Battery for wife's Solarforce L2

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mainly use my Solarforce L2P and Surefire G2 P60 hosts, so the regular Solarforce L2 lights I have sit unused.

My wife really likes the Gunmetal Solarforce L2 and basically wants that light (guess I can't complain that she doesn't share my interests :whistle:)

The Gunmetal L2 currently has an 18650 cell in it.
The drop-in has a 3-mode driver (same as in the MG L-Mini II) which has low voltage protection, so it drops to low when the battery voltage gets to a certain level.

I think keeping an 18650 or 17670 cell in the light is safer than a pair of CR123A cells.

Sound reasonable?

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I mainly use my Solarforce L2P and Surefire G2 P60 hosts, so the regular Solarforce L2 lights I have sit unused.

My wife really likes the Gunmetal Solarforce L2 and basically wants that light (guess I can't complain that she doesn't share my interests :whistle:)

The Gunmetal L2 currently has an 18650 cell in it.
The drop-in has a 3-mode driver (same as in the MG L-Mini II) which has low voltage protection, so it drops to low when the battery voltage gets to a certain level.

I think keeping an 18650 or 17670 cell in the light is safer than a pair of CR123A cells.

Sound reasonable?

I have 3 Solarforces ... 2 L2s with 18650s and a L2i modified to take a 18650 ... If your Wife is interested in your L2 , you are very lucky ... My Wife has an unknown make , bright alloy , 3AAA multi-LED torch and apparently that is good enough ... It is small enough to go in her handbag (when needed) but she more often than not leaves it at home ... The L2 is a bit big to go in a little handbag , why not get your Wife a little iTP A3 instead (or as well) , in a pretty colour ? ... Lovely little torch.

I think the 18650 is perfect for the L2 ... Just check it a couple of times a year and top-up the cell if needed.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sound reasonable?
I think this post by mdocod sums up the answer quite nicely.

If your Wife is interested in your L2 , you are very lucky ...
Except she now has one of my regularly used 18650 cells in "her" light.
Guess I'll have to buy some more :whistle: :D

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this post by mdocod sums up the answer quite nicely.

Except she now has one of my regularly used 18650 cells in "her" light.
Guess I'll have to buy some more :whistle: :D

Don't buy too many ... I have four torches that use 18650s and I have four spare cells ... If I had known at the time , I would only have bought two spares ... I gave away a 18650 torch that also used three AAA cells ... So prior to that I had five 18650 torches and only three spare cells.

Unfortunately these cells will gradually lose capacity whether or not they are used , so ideally a couple of spares is all that was needed.

We all make mistakes , I guess.