looking for a pocket torch

joee

Newly Enlightened
Hello I'm looking forsome recomendations for a small torch.I have a few nitecore's at the moment a EZ123 and D10.the EZ123 has a natural tint which I really like and has a decent throw but the way you turn it on/off not so much its just too stiff to get from low to high.The D10 I really like just wish it was a bit brighter and had better throw.
can you recomend any small torch's

Burgess

Flashaholic
Go with a TWO-cell model, and enjoy the added benefits.

I second the 4Sevens Quark recommendation.

:twothumbs

Oh, and Welcome to CandlePowerForums !

:welcome:
_

Chauncey Gardner

Enlightened
I know 14500's in my NDI turn it from "Hey, nice bright light" into "What kind of light is that" type responseworthy. The difference still surprises me.

A Dmini VX Ultra looks like a pocket full of wow (throw/size) from comparison charts if the li-ion trick does not do it for you.

HarveyRich

Enlightened
+1 on 14500 in the D10. Also, the EZ 123 requires about a 3/4 turn to go from low to high, while the EZ Cr2 requires only a 1/2 turn. The latter light is also really small and fits in the pants pocket perfectly. I also have the Quark MiNi 123 and the MiNi AA. Both are excellent lights. I prefer the MiNi AA because it also can be used with a 14500 battery, which makes it much brighter than with a NiMH AA, and it is the first AA which is thin enough for me to easily ride in my pants pocket--much smaller than the D10. At any rate they're all fine lights. If I now had to push for only one, I'd go with the MiNi AA because of it's versatility and brightness. I much prefer the twisty motion and three levels of light to the EZ series with a linear twist motion and only two levels.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I had a Nitecore D10, got sick of the ramping. Now my little backup torch is a Quark 123 Tactical R2. Quite throwy and quite bright and maybe a tad smaller than the D10.

I did have to modify the Quark by putting a D10 clip onto the tailcap though. Now it's perfect and I can also use it with the free prism and headband kit that it came with which makes it pretty useful for when I need two hands to do something.

joee

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the welcome.I want to stick with 1 cell as 2 cell lights are a bit big .I had a quick look a the quarks but they seem very similar to the nitecore's I have now.
I was thinking of getting a itp A1 they have the most lumens for a single cell I have seen.are they any good.
I tried a 14500 cell in the D10 but it got quite hot and I read your not supposed to use them as they can blow the torch??

cistallus

Enlightened
The ITP A1 EOS is roughly equivalent to the Quark Mini 123 except the latter's XP-G is brighter, esp. on 16340 - becomes a "wall of light". Similarly for ITP A2 EOS and Quark Mini AA. For something even smaller, the ITP A3 EOS Upgrade Edition runs on AAA or 10440 (this one has no Quark equivalent).

These lights work fine on lithium-ion cells like 14500 or 16340 or 10440, they will handle the voltage, the problem is that they are so small that they simply can't dissipate the heat if run on high for more than a short while. So as long as you just use short bursts on high (less than a half minute or minute), or heat sink them somehow, all is fine.

Another nice small light (AAA/10440) would be the LiteFlux LF2XT (clicky) or LF2X (twisty - older model, look in marketplace), they have an amazing feature set.

Since your first post mentioned throw, you might look at the small throwers such as the Lumapower D-Mini (several models) or JetBeam RRT-0 or Jet-II Pro IBS.