Buy new flashlights or upgrade existing?

lardydevil

Newly Enlightened
Hi there! I'm new to CPF. Just stumbled across this site whilst trying to research a new purchase. Sorry if this has been covered before, but I'd love the benefit of all your experience!

I'm thinking about replacing my current work flashlights. I've had them for about 12 years and they have served me well with no complaints. But it seems as if technology has moved on and I could do better?

My primary flashlight is an original surefire 9p with a solarfore R2 lamp assembly. It claimed to have nearly 300 lumens output in the ad. I doubt thats true but it is noticably brighter and the batteries last longer!

My backup light is an original surefire 6p, with no mods.

I'm a paramedic so I need a highly rugged and robust light that can withstand all the elements, being dropped etc. (My surefires have been really abused over the years and never failed!).

I would like a clicky type on-off tail switch which has a momentary on whilst lightly pressed (don't know the correct term for that, sorry).

Perhaps also a crennelated bezel for defensive purposes?

Would you recommend keeping the torch bodies and replacing the lamp/lamps, tailswitch and perhaps bezel? Or would it be more cost effective to get 2 new flashlights altogether? I'm on a fairly tight budget.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
my main light is an 18650 modded 6P w. additional clicky ...

keep the lights and get some inserts, f.e. this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.32953
works good with 2*CR123, with single Li-Ion its not so good.
the machining work and the feel is perfect with SF. And that those crappy inserts offer only a bad thermal path and thus wont work too good: skip that! When it really gets bad in some years, there will be much better ones available.

but consider: most any COMPLETE light of a good quality maker (Fenix, Jetbeam, Quark from 4sevens, ...) costs less than the clicky for the 6P.
And gives You multimode
and (usually) is a bit smaller (single diameter)
and (some) can be run with an 18650 Li-Ion
(rechargeable is the only option for someone using a light often)

PS, ANY aditional edge, and bezel, and whatever other armchair hero thingy added, does just one thing:
makes it more awful to pocket the light.

glockboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vote buy new flashlights.
Take a look at the Quark 2-123 R5 Tactical, and the Mini 123 for back up.
If you like the new lights, sell your SF and even out the money.

Last edited:

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
My philosophy when it comes to modifying flashlights is that you only do it if you like D-I-Y projects and get a sense of personal satisfaction when you know that you did something yourself with your own two hands. If you make mistakes and the light doesn't outperform commonly available ones, then be prepared to accept those and not worry about them because you did it yourself and that's all that matters to you. If you're like me and you love to modify everything you come across and the journey, not necessarily the final destination, is what you love then by all means go for it. If you're not a D-I-Y guy (it's either in your blood or not) then steer clear of flashlight modifications and just get out your cash instead.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Hi there! I'm new to CPF. Just stumbled across this site whilst trying to research a new purchase. Sorry if this has been covered before, but I'd love the benefit of all your experience!

I'm thinking about replacing my current work flashlights. I've had them for about 12 years and they have served me well with no complaints. But it seems as if technology has moved on and I could do better?

My primary flashlight is an original surefire 9p with a solarfore R2 lamp assembly. It claimed to have nearly 300 lumens output in the ad. I doubt thats true but it is noticably brighter and the batteries last longer!

My backup light is an original surefire 6p, with no mods.

I'm a paramedic so I need a highly rugged and robust light that can withstand all the elements, being dropped etc. (My surefires have been really abused over the years and never failed!).

I would like a clicky type on-off tail switch which has a momentary on whilst lightly pressed (don't know the correct term for that, sorry).

Perhaps also a crennelated bezel for defensive purposes?

Would you recommend keeping the torch bodies and replacing the lamp/lamps, tailswitch and perhaps bezel? Or would it be more cost effective to get 2 new flashlights altogether? I'm on a fairly tight budget.

If durability and reliability are critical (and they sound like they are if peoples lives are depending on you), stick with the Z41 twist tailcap. IMHO nothing in the hand held industry has its track record of reliability and durability. (this is just my opinion since product failure data does not exist).

Electronguru has a McClicky tailcap upgrade that you might be interested in. I would opt for this, if you absolutely must have a click switch. That would provide you with the forward-momentary + click operation you desire.
LINK

Solarforce also makes a nice forward momentary switch.
LINK

If theres nothing that you physically dislike about either the 9P or 6P, then by all means stick with those and just upgrade the module with a drop in of your choice. LEDs are evolving constantly, the SST and XPG emitters are now the way to go for maximum brightness. The nice thing about P60 hosts is that they never get out-dated with emitter evolution.

Attack / strike bezels are kind of nice to look at, but they block side emitted light. I have one on my G2, and its kind of fun in a gimickey way.
dscn6025z.jpg

Last edited:

lardydevil

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your advice everyone, its good to hear your opinions.

There are some good lights out there. In the UK at the moment Fenix seem particularly good value. But I think I'll be best off getting a couple of good drop in modules. There's nothing wrong with the 6p & 9p bodies and it looks like I can get slightly better performance for slightly less money. As much as I'd love to undertake a full upgrade package I don't have the technical experience or knowledge, so I'd have to keep it simple.

I'll have a look at a clicky tail cap, but perhaps leave the bezel? The pocket issue isn't a problem because they are always in a duty belt pouch. But maybe cutting down the side angle of light would be annoying?

I am kind of brand loyal to Surefire as they've never let me down in over 12 years. (Even my cheap R2 lamp has been good!) I don't mind using CR123's either as I can get them pretty cheap (about $1.50 each).

Unless there's something I've not thought of I think I'm there! Now I guess find some overtime to afford something like a Malkoff MC-E...?!

Mike 208

Enlightened
I think you're making the right choice staying with the Surefire lights. I believe your best course of action would be to invest in LED drop-in modules (IMO Malkoff's are best, but the Surefire ones would work). If you are set on having a "click" switch, I would check out the Surefire click tailcaps. You have lights that are "rock solid" and that have proven themselves with you for 12+ years - why change? These upgrades may be expensive, but when lives are on the line, I think the expense is worth it. Stay safe.

carrot

Flashaholic
Stick with the Surefires and make the jump to Malkoff drop-ins. They are as good as it gets. Even the regular M60 and upcoming M61 are excellent, loads better than your average drop-in. The M60 MC-E may be exciting and exotic but don't rule out the regular M60!

I think you should stay away from cheap clickies. McGizmo's McClicky, as offered in the ElectronGuru package, alluded to by another member, is considered one of the best on the market, and Surefire's C-series (that means 6P compatible) clickies are also among the best and robust.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If a light has sentimental value, upgrade it.

If not, buy a new one. Sell the old one, keep it for use as a back-up, or give it away to a needy person.

lardydevil

Newly Enlightened
Reading the tech specs the Malkoff M60 would be just as good as the MC-E for my line of work and half the price. Thats going to be a purchase, maybe two. The McClicky tailswitch looks good value, I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks everyone!!!

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is definitely nothing wrong with sticking with your tried and trusted 6P and 9P lights. Since reliability sounds like a very strong consideration, I'd recommend getting a Malkoff drop-in and a SureFire Z59 tailap (if you really want a clicky), or SureFire Z49 tailcap.

Or...

Pick up a SureFire E2DL and keep the 6P/9P as backup lights. The E2DL has a clicky (with momentary on as well), a crenelated strike bezel, and has a very bright high mode as well as a very useful low mode. I think this light pretty much fits your description perfectly. The E2DL can probably be found for around $130 in the US if you look around. :)

-Robert

pilote

Newly Enlightened
an EMT guy?...just upgrade your SF's with malkoff m60L or LL (you can get these NOW, discounted)...you don't need the blinding light of the m60, m61, or mc-e versions in your biz (and you can't get them anyways cause they're out till whenever)...and if you really want to save and still get a tremendous upgrade, just get the surefire p60L led drop-in (usually $20-30 in the marketplace); perfectly fine light unless you're a lumen freak...get the z59 clicky and you're back in biz "today"...

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like you like the lights you already have, you just want a clicky. Then you should get the Z58 (ha) or Z59 (black) Surefire clicky switch. I doubt any Fenix or Quark type light is going to last you anywhere near 12 years like the Surefire's have so far. Maybe more like one tenth that or less if they're being lighty abused under use. And the Surefire's have that unbeatable lifetime warranty.

lardydevil

Newly Enlightened
I'm definately sticking with the surefires now. I'm liking the M60 drop in. Its got the 'blinding light' I like and a good throw, plus half the price of the M60 MC-E. I'm also tempted to go for the surefire clicky just because of the name. The E2DL looks exactly like what I'm after, but over here its over $200, so the upgrades are significantly cheaper!

These flashlights aren't for detailed up close work, we've got issue small feeble AA mag type things for that. Plus a lot of us use a Peli versabrite VB3 clipped to our mic loops at night. I work in quite a rural area so spend a lot of time in woods & fields at night. When I do get jobs in town they are not in good area's, so the tactical use of the light is appreciated (remember we have no pepper spray, baton, tazer here and you wouldn't believe some of the situations I've been in!!!).

Once again I appreciate everyones advice, its been very helpful!

carrot

Flashaholic
When I do get jobs in town they are not in good area's, so the tactical use of the light is appreciated (remember we have no pepper spray, baton, tazer here and you wouldn't believe some of the situations I've been in!!!).

Yes, but I hear those EMT shears can cut through anything! :thumbsup:

In any case, do come back and tell us how the M60 or M61 works out for you...

Mike 208

Enlightened
"Strike" bezels are available from Surefire that will fit both the 6P and 9P. Some after-market companies also make strike bezels that fit Surefire lights that cost less, but I don't know about the quality.