What's everyone's favorite type of Beamshots?

andyw513

Enlightened
My beamshots are almost biased. I tend to prefer outdoor beamshots with high-powered lights used, as opposed to indoor tactical beamshots. This is due to me being outdoors more than indoors, I'm always searching for the next biggest search/spotlight as well.

So, I guess this thread will be different for some, but I was just curious as to how many tactical flashaholics compare with distance.

andyw513

Enlightened
Hear Hear, I agree 420. Outdoors shots always appealed to me to being the "proving ground" for how useful the light was. Well, that is, until all these diffusers started hitting the markets heavily.

wingnut86

Banned
I prefer the outdoor beam shots. It really shows what a light is capable of. Most lights that I have used, are fairly adequate indoors. Unless of course it's a true tactical situation, in which a P60 through P91 is more than enough for...Infact, I think the Surefire beams are perfect for that situation.

DM51

Flashaholic
Outdoor, no doubt about it! However, indoor shots are useful for comparing the beam shapes of different pocket-size lights.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outdoor too. Where a light's potential is fully revealed.

I Know Nothing

Newly Enlightened
Outdoor beamshots are harder to do well to get an accurate impression... at least when I tried to do some with my cheapish camera (Canon Powershot A520) they bore little resemblance to what my eyes were seeing at first efforts. The ones I did indoors turned out ok.

jsmitty1967

Newly Enlightened
I like indoor becasue if there are any articfacts or rings at a all they will show up close range. If the beam is flawless at say 6' it will be fine at outdoor distances. I do like how a lights throw shows up in outdoor shots.

Magic Matt

Enlightened
I like beamshots that are in the environment for which they are intended to be used. Artifact studying is, to me, pointless. Show me how far down a path it illuminates, and how much flood there is, when out in the real world. After all, I'm not going to be sitting in front of a white wall holding a flashlight.

vudoo

Enlightened
Outdoor beamshots for sure as thats where 80% of my lights are used and I want to see how they really look.

Indoor beamshots are useful though for smaller EDC lights that get used indoors or closeup usage

vudoo

Enlightened
I especially like an find useful the outdoor shots where the light is mounted on a stand and the photo is taken from either behind or on the side.

That way you can see what the output is and also how far/wide the beam really goes

Potato42

Newly Enlightened
I didn't like the narrow choices so I didn't vote, but I much prefer outdoor shots. What I like is much different than most though, I'll explain;

The vast majority of outdoor beamshots I see use a central focus point for the light about 100yds distant. Typically they shine down some sort of open path with trees, bushes, or other objects along the side that can be illuminated by the spill. This is fine if your goal is to have a thrower, but I prefer my beams floody. Very floody. I like to see beamshots at a much closer distance outside. Much like the white wall stuff you see, but further and of course outside. Ideally I'd like to see pictures or video that show the light in action instead of only focused on a single point.

Among the many issues with white wall photography are bounce lighting and in general a lack of distance to the target wall. I wouldn't mind closer distances IF the lights used were appropriately floody, and IF the photographer had a suitable wide angle lens. Still, I like a real life target and not a wall.

As for the typical outdoor distance stuff, it makes it difficult for me to judge a light on the criteria I find important. I end up looking at the intensity of the spill and the angle of the beam from the torch. I want to see how even the illumination is, but since the hotspot is focused far away this is almost impossible. White wall has the advantage here. Sometimes I see some shots that have a number of targets outside the main beam path and could be very useful for what I am interested in, but they fail to give relative distances along the way to the final target. This makes it impossible for me to make an accurate assessment of the spill illumination at a given distance.

My absolute ideal would be an animated gif showing the light on full power at a number of distances from a few feet maybe even up to 100yds. I'd be most interested in seeing illumination from 30-50 ft. A number of different targets would be shown. It is important to me that a wide enough lens be utilized so that the spill can be seen edge to edge even at very close distances. If the light showed a significantly different beam pattern at lower brightnesses, then you could photograph that as well. If not, well then just darken the image in your favorite program (may not be perfect, but gives you an idea). I fail to see why it's so important for some reviewers to show the lesser brightness levels with additional images rather than alternative targets. Also make sure to include any and all variables about the pictures! Not just camera exposures, but batteries utilized, reflector type, and maybe even moon phase. A pretty good example of what I like in video form is the typical review from goinggear (goingprepared) on youtube.

I do realize that there are some drawbacks to my ideal beamshots. First and foremost they would be very difficult to duplicate in a precise manner. If you were to photograph a number of lights in the same evening, that would be an easy challange. To come back and repeat the process days of weeks later would be more difficult. Outdoor targets such as trees and shrubs change over time, making comparison difficult. This can be overcome by selecting targets such as buildings, fences, vehicles etc that are not affected by time or weather in the same manner. Speaking of weather, a blanket of snow will kill any sort of accurate comparison unless the goal is to see how the light works in that particular circumstance.

I'm sure I left out a lot, but I'd say it's a good start.

EV_007

Enlightened
Having shot a few beamshots myself, I have to say that the outdoor ones seem more useful, although white wall hunting is useful in determining tint as long as the white balance is locked in.