How do you install a new switch into a Mag?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I want to replace the stock switch with a toggle, how would I keep the batteries from falling out?

Databyter

Enlightened
Well, your in luck. The batteries are too big to fall out the switch hole, especially with a toggle in the way, and I am assuming you will still use the same tail-cap with spring so they won't go out that way either.

To replace the switch you will indeed need to take off the tailcap and let the batteries fall out. Then you can use a very small allen wrench through the mag switch button hole (remove rubber boot). It's as I say a very small allen, not sure the exact size, it fits through the switch and into a small setscrew on the backside of the switch assembly that you loosen to remove the magswitch assembly.

I hope this helps, your questions is worded such that I am not sure what you need to know.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I think this is what your wanting to do https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/225549

Not sure exactly what you mean by keeping the batteries from falling out though :thinking:

That Jusval post is missing all the pix for me tonight. Also, you use a 5/64" allen wrench, not 5/32" like he says.

I think OP is thinking once he removes the entire black MagD switch & bulb holder, puts a toggle/rocker switch inside of it instead of the blue plastic parts, wires it correctly, he won't have the back nut that the allen screw tightens against the back wall to hold it anymore.

As Databyter says, it is not worth expanding on an answer without more details from OP.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
That Jusval post is missing all the pix for me tonight. Also, you use a 5/64" allen wrench, not 5/32" like he says.

I think OP is thinking once he removes the entire black MagD switch & bulb holder, puts a toggle/rocker switch inside of it instead of the blue plastic parts, wires it correctly, he won't have the back nut that the allen screw tightens against the back wall to hold it anymore.

As Databyter says, it is not worth expanding on an answer without more details from OP.

Scroll down and an awesome CPF member (can't remember who) has quoted the whole OP and put the pics back in!

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
That was a decent tutorial. Once I found the pics..

I miss Jusval. He always came with the most interesting ideas ( like the mag hid he made etc) and every thing he built was with hand tools. Most of the time you could tell just from reading the posts that it was time consuming, but because of patience and perseverance, he always came out with clean work.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
That was a decent tutorial. Once I found the pics..

I miss Jusval. He always came with the most interesting ideas ( like the mag hid he made etc) and every thing he built was with hand tools. Most of the time you could tell just from reading the posts that it was time consuming, but because of patience and perseverance, he always came out with clean work.

+1 Agree on missing him.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
DUH, i thought you were supposed to remove the whole tower. If that was the case, I thought I was going to HAVE to use a wired in battery pack
Didn't know you could keep that part