome UI. Only problem I've noticed is getting light to operate in cold weather in high (L6) mode and wanted to see if this is common/expected. (I tried to search and read up on everything first but couldn't find anything on this specific issue.)

I had it on a lanyard walking dogs in 20* F (which i usually do w/my SF E1B w/no problems) and after only 10 min it would only blink for a second and go out when attempting quick click to high mode. Since it would not stay on in high mode, I couldn't double click to L5. Cycling from low to high would work for low and medium, but then quick flash in high and it would go out. If I warmed it up for 5 min or so in my pocket it would function again normally until it got cold again. After messing around with it more when I got home up and let it warm up fully, I double clicked it to L5 and then threw into the freezer for awhile. Afterwards the L5 would work fine - but as soon as I'd double click for L6, it would flash and go out and then I couldn't return it to L5 until it would fully warm up again. It seems the only way for me to have a high setting when the light is cold is to make sure I remember to leave it set on L5 before heading out and then make sure not to double click it in high mode. I hope this is an anomaly b/c I was hoping to use this for ice fishing, winter camping, etc. and would love for it to fire up on either high setting whenever I need it.

Even with this issue, I'm still very happy with this light - just maybe won't be able to keep it outside my jacket or on the headband in the cold. Sorry, almost forgot - I'm running new SF123A primaries.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure what's going on, but here are my guesses:

1. The battery's voltage is too low to support the full output. Try a new battery?

2. The light has a thermal protection mode, or a time limit, that is kicking it out of the full output.

I have the Zebralight H60 and if you put it on max output it will only go for 10 minutes and then switch to a lower mode. This is to prevent over heating. The high mode is more of a burst mode and shouldn't be used for long periods of time. Maybe the SC30 is similar.

I just saw the SC30 for the first time, it looks really awesome.

imreman

Newly Enlightened
I tried another new SF123A but still having the same result when it's cold. If it's not too much trouble, can anyone else w/this light trying tossing it in the freezer for 10 min and then see if it will fire up in high mode (L6) - and be able to double click back and forth between the two high settings? I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Also, here are a few pics of my lanyard setup. Just three mini split rings, a SF clip and some cord...

DSC09847.jpg

DSC09851.jpg

DSC09853.jpg

DSC09841.jpg

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
I know this is bringing up an old thread but it doesn't look like there was a resolution...

I just ordered this SC30 minutes before I stumbled on this thread. I also intend to use this light in cold weather and I really hope I dont experience the same issue.

Have you received any more input on this? Do you still have this problem? Do you have the same problem with rechargeables, or only primaries?

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I will be bummed if this is expected behavior... Anyone?

PS. OP, I dig your lanyard setup!

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Hi!
I recall there was some talk earlier about the SC30 not working on high on partially depleted batteries. It worked on level 1-5 but not level 6.
The issue was solved or at least clarified then as a voltage problem.

I run my SC30w on RCR123 and have not had any troubles.
My Quark mini runs fine on high on a CR123 that measures 2.93 V, when I put that battery in the SC30w it doesn't work on high.

So I also tried a "freezer" test today (-22 C / 45 min):

SC30w with RCR123 roomtemp (4,02 V): high works fine
SC30w with RCR123 cold (4,01 V): high works fine
SC30w with CR123 roomtemp (3,23 V): high works fine
SC30w with CR123 cold (3,23 V): high doesn't work, level 1-5 works fine

As you see the voltage does not go down after the battery has been in the freezer but that is with no load, I think it does when it is under load but I can't test that.

To sum it up I think the SC30 does not work on highest level with to low voltage and that could be either partially depleted battery or cold battery.

With RCR123 you will not have problems.

If you use primaries I don't think you will have to much problems as long as you keep it warm in your pocket if it is cold outside and then it will keep warm by itself when you run it I guess.
About partially depleted cells you can suck that last juice out with the lower levels or another flashlight.

ky70

Banned
I run my SC30w on RCR123 and have not had any troubles.[/FONT][/SIZE]
My Quark mini runs fine on high on a CR123 that measures 2.93 V, when I put that battery in the SC30w it doesn't work on high.

So I also tried a "freezer" test today (-22 C / 45 min):

SC30w with RCR123 roomtemp (4,02 V): high works fine
SC30w with RCR123 cold (4,01 V): high works fine
SC30w with CR123 roomtemp (3,23 V): high works fine
SC30w with CR123 cold (3,23 V): high doesn't work, level 1-5 works fine

As you see the voltage does not go down after the battery has been in the freezer but that is with no load, I think it does when it is under load but I can't test that.

To sum it up I think the SC30 does not work on highest level with to low voltage and that could be either partially depleted battery or cold battery.

Thanks for giving us this great data!! But my question is, if the light is running on a 3.7v rcr123 (which charges up to 4.2v), should the light be expected to operate for long with the cell below 3.6/3.5 (as I thought these cells are considered "empty" below 3.6/3.5v)?

I have the SC50 and I look at the light only operating in the lower modes on a low voltage battery as a bonus becuase 1) you get extended runtime with the light working in lower less battery draing modes and 2) it acts as indicator that your cell is getting low and needs changing.

Last edited:

GunnarGG

Enlightened
The SC30 doesn't have a low voltage protection as far as I know.
So I guess it will continue on low modes a little longer on a 3,0 V primary battery till it's more completely drained.
On a 3,7 V Li-ion it will also run down to about 3,0 V (unless the PCB kicks in before) and that would mean that you have drained the cell to much.

The SC50, which I don't have, on the other hand is a AA light that runs on 1,2 V NiMH, 1,5 V alkaline and lithiums and 3,7 V Li-ion.
So the light will probably run to about 1 V.

I don't know if it has a low voltage protection for Li-ion (could not find that it has on a quick search). If it doesn't have a low voltage protection then the PCB will kick in when the voltage get to low. It would be best to charge your cell before that happens.