Default MagLED is an insane thower?

Popsiclestix

Newly Enlightened
How is that the default Mag 3D LED has such an extreme throw when focused onto a spot? Tonight, I decided to bust out my the SMO reflector from my Mag458 and throw it on an unused Mag I had lying around. Then I popped in the 3W LED pill.

This thing throws better than my MagHID with the aspheric >.<

It's even more ridiculous when I put on the FM3X.

The hotspot on my SMO Mag85 looks anemic in comparison.

I hope the XRE R2 that I'm receiving parts for soon makes a more favorable impression.

Last edited:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Default Mag is an insane thower?

Because it has a large, deep reflector.

Jarski

Newly Enlightened

And the filament is so small that more light is concentrated to the throw-beam.

E: lol, op edited or I can't read

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast

LED, not incanny. I think the LED is a much smaller light source than the HID, so the reflector works better for it. I think this says something about the reflector/aspheric efficiency you have!

Illum

Flashaholic

Because it has a large, deep reflector.

its slightly larger than an average consumer grade reflector...but its not all that deep. I think there may be very little gain in stuffing an incandescent down a long smooth parabolic reflector [where the length is twice the diameter] and have it be focuseable. :thinking:

Popsiclestix

Newly Enlightened

LED, not incanny. I think the LED is a much smaller light source than the HID, so the reflector works better for it. I think this says something about the reflector/aspheric efficiency you have!

The HID bulb is quite small. No more than 4 mm^2 surface area, and that thing is pumping out at least 500 lumens in that area.

I have tried the FM3X with the HID and the aspheric lens and the aspheric lens throws slightly better. (I removed the outer bulb protection if anyone was wondering)

Even with the HID with the FM3X, the MagLED w/ stock reflector seems to be the winner here.

Oddly enough, the 3W LED is a poor choice for an aspheric lens. Does anyone know what LED they use? (I'm guessing Lux III?)

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Stock mag optics are pretty good throwers. IMHO thats the one thing the do very well.

Combined with a small surface area die... it doesn't surprise me. My favorite emitter for throw is the XRE-R2 or Q5. I have an R2 with the EZ-900 and it throws very well for a P60.

:thumbsup:

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
The early MagLEDs came with a Luxeon III, which is what I believe that Popsiclestix has because he was swapping between a bulb and an LED (correct me if I'm wrong here). The current generation MagLED uses the Rebel 100 and cannot be changed to an incandescent bulb easily.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
The early MagLEDs came with a Luxeon III, which is what I believe that Popsiclestix has because he was swapping between a bulb and an LED (correct me if I'm wrong here). The current generation MagLED uses the Rebel 100 and cannot be changed to an incandescent bulb easily.

Yes, that is true the older Lux III was a drop in that was the same size as the incan bulb. The newer ones are the Rebels and from what I've heard are somewhat harder to disassemble (but it can be done)

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, that is true the older Lux III was a drop in that was the same size as the incan bulb. The newer ones are the Rebels and from what I've heard are somewhat harder to disassemble (but it can be done)
Yes, it can be disassembled, but, are you implying that you can drop a PR-flange bulb into one after disassembly? This would require a custom-made bulb holder that, to my knowledge, does not exist (yet) or you would need to replace the switch assembly and reflector with the older style switch and reflector (the newer MagLED has a shorter tower with a bigger lamp holder and a deeper reflector compared to the older one).