I have bought my last pair of Nike's

Greg G

Enlightened
I understood when Nike stayed silent about the Tiger Woods debacle. After all, what can be said?

The new ad that they have come out with, using Tiger's fathers voice, is just too over the top for me and creepy to the nth degree.

What was Nike thinking? :sigh:

nbp

Flashaholic
This thread won't last long. :shakehead

Unless you actually wanted to talk about athletic shoes, in which case I recommend New Balance. Super comfy, come in wide sizes, and made in the USA. ;)

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
About a week ago, I saw a special on TV (I think is was CNBC) about Nike. Didn't realize the company was that HUGE. The head honcho was creepy. Never bought/owned/wore a pair of Nike shoes, and don't intend to start now.

Hack On Wheels

Enlightened
Doesn't this belong in the Jeers section of CPF Marketplace?

Lol! I think that would be a slight stretch? Creeping someone out isn't exactly failing to deliver a product or lying to/avoiding a customer.

I've never really been a Nike fan, but I haven't seen/heard this ad so I can't really comment. Tiger Woods is certainly not a man of character; however, the same can be said for so many of the people paraded around by the media.

New Balance has treated me well in the past for running shoes and I like my Merrell "Jungle Moc" shoes for casual wear.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
I recommend New Balance. Super comfy, come in wide sizes, and made in the USA. ;)

+1 - great company in New Balance. Although their running shoes don't work for me, I like their tennis shoes quite a bit. And just FYI, not all of their shoes are made in USA... they say that 1/4 of their shoes are US-made (which is still awesome).

:thumbsup: john

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always buy New Balance. I've got a 4e foot and most makers don't make their shoes in 4e, and if they do, it's only a very few models. New Balance makes most of their shoes in a 4e and all of them in at least a 2e. Unfortunately, it turns out the model that fits and feels the best is also their most expensive (and arguably their least attractive). The first pair I paid full retail at the New Balance store--$145+tax-- but the two subsequent pairs I bought off of ebay from a shoe seller that sells store returns/worn once shoes and the first pair cost me about $74 (shipped) and the second pair cost me only $80 (they look absolutely brand new, too). I've got pretty messed up ankles, so I don't mind spending on shoes. Inside the shoes, I've got Aetrex Lynco orthotic inserts, which have really been miracle workers for me. I will most likely keep buying the same pair of shoes and their successive generations (1123, now, which will be replaced by the future 1124s), forever. I have been curious to try the Brooks Beast shoes, though, as I hear they're pretty much the same as the NB 1123s.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
What was Nike thinking?
You are not thinking like an advertising person.
It costs a lot of money to air a commercial on TV to reach all the population. By doing a creepy commercial Nike airs it once paid for. Then all the news shows, sports networks, talk shows airs it for free and spend countless more minutes discussing it. Then Colbert and others start doing parodies providing more free airtime and hits on Youtube. Then threads are started on Facebook, Yahoo, CPF etc. discussing it.
Its called guerilla marketing.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the ad.

I like it, even if it's guerilla marketing. You never see introspection like that in media. Many people try pretty hard to never deal their own problems in their own lives. They never have to look at themselves through clear lenses and really take stock of what they see.

What Woods did was pretty stupid, but owning up to it to this degree (and, I think, learning from it) takes a strong person.

Greg G

Enlightened
Tigers life is his business, but once busted, anyone like Nike that continues to prop him up as a role model to our young people loses respect.

Let the guy deal with his problems in his privacy, and let him play his golf.

And for goodness sake, leave his Dad's words out of it. Very sick twisted form of advertising.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
The New Balance shoes I have owned have last a lot longer than other brands.
New Balance, last years model, and Big 5 have saved me a ton.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Creepy?? More like pathetic. Tiger just stands there with the Nike logo on his hat and shirt, looking sad and pathetic.

As for what he learned . . . Hopefully he learned to treat his wife with some respect.

I'd say pathetic hits the mark. OH, and Im betting the only thing he learned was don't get caught!

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I won't wear things that "celebrities" advertise, nor do I wear apparel that has a maker's logo visible. Therefore in these circumstances I have to say that I'm sorry Tiggie Pooh, despite the fact that I'm in awe of any man who can have so many wimmin and not get even one of them pregnant, I won't buy your shoes. Liked your ad though.

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
I have not seen the ad. We have TiVo so we can avoid commercials when watching tv. If, by chance, I notice that I am skipping over this particular ad...I will continue forward and not watch it. He's a great golfer, but other than that, I can't care less. He never was my idol or role model (and that goes for all celebrities). I only watch them for entertainment, when I need to be entertained.

He got caught, then he hid from the media. That seems like a poor choice in tactics, since it only makes them want to dig deeper and find out more. He employs a very prestigious PR company and I'm sure they'll eventually get everything smoothed over.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I won't wear things that "celebrities" advertise, nor do I wear apparel that has a maker's logo visible. Therefore in these circumstances I have to say that I'm sorry Tiggie Pooh, despite the fact that I'm in awe of any man who can have so many wimmin and not get even one of them pregnant, I won't buy your shoes. Liked your ad though.

According to the ex-adult entertainer he was seeing, he never used protection; and he did get her pregnant. But she decided not to keep the baby. (She's the one who released all of the graphic text messages that he sent her.)

Patriot

Flashaholic
Creepy?? More like pathetic. Tiger just stands there with the Nike logo on his hat and shirt, looking sad and pathetic.

As for what he learned . . . Hopefully he learned to treat his wife with some respect.

I agree with Monocrom. The add was pretty bad.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've ended up with New Balance for my last two pairs. Don't know if any celeb hawks them. Price is king in any case.

Geoff