Driver Recommendation : 2D cells for an XP-G

brickbat

Enlightened
The title pretty much sums it up. I'm putting an XP-G into a military MX-991, (like in another thread here) and am looking to tap into the groups expertise on drivers. There's quite a bit of space in the head of this flashlight, and I'm not doing a 'drop-in' mod. So, the smallest size is not a concern. I would like something that can drive around 0.8A or so, with the batteries down to 2.0V or so. Being able to adjust the current would be nice, as would a gradual drop in output current as the battery voltage drops below 2V.

Mode switching would also be nice, but lo med, hi only. No SOS or strobe!

This is my first mod of this type, but I'm pretty experienced w/ electronics and machining...

Thanks!

Last edited:

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
well the real choices are either 3x Micropucks = 3x350mA

or a sandwichshoppe driver (madmax, badboy, badboy next gen)...\i have started a thread at the andwichshoppe space here in cpf on selecting the proper driver for this application which I am gonna bump one of these days....

ti-force

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shiningbeam Driver

EDIT*: Disregard that link; I just noticed that you want to power this light with 2 D cell Alkalines. This driver won't work because the voltage will be too low.*EDIT

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
The title pretty much sums it up. I'm putting an XP-G into a military MX-991, (like in another thread here) and am looking to tap into the groups expertise on drivers. There's quite a bit of space in the head of this flashlight, and I'm not doing a 'drop-in' mod. So, the smallest size is not a concern. I would like something that can drive around 0.8A or so, with the batteries down to 2.0V or so. Being able to adjust the current would be nice, as would a gradual drop in output current as the battery voltage drops below 2V.

Mode switching would also be nice, but lo med, hi only. No SOS or strobe!

This is my first mod of this type, but I'm pretty experienced w/ electronics and machining...

Thanks!

A GDuP from the Sandwich Shoppe should meet all of your requirements (other than "being able to adjust the current", which I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that -- are you talking about an external trimpot?). If single mode is ok, then a GD750 is also a good choice. A Badboy Nexgen 750 is a great boost driver, but it's not clear to me if it will give you a gradual output drop below 2V in. I suspect that with 2xD alkalines, the BBNG 750 will drain the cells dry while staying in regulation up until the end.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used a MicroPuck #2009A-SHO, 500mA. With the newer LEDs you will get a great deal of light and 2D batteries will run forever.

Here is my mod.
Parts Used
1 MicroPuck #2009A-SHO, 500mA
Heat sink from DX mag reflector
U2SVOH Seoul
37mm x 26mm cutdown Aurora reflector

Now if I could just find a 43mm lens I would be set. Time for some pictures.

Perfect focus.
fulton008mediumvz8.jpg

Reflector and HS epoxied together.
fulton010mediumde1.jpg

Micropuck tucked into the heat sink.
fulton011mediumtv1.jpg

Assembled
fulton019mediumha8.jpg

Beam profile shots ISO400 1/160th
fulton021mediumtf7.jpg

ISO400 1/15
fulton022mediumdg3.jpg

ISO400 1/13
fulton023mediumjb2.jpg

The tint is beautiful and I would say that it is somewhere close to 100 lumens out the front. The Anglehead is an excellent light to own once modded.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that's almost the most expensive boost driver in the list, and for his first mod! How about a bit of experimentation first?

You have your recommendations and I made mine. The GDuP suggestion certainly fits the OPs stated needs. I didn't see price as a selection criterion in the OP's list of requirements. My additional single mode suggestions, which you conveniently omit, are also significantly less expensive than the GDuP. I have zero experience with the cheap Chinese boost drivers, except for one. And when I tested it, I was not impressed with its efficiency or stability. Thus, I'm not going to recommend cheap Chinese drivers for which I have no hands-on experience, or which I do know are weak performers.

Maybe you like to buy cheap, unproven Chinese drivers (which in my observations on CPF typically don't match up with the stated sales specs), wait 2-4 weeks for delivery, try out the driver, find out it sucks, try another driver, wait 2-4 weeks for delivery, etc etc. My time is valuable and I like to get things right the first time. So precisely because this is a first mod, I recommended only solid, proven, efficient, constant current drivers with solid customer service.

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Makes sense to me. :thumbsup:

I've been using my BBNG1000 w/ 2x 'C' cells for a year now - rock solid stability for all that time, flawless function. Also very efficient. Why on earth would I want to use a cheap driver in a good light? :ironic:

Kubbu

Newly Enlightened
I think there was somebody who uses also an Cree XP-G but without any driver. He connected it direktly with the two 1,5 volt Batteries.
Is this also possible? Would the LED flash?

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
This is the one to get. 1A boost driver with mode memory. Connect the first star clockwise on the battery side to the ground ring to make it 2-mode High/Medium only. 2.75V alarm mode (meant to protect 3.6v cells) might kick in with only two 1.5v cells until cell voltage under load sags below that level (2*1.2v cells should be no problem though). Best part is it's only $5.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
"THE real choices". Huh. :p Some more choices. Just filter to suit (eg, for desired modes).

well having tried all the DX/KD drivers(see below).....if you excluded them from the list only tye micropuck and the SS ones are left....

This is the one to get. 1A boost driver with mode memory. Connect the first star clockwise on the battery side to the ground ring to make it 2-mode High/Medium only. 2.75V alarm mode (meant to protect 3.6v cells) might kick in with only two 1.5v cells until cell voltage under load sags below that level (2*1.2v cells should be no problem though). Best part is it's only $5.

i have one of....and it does not work with 2xAlkaline cells....you get a low voltage indication ONLY.....others had the same problem.....

the only applicable drivers were the early DX15880 ones...they had real 100mA output with 2xAA....I have 2 module smade and guard them like diamonds....since then i have purchased the same driver 4-5 times from both vendors and each time output was lower and lower....even down to 400mA!

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Notroz....not all your pics are showing....

and guys you might want to see possible answers to a similar thread here

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like a problem with imageshack. The photos are still on the server but don't show up. Maybe they will come back...dunno?:shrug:

brickbat

Enlightened
Wow. Thanks for the responses. Here's my summary:

kaidomain 1000mA - no good for me. shuts off below 2.75V

Micropuck SHO - I really like the size of this, but it only delivers about 300 mA at 2.5V - no good for me, but I'm keeping it in mind for the next project.

BB NG750 - seems to be a startup issue with low Vin? Also, no specs on it.

BB 750 - We have a winner!!!

GD750 - no better than the BB750 for my application, and costs more

GDuP - Hmm. 3 drive levels is nice, but $48??? not for me.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. Thanks for the responses. Here's my summary:

kaidomain 1000mA - no good for me. shuts off below 2.75V

Micropuck SHO - I really like the size of this, but it only delivers about 300 mA at 2.5V - no good for me, but I'm keeping it in mind for the next project.

BB NG750 - seems to be a startup issue with low Vin? Also, no specs on it.

BB 750 - We have a winner!!!

GD750 - no better than the BB750 for my application, and costs more

GDuP - Hmm. 3 drive levels is nice, but $48??? not for me.

There should be no startup problems with a BBNG750. The writeup on the Shoppe's site refers to a BBNG1000 and is also probably dated. IIRC, it was addressing the case of driving fairly old, high Vf LEDs. To do that requires too much input current. With a low Vf XP-G driven at 750mA, you will be well within the BBNG's capabilities. What specs do you need? There is info on the driver on the Shoppe's site here. You can read all about the boost IC that the BBNG uses here.

My GD1000 runs down to 1.6V when driving a low Vf LED. It runs in regulation down to about 2.2V-2.3V. Below that, it gives gracefully declining output. I use it for its flexibility in being able to run with 2xNiMH, 3xNiMH, and 1xLi-ion.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
You (and Justin) are hardly in the situation of doing a first mod, you expert modder, you. :rolleyes: :thumbsup:
Dude, what's your problem?

I make no bones about the fact that this subforum isn't my primary field. I do read CPF a lot and have noticed that many folks on CPF post about how they are having trouble with poor-quality drivers in cheap dropins, etc. I don't know about your time but my time is too valuable to mess around with inexpensive, less-reliable parts - I'd rather have one good custom build than a half-dozen that I can't rely on, that's all. I'm not building lights, but I show respect for the folks that do.