Surefire T1A modified with beamshots

Phredd

Enlightened
I originally put this in with my cheers to DeFABRICATA, who swapped out the LED for with the high CRI LED, but it's probably more appropriate to put the beamshots here.

I took some photos so you can see how much nicer it is with the warm LED. I adjusted the photos so that they all have the same color temperature and tint. They were shot at high ISO by accident, but I kept the conditions the same for all photos. I suggest only comparing them relative to each other, rather than to anything else.

Original, unmodified Surefire T1A

Original LED, lens coated with yellow glass paint

Modified with High CRI LED

Now that I have a Titan with the warm LED, I may unload my other Titan. I'm very happy with Tim's work and I'm very glad I did it, but for my other lights, like my new Mini CR2, I may just use the glass paint. In case you want to try it yourself, I used Pebeo yellow #14 mixed with a lot of Pebeo lightening.

Phredd

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
I have also one that he did the same, and I agree it it s a HUGE improvement on stock. BTW, your pic #1 isn't working for me - I can only see #2 and #3.

Phredd

Enlightened
I have also one that he did the same, and I agree it it s a HUGE improvement on stock. BTW, your pic #1 isn't working for me - I can only see #2 and #3.

I just replaced the first photo. It's quite a difference from the original to the CRI.

joshth09

Newly Enlightened
great mod! man...i do hate the blues. i would never buy the damn thing for that reason. now id consider it if i had that mod!

Bierkameel

Newly Enlightened
Nice, I wanted to buy the T1A and read about the angry blue.
With the mod it's a great light.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
In case you want to try it yourself, I used Pebeo yellow #14 mixed with a lot of Pebeo lightening.

Phredd, I ordered the yellow glass paint and I want to follow your suggestions and paint the lens of my T1A. :cool:

Can you please clarify what you mean by 'a lot of lightening'. Thanks :)

Phredd

Enlightened
Phredd, I ordered the yellow glass paint and I want to follow your suggestions and paint the lens of my T1A. :cool:

Can you please clarify what you mean by 'a lot of lightening'. Thanks :)

Along with the bottle of Pebeo yellow, get a bottle of Pebeo lightening. It's clear, but the same consistency as the color paint. Mix it with the yellow to get a lighter shade. I bought a small glass plate to experiment with the different shades before I put it on my light.

Phredd

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Along with the bottle of Pebeo yellow, get a bottle of Pebeo lightening. It's clear, but the same consistency as the color paint. Mix it with the yellow to get a lighter shade. I bought a small glass plate to experiment with the different shades before I put it on my light.

Phredd

Will do, thanks. :thumbsup:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The result of the first trial is rather good, the tint improved and the paint also acts as a very light diffuser so that the hotspot is less defined. I will probably try out some variations just for the sake of experimenting. :cool:

Thanks Phredd for the excellent suggestion. :twothumbs

Phredd

Enlightened
The result of the first trial is rather good, the tint improved and the paint also acts as a very light diffuser so that the hotspot is less defined. I will probably try out some variations just for the sake of experimenting. :cool:

Thanks Phredd for the excellent suggestion. :twothumbs

You're very welcome. I'm glad it worked out for you.