Fenix LD20 Q5 problems with Lithiums

Ritch

Enlightened
Hi,

my Fenix LD20 Q5 is running faultlessly with Alkalines. With Energizer Lithiums levels 1 and 2 are as bright es level 3. Only turbo mode runs as it should. After cycling through all levels for some times, levels 1 and 2 are a little bit dimmer than level 3. What could be the reason? :thinking:

Thanks
Richard

kicken_bright

Newly Enlightened
This is a very common/normal thing with fenix circuits. The circuits are only rated for a maximum of 3 volts. the lithium primaries are both 1.7 volts so of them equals 3.4 volts. As the batteries loose a little juice, they should drop under 3 volts and work fine:twothumbs

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find that this happens with new batteries. Usually running the light on Turbo for the first 10 or so minutes drops the voltage enough to create different outputs on low, med. and high. Not the most practical solution, I know, but it works.

McAllan

Enlightened
Not to mention NiMH is cheaper in the long run.

Even with a cheap charger you have saved money on only very few recharges (please ask us about the intended one as there's both dirt and cinnamon amongst the cheap ones).

If you want the best you get some eneloops and a C9000 charger (Maha or ELV - actually the ELV is a rebranded Maha) or even better one of the Charge Managers from Conrad (they're a bit noisy as they contain a fan though but technically very close to the best you can get).

Or if you just want something decent the easy way you look for a bundle of a GP charger and some ReCyKo's. Go for a charger equal to or faster than 4-5 hours but no faster than about an hour for optimal battery life. A little extra on the charger can be a benefit in the long run. The bundle I have in mind is the ReCyKo Fast Charger (scroll about halfway down to see image of it). The GP/ReCyKo bundle should be available in many local stores around Europe - at least here in DK.

ledo2502

Newly Enlightened
I also have that problem. I've bought a Fenix LD20 R4 a week ago, and today as i insertet new batteries, i couldn't get to the lowest two modes. First i was shocked, so i tried different things. Eventually i manually discharged the batteries a little bit and then it worked, just as you said. But now i'm worrying, wether it does damage to the flashlight. It is also i bit annoying, as new batteries always have to get discharged a bit.
Is there any official reply from Fenix?

Best regards, ledo2502

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to mention NiMH is cheaper in the long run.

Even with a cheap charger you have saved money on only very few recharges (please ask us about the intended one as there's both dirt and cinnamon amongst the cheap ones).

If you want the best you get some eneloops and a C9000 charger (Maha or ELV - actually the ELV is a rebranded Maha) or even better one of the Charge Managers from Conrad (they're a bit noisy as they contain a fan though but technically very close to the best you can get).

Or if you just want something decent the easy way you look for a bundle of a GP charger and some ReCyKo's. Go for a charger equal to or faster than 4-5 hours but no faster than about an hour for optimal battery life. A little extra on the charger can be a benefit in the long run. The bundle I have in mind is the ReCyKo Fast Charger (scroll about halfway down to see image of it). The GP/ReCyKo bundle should be available in many local stores around Europe - at least here in DK.

Is that Conrad as in the German electronic company if so they have a UK division as well.To UK peeps they are like the old Tandy but 100 times better,I used them a lot when I lived in Berlin.

McAllan

Enlightened
Is that Conrad as in the German electronic company if so they have a UK division as well.To UK peeps they are like the old Tandy but 100 times better,I used them a lot when I lived in Berlin.

Yes it's the German electronics store Conrad. They have a German website ending .de and an international ending .com.
From the international you're guided to the one appropriate for year country.

Have ordered a lot of stuff from there over the years.

Scout.308

Newly Enlightened
Re: Fenix LD20 Q5 problems with Lithiums (add Ni-Zn!)

First Post- newbie alert :caution:

I'm curious about this also. Can anyone out there address this question?

In the meantime, I sent an email to Fenix today asking their policy on the use of Ni-Zn rechargeables in the LD20. Will post reply when received.

Scout, out.

batmanacw

Enlightened
Re: Fenix LD20 Q5 problems with Lithiums (add Ni-Zn!)

The response above about the lithiums being higher voltage is absolutely correct. It does not hurt the light at all. I decided to just run eneloops in the Fenix lights. I also switched to Quark regular AA for my travel light since I can keep lithiums in it and not worry about loosing run time due to over driving the lower modes.