FENIX TK11 CR123A RUNTIME ?

DrDave

Newly Enlightened
This torch can be used with 123a or 18650, the trouble is that there is only an official runtime figure for 18650 use. I would only use 123a`s and I cannot buy a torch unless I know its runtime with the batteries that I intend to use. Anyone here own this flashlight and can give a good estimate of its runtime .......:thinking:

Also thinking of getting a Surefire 6P LED. Does anyone own both and can tell me some pros and cons of these flashlights .......:thinking:

carl8190

Banned
I own a tk11 and run it on cr123. I use it as a gun light so its turned on and off reguarly and i change the batterys every month to two months but I have used it for house lighting in a power cut and it lasted hours but obiously on high mode not as long. I would recommend the tk11 because its designed for good runtimes and good regulation where the surefire is not and wont last half the time.

Blk02

Newly Enlightened
The 18650 run time is about 1.3 times CR123 run time so just interpolate. I am interested as to why you are buying the TK11.R5 versus the TK12.R5? The TK11 has less modes, no clip, and is more expensive than the TK12 at least on 4sevens website. Simplicity can't be the reason because the TK12 can be left permanently on any mode and operate exactly the same as the TK11. The TK12 even has the same 280 / 65 mode as the TK11. I know the TK11 has a max output of 285 and the TK12 is 280 but that is inperceptable. Please let me know because I might have missed something in my decision making. Below is a response from Fenix on 18650 regulation.

"Hello

Here is Fenix manufacturer in China.

Thank you very much for your attention to Fenix lights.

Yes, the TK11 R5 and TK12 R5 regulate 18650 battery nearly the same, and if compare the CR123A and 18650 in same model, for example, in TK12 R5, 18650 should be better than the CR123A, the runtime when TK12 R5 with 18650 should be about 1.3 times runtime while with CR123A.

Best regards!"

357mag1

Enlightened
This torch can be used with 123a or 18650, the trouble is that there is only an official runtime figure for 18650 use. I would only use 123a`s and I cannot buy a torch unless I know its runtime with the batteries that I intend to use. Anyone here own this flashlight and can give a good estimate of its runtime .......:thinking:

Also thinking of getting a Surefire 6P LED. Does anyone own both and can tell me some pros and cons of these flashlights .......:thinking:

I have the TK11 R2 version and the Surefire P60L. Here is what I can tell you from experience.

Both lights appear to regulate if powered with something close to 6 volts but fall out of regulation using a single Li-Ion.

If you are interested I can list tailcap current readings with various battery configurations for both lights. What Fenix does not tell you about the TK11 running with one Li-Ion battery is it will not be as bright as with two 123a batteries or two Li-Ion batteries.

I have done numerous runtime tests and find I can calculate within a couple of minutes (worse so far is 4 minutes off) if the batteries I'm using are of a known quality. My runtime tests are tests of battery performance.

Calculated runtimes using 123a batteries:
TK11 on Turbo - 1.5 hours
TK11 general mode (loosen head slightly) - 15.5 hours
P60L - 3hours 45minutes

Keep in mind on Turbo the TK11 stomps the P60L for output. In fact the TK11 isn't that much dimmer when in the general mode and is only drawing 96ma of tailcap current compared to 386ma for the P60L.

The TK11 is heavier built and weighs more. The TK11 is Chinese built the Surefire is American built. The TK11 is not easily modified by the average guy the 6P has almost unlimited upgrade potential. The Surefire comes with a lifetime warranty.

If I just wanted a reliable light and never intended to make any changes to it the TK11 would be hard to pass up with a second mode that will allow me to run the light all night if necessary.

Hope that helps.

ToNIX

Enlightened
The 18650 run time is about 1.3 times CR123 run time so just interpolate. I am interested as to why you are buying the TK11.R5 versus the TK12.R5? The TK11 has less modes, no clip, and is more expensive than the TK12 at least on 4sevens website. Simplicity can't be the reason because the TK12 can be left permanently on any mode and operate exactly the same as the TK11. The TK12 even has the same 280 / 65 mode as the TK11. I know the TK11 has a max output of 285 and the TK12 is 280 but that is inperceptable. Please let me know because I might have missed something in my decision making. Below is a response from Fenix on 18650 regulation.

I kept debating between the 2 models, but ended up buying the TK11. As a LEO, I kept hearing good things on the TK11, but couldn't find any infos on the TK12 (even though it uses the same 280/65 output).

I went for the TK11 because
1) I find the design more appealing, it looks more tactical
2) I would have never used the clip on mine. I already have the Quark AA Tactical clipped on my vest (right shoulder)
3) I would have never used the other modes
4) Only 2 modes = simple electronics = less chance of failure (although I might be wrong on this one).

But hey, I might just end up buying the TK12 too, just to compare :whistle:

DrDave

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies, very good runtime for TK11/TK12 on general mode and I also like the option of Turbo mode. Always good to hear from owners about runtime and quality, the more info the better............