NDI gets hot?

pm91

Newly Enlightened
I have a Nitecore Defender Infinity R2 version and I noticed that it seems to get pretty hot and I was wondering if that was typical? I know it's not the same thing, but I have a SF C2 with an M61 and it doesn't get this hot at all.
I'm just looking to confirm that an NDI R2 does get pretty hot.

Thanks,
p

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you had two hot potatoes, and you wrapped one in a single sheet of aluminum foil, and the other you wrapped in 20 sheets of aluminum foil, which one would feel hotter in your hand? The NDI can get hot because it has much less material to absorb the heat. The C2 with M61 can probably get just as hot if you leave it on long enough.

C4ReeN

Newly Enlightened
I have couples of AA flashlight.
and in my experience,
Nitecore product (D10 and NDI (Limited Edition silver)) is always hotter in high output then the other brand like fenix (LD10), itp (C7, A2, SA1) or Quark AA.

I'm not sure about the result of flashlight getting too hot, but i've heard (somewhere in this forum said) if the flashlight getting hot, means the heat from the led is not trap inside the Led.
and it is a good news since it's keep the die of the led cool and preserve the live of the led.

so i think if it is not too hot, there is no problem with it (as long as you can handle the flashlight with your bare hand).

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
How long does it take to get hot? I've had an NDI Q5 for a couple years and never noticed any heat, but then I don't run it on high that long...

Chauncey Gardner

Enlightened
I have a NDI Silver also (Q5) and it does indeed get very warm on 14500's when run on high for extended periods, but it also puts out a lot more light than a Fenix L2D. They are well designed lights and heat more evenly than most also. On Eneloops or alkalines it barely gets warm on high.

Make sure you are holding it around the heat sinking area & you hand will aid greatly in cooling the light.

Wades point on mass is part of that heat sink (as is your hand when cooling the light) & why the NDI heats up quicker.

Last edited:

Robert Davies

Newly Enlightened
I use my NDI R2 as an EDC - It gets hot but not dangerously or injuriously so :crackup:

So yup! Hot is normal in my experience.

-Rob

gmf2010

Newly Enlightened
Yep, you're safe. My NDI get's quite hot after running in turbo for several minutes (AW 14500). It's not hot enough to burn your hand, though I wouldn't recommend touching the lens, as I'm sure it's on fire.