1xAA or 2xAA?

Cman219

Newly Enlightened
So here's whats been bugging me for a few days. Whats a better light configuration, 1xAA or 2xAA? I get a smaller sleeker looking light with 1xAA but the output and runtime are just not comparable to a 2xAA. This light i plan to keep in the house as a general use light, but wouldn't mind taking with me to say a camping trip.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
One isn't really better than the other, its really about preference and use. The only real benefit to the 1xAA format is the size. If you plan to be keeping this light in your pocket alot, go with the 1xAA, if not go with a 2xAA light.

One option is to get a light that can be configurable as both, for example the quark. Get one quark head and two bodies, and then have your pick.

amigafan2003

Enlightened
Get one quark head and two bodies, and then have your pick.

Doesn't work as a month later you end up buying a spare head and switch anyway :paypal: So I'd say buy a 1xAA light AND a 2xAA light straight away :)

shark_za

Enlightened
Get the 1AA that can use 14500's.

The only reason the 2AA gives extra power is the voltage and this is beaten by the 14500.

So best of both worlds, the only loss is runtime.
Carry spare cells.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

The only reason the 2AA gives extra power is the voltage and this is beaten by the 14500.

Carry spare cells.

+1 on the output of a 1xAA light on 14500

Cheapskate

Enlightened

Carry spare cells.

Spot on.

If you need more than 1AA/14500 can provide, torches that take an 18650 are the next logical progression, not 2 x AA.

pobox1475

Enlightened
torches that take an 18650 are the next logical progression, not 2 x AA.
Or something like a Quark 123x2 running a 17670.

Also if you go with an AA get some Eneloops and a decent charger. Alkalines will leak if left in light and in some cases within a short period of time :rant:...

AlexLED

Enlightened

Carry spare cells.

+1 :)

Especially, because for 2 AA lights you need to ensure both cells are even !
If they are not (which is the case most of the time ;) ), output and runtime (and cell-life) will suffer badly !!
I really love the possibility to use every single of my AA cells regardless of it's state-of-charge (and point in time of their life-cycle ;) ).

And yes, next in line would be 1x 18650. :)

Last edited:

ky70

Banned
Hello Folks,

My first post here and I have been enjoying reading this forum over the last week or so. Whatever level novice is, I'm below that so I really do appreciate your input.

I'm drawn to the pocket sized torch flashlights with AA capabilities because of the easy availibility of additional AA batteries. Those who prefer the 14500 and use there flashlight as an EDC, do you carry AA batteries as backups or do you carry additional 14500s? Thanks!

AlexLED

Enlightened
Hi Ky, glad you appreciate !

Since 14500 are more expensive, I usually just carry 1-2 regular cells as spare. With LSD (eg. Eneloops) you don't even have to worry about self-discharge.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
....Whats a better light configuration, 1xAA or 2xAA? ...This light i plan to keep in the house as a general use light, but wouldn't mind taking with me to say a camping trip.

I would use a 2AA light for general home or hiking/walking because a 2AA light is easier to hold (especially while wearing gloves) and a 1AA light for EDC because the 1AA light is easier to pocket carry.

Warp

Enlightened
I, personally, would never consider a 1xAA light for around the house use. The output, well, leaves a lot to be desired and will be noticeable if and when you use it outdoors. Plus, as mentioned above, that nice small pocket size can be more difficult to hold onto. The only advantage I see to a 1xAA is that it will fit more readily in your pocket. BUT since you don't intend to carry it...why compromise on everything else?

pobox1475

Enlightened
Carry an Eneloop in a Quark Mini. A back-up light always trumps a spare cell. The Mini's are not much bigger then the battery anyway. Since topping-off is possible with Li-Ions after moderate use you will only run out of juice if used for an extensive amount of time. Avoid alkalines.

Cman219

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input everyone. It looks like the majority of you prefer 1xAA because of the 14500 option. The problem is, i'm not really a big fan of the Li-Ion batteries since i have to baby them and buy a reliable charger etc. But yea thats another consideration i had; If i have a 2xAA light, i would need 2 batteries to operate it everytime.

bfksc

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input everyone. It looks like the majority of you prefer 1xAA because of the 14500 option. The problem is, i'm not really a big fan of the Li-Ion batteries since i have to baby them and buy a reliable charger etc. But yea thats another consideration i had; If i have a 2xAA light, i would need 2 batteries to operate it everytime.
I went with the Quark AAx2 because of the higher output and longer runtimes over the AA version. Granted you can go with a 14500 to get higher output with a single AA model, but that means buying the cells and a charger for them if you don't already have the gear. I already have several Duraloops and a good smart charger so the AAx2 was the obvious choice for me. But of course, opinions vary.
:popcorn:

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
1xAA for me. Fenix L2D is my only (and last for a long time) multi-cell light.

-Better size, more pocketable
-14500 is great
-Easier to find 1AA in a pinch than 2 (esp. if you want them matched at all).

ky70,
I run 14500 in my Quark AA-T R5 and I also carry an additional charged 14500 and one Energizer L91 as well. I carry the L91 because of the good anti-cold characteristics it has.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
A longer AA is a joy to hold. As for ease of carry: C'mon: Nothing is taking up space in the upper half of your pocket, anyway. Know what light I carry on my keyring in my front pants pocket? A 3AA FiveMega.

Guys, you should know better than to mention lithium-ions in this thread. If someone is asking about 1AA vs 2AA, it's a safe bet he welcomes the ubiquity of 1.2V, 1.5V, and 1.7V cells.

BTW, I'm switching from 1.2V nickel-metal hydride AA cells to 1.6V nickel-zinc rechargeables. The switch will make my emitter options much more interesting.

blub

Enlightened
Buy a Quark AA and you can run a single 14500 if you wanted, get the extra AA2 tube for $20 more, then you'll have both but don't run 2 14500s or it'll poof.

Last edited: