Question about older model Surefire L1

Squidboy

Newly Enlightened
I have a rarely used Surefire L1, the one with the tiros optics at the front that gives the square beam profile. Think I've even got the box for it.

Fairly sure its this one http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_l1gen2.htm

What I was wondering is what upgrade options are there for the head, or does the flashlight have more value as is and I sell it and buy something else?

Thanks

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a rarely used Surefire L1, the one with the tiros optics at the front that gives the square beam profile. Think I've even got the box for it.

Fairly sure its this one http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_l1gen2.htm

What I was wondering is what upgrade options are there for the head, or does the flashlight have more value as is and I sell it and buy something else?

Thanks

There's no commercial off-the-shelf upgrade that I'm aware of, other than selling it an buying a new light. ;)

You could send to one of the modders, like Scott a/k/a Milky or Milkyspit, for almost any degree of mod you desire. I have one of the L1 lights that he modded a few years ago with an upgraded LED and a reflector and it is still a totally fabulous light. With the improvements in LEDs since then, I'm sure he could do something astounding now. But, you'll have to send it in to him.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
There have been a number of generations of SF L1, five in total I believe. Does yours have the short body / short clip like in that review, or is it more like the slightly longer one I have photographed in my L1 thread here (the higher of the two L1's pictured)? (I think that they both have the same exact lens & square beam profile, just slightly different body shapes.) From what I've read, the body pictured in the link you provided is slightly more desirable than the longer body - longer clip version that I have pictured in my thread.

From what I understand (including conversations with CPF's #1 L1 upgrader, 'Milky'), that aspheric lens cannot be readily adapted to newer LED's, so the best upgrade (IMO) would be to have him mod the head (newer emitter, driver, reflector, etc). A bit spendy but well-worth it IMO - that's what I'm going to do with that NIP L1 that I have. BTW, in my thread I cited, I have links for two particular SF L1 mods that have been done by 'Milky' - both very very nice.

Otherwise, I guess I might recommend selling it - the L1's seem to have a 'floor' value of ~$80 due to that excellent two-level tailcap, and I think that the oldest bodies may have slightly more value than that when in good condition (i.e. desirable modding hosts).

Hope this helps,
K

Edit: LOL, looks like JN beat me to it. :wave:

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
I concur with the previous posters; the only "upgrade" would be to replace the stock LED. It's a *really*easy mod to do, once you get the head open, that is... :crazy:

I recently modded an L1 that I got from PK a few years back. It has a 20mm reflector and a P4. No other fancy-shmanxy stuff added or deleted. I considered leaving the stock optic in place (it does work), but decided that I wanted the light to have a broader beam; thus, the reflector.

Use the instructions in this thread to mod your light.