MAG 2AA LED Rebel and Energizer Lithiums

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to try these batteries but I believe I read somewhere that Mag recommends not using them in the AA LED lights. Has anyone ran energizer lithiums in the 2AA LED minimag and if so is there and chance of damaging the LED?

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Energizer AA lithium batteries in the new multimode 2AA Maglite LED flashlight. I ran it on the HIGH setting for 20 minutes almost without stop last night. No problem so far.

Tesla

Enlightened
I have them in mine, but admittedly, it doesn't get as much use as my other lights. Given the relatively low price of the Maglite, I'm not very concerned about them damaging it. I used them in my previous generation LED Mini-Mag and had no problems, either.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that Mag was referring to was lithium-ion rechargeables. Those have much higer voltages than lithium primaries. Lithium primaries will work fine in most devices as a direct replacement for alkaline.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ran energizer lithiums once in the previous gen mini mag LED and the light became very warm, almost hot, after 5 or 6 mins on, which I'm pretty sure isn't normal for a 3AA mini mag. Has anyone else experienced their mini mag getting hot? $18 or not, I don't want to risk any damage to this light.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
For 3AA, it's probably not good because the lithiums would be putting out close to 5V. 2AA would be fine as voltage boost is still needed.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2AA will probably be fine, but the 3AA won't work (you would get even more overheating or a :poof: compared to the lithiums mentioned two posts above).

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well last week my 0.95mm Thick AR Coated Lens from flashlightlens.com came. After installing it and running energizer ultimate lithiums I have to say the difference over the stock lens and duracells is quite dramatic. I kind of eating my words now, stock I believed the 2AA was putting out around 40 to 45 OFT, mainly because I was using it outdoors with ambient light. But wall hunting inside compairing it to my 6P LED it do believe that mags rating of 69 lum is correct. This might sound like a stupid question but, is the 2AA Rebel LED regulated when using lithium cells?

PerttiK

Enlightened
I've got energizer lithiums on my 3aa minimag, and it hasn't blown up yet.
I believe there's that heat-thingy in that bulb-thingy.

Last edited:

space-time

Newly Enlightened
ebow86 - I've also used the Energizer Lithiums (L91s) in my Mag LED 3-AA for a couple of years now, ever since I bought it. I haven't had any problems, with one exception. I've had mine heat up like that just once with the L91 lithiums. I replaced the batteries and have had no trouble before or since, so I've always assumed it was a battery thing.

Last edited: