CR123 Rechargeables

tattoosteve99

Newly Enlightened
Ok I have posted a thread before about this and couldnt make heads or tails out of all the mumbo gumbo that was replied. Im new to this stuff so take it easy. I need a good set of rechargables and a charger to go with it. I have just purchased a drop in from lighthound here http://www.lighthound.com//Lighthou...r-SureFire-and-other-Flashlights_p_0-965.html so help me out here. Please just specify batteries needed and maybe a link to find then. BTW you guys are the best. The flashlight is a surefire 6p. Sorry about that. BTW I do not want to bore it in any way. Also need a good charger. Batteries should be able to not under or over charge. Hope im not asking too much. Thanks:nana:

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest AW brand RCR123 or 16340's. And a good smart charger, and a multi-meter.

I believe AW has a sales thread on the marketplace. There's lot's of good info on quality chargers out there already, you just need to search a bit...

carrot

Flashaholic
Hi, you must be careful when using RCR123's because they are not an exact replacement for CR123's. CR123 is a 3.0v battery and RCR123 is a 3.7v (peak of 4.2v) and so will fry many flashlights not designed to use them.

Please specify what you wish to use them in and we will tell you whether you can, or what your options are for rechargeables.

hoongern

Enlightened
Hi, you must be careful when using RCR123's because they are not an exact replacement for CR123's. CR123 is a 3.0v battery and RCR123 is a 3.7v (peak of 4.2v) and so will fry many flashlights not designed to use them.

Please specify what you wish to use them in and we will tell you whether you can, or what your options are for rechargeables.

The drop in he specified is a 3.6V-12.6V drop in so it should work with a various amount of cells - although perhaps not fully regulated on 1 cell.

Last edited:

mdocod

Flashaholic
Options are as follows:
(I'm making an educated guess as to the behavior under each option so don't hold me to it, this is just based on my experience with other modules that likely use similar buck regulators)

1xprotected AW17670:
Lots more runtime (I'm guessing 2-3+ hours) but with ~30% less initial output and dimming to ~50% of initial turn on through the run.

or
2x protected AWRCR123:
Will operate in regulation at the modules maximum potential output through the entire discharge, lasting about 1 hour, at which point, one of the cells protection circuits will trip and lights out.

You MUST use protected cells if you want to prevent over-discharge in the 2xRCR123 application. The 1x17670 option would actually be alright either way but I still suggest protected cells.

As for a charger....

Pila IBC is best,
Everything else is a compromise of safety to save money. The Shekor that's up and being discussed might be the best alternative but I can't say for sure until I test one myself.

Eric

Last edited: