Looking for a light

eygen

Newly Enlightened
Oh, yes, I know, another thread like this. But this forum is huge, and I couldn't find a thread like "what to get". I've looked at other threads like this one before, but those people had a way bigger budget.

I'm looking for a flashlight:
-Easy to EDC
-Good brightness/runtime ratio
-Budget is $70, maybe a tiny bit more but not much.

-Common battery type, like AA, AAA, preferred, but others are fine.

I've been looking at Nitecore lights, like the D10 or EX10. Good reviews, they're definitely on my list. I don't know about the big brands like Surefire, so that's why I'm here.

Don't get angry with me if I'm posting in the wrong forum, CPF is big and confusing for someone who doesn't visit often.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

Ajax517

Newly Enlightened
There are many more metrics to answering that question so I'll only give you manufacturers that will fit the bill...
Quark, Fenix, Eagle-Tac, Lumapower, Liteflux.

Surefire is generally out of your budget but would be definitely worth the money. Their selection of pocketable lights is small though.

crizyal

Enlightened
The Nitecore D10 is a proven winner (I personally like the older version that ramps up and down). Jetbeams are also pretty nice.

I would consider looking in the Candle Power Forum Marketplace, and be a little patient. You can get great deals on used lights, lengthening your budget.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
My favorites in the less than $70 range using AA or AAA batteries are #1- LiteFlux LF2XT (AAA), #2- Maratac AAA, #3- Quark MiniAA, #4- Maratac AA. If you want more brightness, and the extra expense of CR123 batteries it would be #1- LiteFlux LF3XT, #2- Quark Mini123. These two are also in your price range.

Good luck in your quest. CPF can be a confusing place.

Geoff

eygen

Newly Enlightened
The Nitecore D10 is a proven winner (I personally like the older version that ramps up and down). Jetbeams are also pretty nice.

I would consider looking in the Candle Power Forum Marketplace, and be a little patient. You can get great deals on used lights, lengthening your budget.

I really like the Jetbeam RRT2. Might as well go and get that one.

I've checked out all Jetbeams, and I liked these:
$110 RRT-2
$84 Jet III-m
$54 Element E3P

RRT-2 doesn't have a pocket clip, but otherwise is sounds great. With any of the CPF discounts and free shipping it's still $95, so I'm mulling it over.

Any other suggestions? Is the Surefire G2 good? It's the only Surefire in my budget :p

Last edited:

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire G2 isn't an aluminum light, it's polymer (AKA plastic). I personally would stick with metal lights though.

Have you checked out the Maglite XL100? 3AAA with motion control switch, $40.

(Click my sig pic for my review. :))

pwatcher

Enlightened
I own quite a few Surefires, and the the G2 is a fine light! The only downside is that if you want to change the incan lamp assembly to a LED module, you'll need to avoid higher power (hotter) ones, because they can't heatsink to nitrolon like they could to aluminum. But there are lower powered, excellent modules that would still work, such as Malkoff M60L or M60LL. And "plastic", or Nitrolon, has some advantages over aluminum too, esp in damp/wet or cold weather conditions! And it won't chip/dent like aluminum can, so for harsh/rough conditions, I wouldn't hesitate with a G2. Of course, an incan light isn't as shock resistant as an LED.

lurcher man

Newly Enlightened
Hi,i know what you mean about the forum.This is my first time on a forum.
I use a FenixTK11R2.Great light,really well built,vey bright & lots of throw if you need it.Does have a very blue light though.I use an 18650 battery & it runs for about 3-4 weeks [using it every day/night] before re charging.Not sure about the cost in dollars.
Hope this helps.

eygen

Newly Enlightened
Okay, thanks. I'm still leaning more towards the RRT-2. Gonna look up some reviews on that.

corvettesR1

Enlightened
The LiteFluxLF3XT has really hit a home run with me.You can get ANY chosen brightness out of it with the ramping feature and it remembers the last setting.Changing brightness is cake and that soft touch,quiet button switch is fantastic.The light has a great low setting thats perfect when getting up at night out of bed. Its just a great light in evey way.:thumbsup:

eygen

Newly Enlightened
The LiteFluxLF3XT has really hit a home run with me.You can get ANY chosen brightness out of it with the ramping feature and it remembers the last setting.Changing brightness is cake and that soft touch,quiet button switch is fantastic.The light has a great low setting thats perfect when getting up at night out of bed. Its just a great light in evey way.:thumbsup:

In my list. Is the max output bright enough for, say, caving?

corvettesR1

Enlightened
I suppose you could but I would probably sellect a multi celled light for that use. The JETBeam III would probably work out great .

jugornot

Newly Enlightened
Dereelight Javelin. Add the extender tube for 3xaa and 1.7 hours at max. Should ring in at less than $70. If it is in stock. Good usable spill, very bringht spot. In the 2xaa very comfortable edc. Add the extender for extra runtime and brightness when caving. For just edc, one of the quark mini's in ti. About $70. AA or cr123 you pick.

eygen

Newly Enlightened
Dereelight Javelin. Add the extender tube for 3xaa and 1.7 hours at max. Should ring in at less than $70. If it is in stock. Good usable spill, very bringht spot. In the 2xaa very comfortable edc. Add the extender for extra runtime and brightness when caving. For just edc, one of the quark mini's in ti. About $70. AA or cr123 you pick.

What's the difference between these two?

Javelin XP-G R5 (OP)------ $62

pixel.gif
Javelin XP-G R5-1S (OP)---$58
pixel.gif

I think this might be a great choice.

bluepilgrim

Enlightened
Caving?

Romisen rc-g2 II (regular or warm white -- both very bright) (AA)
ITP EOS A3 (AAA)
something with a head band

Get at least 3 if you go into a cave (if one shuts down or you drop it). The first 2 are about $40 for both from Shining Beam. I don't use headband lights so I can't tell you about them.

I'm not fond of fiddling with brightness controls, but I do want backup lights with me -- and I'd rather get a few sturdy but inexpensive ones than one fancy for money when I end up not using the fancy stuff anyway. When I fish a light out one of my pockets I know how bright I want it and just grab it from the pocket I want (generally dim on the right, bright on the left).

(Someday maybe I'll be rich and instead of playing golf I can hire a kid as a flashlight caddie, hauling a bag of lights behind me: "What do think, Billy, to light up that bit of path ahead -- the ITP C7 or the Nitecore D10?" "I believe there is some overhangin brush there, Sir -- I'd go with the D10 for it greater side spill. And watch for the water puddle trap next to that rock." :duh2: )

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
(Someday maybe I'll be rich and instead of playing golf I can hire a kid as a flashlight caddie, hauling a bag of lights behind me: "What do think, Billy, to light up that bit of path ahead -- the ITP C7 or the Nitecore D10?" "I believe there is some overhangin brush there, Sir -- I'd go with the D10 for it greater side spill. And watch for the water puddle trap next to that rock." :duh2: )

:crackup: Thanks Pilgrim. Best laugh I've had all week.

Geoff

johnny3073

Newly Enlightened
What's the difference between these two?

Javelin XP-G R5 (OP)------ $62 3 modes - L/M/H

pixel.gif
Javelin XP-G R5-1S (OP)---$58 1 mode - full tilt boogie
pixel.gif

I think this might be a great choice.

I don't own one, but the reviews have been very good.

eygen

Newly Enlightened
I don't own one, but the reviews have been very good.

Has a short runtime (+- an hour on high), not really excited about that.

I just sold an expensive knife. If there aren't any other sub $150 lights you guys would recommend over the Jetbeam RRT-2, I'm getting that.

eygen

Newly Enlightened
I couldn't bring myself to spend that much on a flashlight, so I changed my mind.
I bought the Quark AA^2, I was sold when I looked at Nut's review :p