Youtube vid of 'Homemade' 500 LED spotlight, check this out

Status
Not open for further replies.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkkU0UO3sek&feature=related

O My God where do I buy one its like super bright and super big it must be brighter than my friends 2 cell mag.

In this day and age flashlights are getting smaller and brighter, size aint everything and to boot neither is bightness check out the super cool blue beam.

This guy would kick himself if he found out about this forum after building that behemoth, he could have made it with 50 P7's in something that big, then it would be amazing, dunno about the lead acid battery but then again he would have learnt about Li-ion.

Juggernaut

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is real old news, the guy did find the site eventually, and after he found out about modern emitters, he was never heard from again:(, probably kicking himself like you said, though it's still a cool light:D, nice switch assembly on the back, it's still got, what? 250 lumens……:whistle:

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
This is real old news, the guy did find the site eventually, and after he found out about modern emitters, he was never heard from again:(, probably kicking himself like you said, though it's still a cool light:D, nice switch assembly on the back, it's still got, what? 250 lumens……:whistle:

And that could be achieved by a single R2 LED...

vudoo

Enlightened
C'mon guys, the guy may not know about the latest LED's but you have to admit that the thing looks very well built and designed.

Imagine what he could do if he knew about the SST-50/90's?

McAllan

Enlightened
Before we laugh too much of him I'd like to say a few things too.

I'm in no way affiliated to him. It's not me, my friend, family or similar.

But from what I see I must agree it look quite well made and with great knowledge. One thing I'd done differently was to protect the LEDs better.

As for output we can do a bit of math. Since we don't know what LEDs he's using and at what current we make an estimate instead. The Fenix E01 delivers ~10 lumen with a single 5mm LED. So not to overrate it we calculate 5 lumen pr. LED. That is in total 500*5 = 2500 lumen! :thumbsup:
Yes it's a shower head but none the less still very impressive.

As for cooling 5 mm LEDs do not require cooling under most circumstances. Yes 500 close to each other does concentrate some heat. But please remember the surface of which the heat can dissipate is quite large. If designed correctly the resistors on the back which are there for smoothing reasons since no two LEDs are alike don't need to dissipate much heat. Then a suitable switchmode supply to drive the whole deal and to keep power waste and power requirements down.

Changing to another battery technology should be no big deal if you build it yourself. He probably just used a lead acid since it is very cheap, readily available (chargers too!) and very safe.

DM51

Flashaholic
As Hrvoje has pointed out, there is already a thread about this light and its maker here.

As the comments about the skill and workmanship of the maker were a lot more polite in that thread than they have been in this one, I'll close this one and we'll continue there.

Status
Not open for further replies.