ITP A1 small problem

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sure the experts will solve this small problem for me.

When I switch the A1 on, sometimes it jumps mode from low to medium and even sometimes high,I have noticed when I touch the twisty head I can make the light come on so I presume a contact problem,not a major worry to me but would like it working properly like my A3.

thanks in advance.:)

Apollo Cree

Enlightened
BTW, how does the switch function on a twisty like this work?

Are the threads insulated and the head doesn't make contact until you screw it down to a bare metal to metal contact?

rebelbayou

Newly Enlightened
I just started having the same problem with my A1. I also noticed that I have to screw it down pretty hard for it to come on in low mode where as I didn't when it was new. And it's really hard to go from one mode to the next now, without skipping a mode. I don't want to mess with the spring in the end cap, so hopefully someone on here has a solution.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Every flashlight I have that changes modes with a soft press does that so I'd be very interested in a simple cure. I doubt there is one.

Zendude

Enlightened
When turning on the light one handed you tend to pull the head in as you twist. When you let go the spring pushes the head out and breaks contact(due to thread play). You reposition your fingers to finish tightening and you end up going to the next mode.

If this endangers the mission you may want a twisty with tighter tolerances.:p

As far as a cure; I'll bet if you use two hands to turn it on or switch modes it works pretty consistently.

Zendude

Enlightened
I just started having the same problem with my A1. I also noticed that I have to screw it down pretty hard for it to come on in low mode where as I didn't when it was new. And it's really hard to go from one mode to the next now, without skipping a mode. I don't want to mess with the spring in the end cap, so hopefully someone on here has a solution.

Try cleaning the face of the battery tube(the bare metal at the end of the battery tube that makes contact with the circuit board when you tighten the head down).

rebelbayou

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Zendude. Cleaned edge of battery tube where it contacts circuit board and it works a whole lot better now. Still a little stiff but I assume it will get easier with time and maybe a little nyogel.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok taken twisty part of light off,cleaned the inner tube top with a cotton bud and put some lithium grease around the threads,as one poster said using both hands does make the problem tend to go away but not every time but I can see an improvement.

Apollo Cree

Enlightened
BTW, how does the switch function on a twisty like this work?

Are the threads insulated and the head doesn't make contact until you screw it down to a bare metal to metal contact?

OK, I see it now. The head has a circuit board with a conductive metal ring etched on the back side. The edge of the battery tube touches the metal ring when you screw the head down. The front end of the battery tube is bare metal.