Looking to upgrade from Fenix P3D CE...guidance?

Meridian

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I own a Fenix P3D CE and I'm thinking of upgrading, but I'm having trouble finding the light I'm looking for. Here are my responses to the Short Essay Questionnaire.

What do you intend to use this light for?

EDC

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

I am in Asia, Japan or Micronesia. More precisely I am in Thailand

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

I am willing to spend $65-90

2) Format:

I want a flashlight.

3) Length:

3-5.5 inches. (Pocket carry)

4) Width:

I don't care.

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

CR123A's - rechargeable or not, either is fine.

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to read a map, or find a light switch, in a dark room. (5-10 lumens)
____I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

Additional comments: I'd like a light that can do a max of at least 220 lumens, and a low of 5 lumens or less.

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)----X-----------------|----------------------Flood/close-up

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

____60-240 min. (1-2 hours)

At least 1 hour, preferably 2 or more.

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)

8) Switch Type:

____I want a "clickie" switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)
____I want a momentary switch. (Only stays on while held down.)

I'd like a combo. Really wish the P3D CE had a momentary switch!

9) Switch Location:

____I want a push switch on the back end of the body.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
I want a strobe mode. (blinks to show location.)

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

I want a metal-bodied light.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

- Size should be approximately the same as the P3D CE (about 11 cm), which imo, strikes a good balance between size and usability.
- Should use 2 CR123As. One just doesn't give enough run time, imo.
- The closest I've come so far are the the Nightcore SR3 but with 2 batteries, or the Fenix T20, but smaller and cheaper?

Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions!

- Meridian

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
EagleTAC is coming out with a PC20C2 soon. Same size as the P3D but outputs up to 300 lumens out the front(380 emitter lumens).
The only thing that doesn't match what you are looking for is it is more of a floody beam.

Also check out the Jetbeam RRT-0. You will have to read some reviews on it to understand how cool this little light is. But it is a little above your price range.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even though the Eagletac P20C2 MKII has a larger head then the P3D I find that while using the included holster you really don't notice the extra size and IMO the extra size is well worth the extra output and throw. The beam is a good mix of throw and bright spill but it is definitely a upgrade in throw over the P3D.

http://www.eagletac-usa.com/products/product.aspx?pid=1-4-6863

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
sounds like the quark 123-2 tactical would be right. but the throw isnt great especially with the XP-G emitters.

consider the surefire LX2. i know its about double the price, but it throws great, size is smaller than it seems to be. arguably the best production 2x cr123a light there is.