Tutorial: Installing a 15-30A Rocker switch in a Mag D switch housing

jusval

Enlightened
Hello,
I had a couple people ask "Exactly how do I use a Rocker switch in a Mag "D" switch body?". So I thought it would be nice to show everyone how I do it, with details and photos.

The idea is to use an economical and readily available switch (15A-30A) to replace the Stock Mag switch. Something easy, that only takes a few simple hand tools and not a lot of electronics (for dummies like me). Also to use a switch that still maintained the stock placement and stock rubber cover.

Well, I found that rocker switches from Radio Shack, or the local Auto Parts Store, would work for this purpose. The one I am using is a 16A 125V switch from radio shack. I have seen 20A and 30A in Auto parts stores.

I will go thru the whole replacement, step by step. I know some of this may be redundant.

First I am using an old cut off "D" body, that's all I had lying around.

Here's the switch
01.jpg

02.jpg

I just use two fingers and pinch the rubber cover, to take it out.
03.jpg

The exposed switch.
04.jpg

5/32" Allen wrench inside the switch, I loosen the set screw it about 6 turns.
05.jpg

Pushing out the switch. It should slide out easy after you push it out a little ways.
06.jpg

This is an old switch that I cut the bulb tower off of. If you need to cut the tower off, just use a hacksaw.
07.jpg

I use the same allen wrench to push out the set screw and the negative terminal.
08.jpg

Push out the switch, from the bottom side of the housing.
09.jpg

The four flat areas that need to be removed, inside the housing.
10.jpg

The reason wht they need to be removed. The new switch won't clear.
11.jpg

I dabbed white out on the areas to be removed.
12.jpg

My fancy tools. 3 round files.
13.jpg

I start with the larger coarse file. An even larger one would work well. I just want to make the housing completely round.
14.jpg

Pretty much done roughing it out. The metal contact plate does not come out, just the plastic surrounding. The rocker switch has 2 flat spots on it and they slide over the metal plate.
16.jpg

Now I modify the rocker switch. I need to remove the square edges and get it round. I use a pair of cutters at first, but I just cut a little at a time, or the plastic splits instead of cutting.
17.jpg

After using the cutters. I get fairly close that way.
18.jpg

More special tools, a couple flat files.
19.jpg

I finish removing the material and round it off using the files like this. Not much pressure on the vise or you break the switch.
20.jpg

Final touch is with a sanding block.
21.jpg

That's about finished. I just need to clean off the burrs.
22.jpg

Now the rocker fits in the housing fairly well. It's still just a bit too tight.
23.jpg

I can use sandpaper to take a little more out of the housing, just a fine adjustment or two.
24.jpg

I don't want that little raised red light, so I file it off flush.
25.jpg

Now I am seeing how it goes into the body and I will need to do some angle trimming here.
26.jpg

Making sure the rocker is down flush with the housing edge.
27.jpg

Now I use my small flat file to take off the edges and conform to the housing angle.
28.jpg

Just a shot of the underside. I can just drill a hole in the ends of the housing for wires to go thru and solder them on.
29.jpg

Nice fit! Slides right in. Put the toggle in the "on" position, so it slides in and if you take it out, put it in the "off" position to slide it back out.
30.jpg

The housing is in place. Now I usually hold it in place by putting a little JB Weld on the top of the housing, where it touches the "C" ring inside the body. That will be enough to hold it, when it sets up.
31.jpg

Rubber cover is back in place and it looks stock once again.
32.jpg

EDIT: Use a bit of 5 minute 2 part epoxy in a couple of spots on the underside, just to keep the switch from moving around. You can break free "just a dab" if need be, to remove the switch again. Also do the same thing with the whole housing, to the "C" ring, with just a couple dabs of epoxy.

I hope this helps someone out in their search for mods.

Last edited:

griff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great job!!
Giving the "newcomer" a easy project to do with basic tools is the best way to get more people interested in this hobby! Pulling the curtain back showing something that would seem complicated , is not with step by step instructions!!

" Thirdshift" RIP .... is smiling right now
Please keep the STEP by STEP's coming!!!

Vote with a "+1" if you want to see more of these

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1

I have a question ....

How do you remove the switch if for example it breaks and needs replacing
Wouldnt using 2 part epoxy make it very difficult ?

jusval

Enlightened
+1

I have a question ....

How do you remove the switch if for example it breaks and needs replacing
Wouldnt using 2 part epoxy make it very difficult ?

As far as the rocker switch goes, just a couple little dabs of epoxy are needed here;
33.jpg

Just a little bit. If there's only a little, you can knock the switch out with a small socket & hammer. Epoxy cracks and breaks easily when hit sharply/quickly with something.

For the whole housing, when I epoxy it to the "C" ring, again, I use just a little bit in 2-3 spots, just so the whole thing stays in. You can use a 3/4" or 1" socket with extension to knock it out in the same manner, with a sharp rap from a hammer.

I will edit the first post, to recommend 5 minute epoxy.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as the rocker switch goes, just a couple little dabs of epoxy are needed here;

Just a little bit. If there's only a little, you can knock the switch out with a small socket & hammer. Epoxy cracks and breaks easily when hit sharply/quickly with something.

For the whole housing, when I epoxy it to the "C" ring, again, I use just a little bit in 2-3 spots, just so the whole thing stays in. You can use a 3/4" or 1" socket with extension to knock it out in the same manner, with a sharp rap from a hammer.

I will edit the first post, to recommend 5 minute epoxy.

Cool ........ :cool:

Gives me the idea of using a momentary rocker switch with a D2Flex or Maxflex board

jusval

Enlightened
There's Lots of Momentary pushbutton switches out there. Many more than rockers. I am still looking for an "economical" pushbutton switch in 20-30A, but I have not found one. Lots of 5A ones and a few very expensive 20A ones, but none that would work flush, like the rocker did.

Of course, there's always one of the big switches, for nitrous, with the big red cover over it that you have to flip up. Sorry, that's cool......... Used to race and always thought those switches were great!:crackup:

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mods: Is it possible to ad this to the first post? It seems the OP has left the building. Thanks cnjl3 for the help reviving this thread!

Hello,
I had a couple people ask "Exactly how do I use a Rocker switch in a Mag "D" switch body?". So I thought it would be nice to show everyone how I do it, with details and photos.

The idea is to use an economical and readily available switch (15A-30A) to replace the Stock Mag switch. Something easy, that only takes a few simple hand tools and not a lot of electronics (for dummies like me). Also to use a switch that still maintained the stock placement and stock rubber cover.

Well, I found that rocker switches from Radio Shack, or the local Auto Parts Store, would work for this purpose. The one I am using is a 16A 125V switch from radio shack. I have seen 20A and 30A in Auto parts stores.

I will go thru the whole replacement, step by step. I know some of this may be redundant.

First I am using an old cut off "D" body, that's all I had lying around.

Here's the switch
1.jpg

2.jpg

I just use two fingers and pinch the rubber cover, to take it out.
3.jpg

The exposed switch.
4.jpg

5/32" Allen wrench inside the switch, I loosen the set screw it about 6 turns.
5.jpg

Pushing out the switch. It should slide out easy after you push it out a little ways.
6.jpg

This is an old switch that I cut the bulb tower off of. If you need to cut the tower off, just use a hacksaw.
7.jpg

I use the same allen wrench to push out the set screw and the negative terminal.
8.jpg

Push out the switch, from the bottom side of the housing.
9.jpg

The four flat areas that need to be removed, inside the housing.
10.jpg

The reason why they need to be removed. The new switch won't clear.
11.jpg

I dabbed white out on the areas to be removed.
12.jpg

My fancy tools. 3 round files.
13.jpg

I start with the larger coarse file. An even larger one would work well. I just want to make the housing completely round.
14.jpg

Pretty much done roughing it out. The metal contact plate does not come out, just the plastic surrounding. The rocker switch has 2 flat spots on it and they slide over the metal plate.
15.jpg

Now I modify the rocker switch. I need to remove the square edges and get it round. I use a pair of cutters at first, but I just cut a little at a time, or the plastic splits instead of cutting.
16.jpg

After using the cutters. I get fairly close that way.
17.jpg

More special tools, a couple flat files.
18.jpg

I finish removing the material and round it off using the files like this. Not much pressure on the vise or you break the switch.
19.jpg

Final touch is with a sanding block.
20.jpg

That's about finished. I just need to clean off the burrs.
21.jpg

Now the rocker fits in the housing fairly well. It's still just a bit too tight.
22.jpg

I can use sandpaper to take a little more out of the housing, just a fine adjustment or two.
23.jpg

I don't want that little raised red light, so I file it off flush.
24.jpg

Now I am seeing how it goes into the body and I will need to do some angle trimming here.
25.jpg

Making sure the rocker is down flush with the housing edge.
26.jpg

Now I use my small flat file to take off the edges and conform to the housing angle.
27.jpg

Just a shot of the underside. I can just drill a hole in the ends of the housing for wires to go thru and solder them on.
28.jpg

Nice fit! Slides right in. Put the toggle in the "on" position, so it slides in and if you take it out, put it in the "off" position to slide it back out.
29.jpg

The housing is in place. Now I usually hold it in place by putting a little JB Weld on the top of the housing, where it touches the "C" ring inside the body. That will be enough to hold it, when it sets up.
30.jpg

Rubber cover is back in place and it looks stock once again.
31.jpg

EDIT: Use a bit of 5 minute 2 part epoxy in a couple of spots on the underside, just to keep the switch from moving around. You can break free "just a dab" if need be, to remove the switch again. Also do the same thing with the whole housing, to the "C" ring, with just a couple dabs of epoxy.

I hope this helps someone out in their search for mods.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hooray, It LIVES! *insert Frankenstein smiley*

I love this thread. I think I'm going to see make a el cheapo sleeper 623 4c with this. Maybe the switch will be to big. I'm just glad this is back though. I must use it before I forget.