Apparently some people are not flashaholics

nbp

Flashaholic
My buddy's younger sister just came home from an 8 month stay in the Dominican Republic where she was volunteering her time to teach. Before she left she had told us that the place she was staying didn't have running water and electricity was spotty, depending on when the generators were running and running well.

Flashaholic to the rescue! Poor lighting you say? I'll solve that! As she is like a sister to me I told her I'd get her a decent light. So I got her a Quark AA. I saw her tonight and asked if she got some good use out of that flashlight with all the power outages.

She replied it worked well for about a month and then the battery died and she never bought new ones so she had been using candles! :ohgeez: :shakehead

I could not believe it. I didn't tell her that was a $57 flashlight and that I specifically got the 1xAA for her so it would be as cheap and easy as possible to power it and that I was a little disappointed that it got relegated to the junk drawer and that if she didn't want it I'd take it back. I didn't say any of those things. Maybe she'll come around still.

Apparently some people just aren't flashaholics. :sigh:

Burgess

Flashaholic
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

:hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull::hairpull:

:mecry::mecry::mecry::mecry::mecry:

Flashlight Enthusiast
In that situation it might be more feasible to use a candle than a flashlight. People's eyes will be adapted to low kelvin dim lighting, might not be worth it to replace batteries in a flashlight when you have a readily available supply of candles that won't blind other people.

Though I would be bummed if I was in your position. Just make sure you gift yourself next time you think about being nice. :p

Grayblue

Newly Enlightened
If the purpose is just to have light in a room, then candle might be better.

I'd reserve flashlight for looking for something specific.

Unless I'm paying for the candle or the match that is....

Zendude

Enlightened
Your heart was in the right place.:thumbsup:

Maybe AA's were in short supply. :shrug:

Worked well on one battery for about a month ehh......sounds pretty good to me.

Last edited:

jblackwood

Enlightened
I feel you, man. Just came home from visiting my brother (who lives less than a mile from my house, so not a long drive). I was looking around on his shelf and thinking to myself "Self, how could you have given him a Nitecore D10 which he promptly lost?" That was about a year ago after I got my first one. Since then, I got trit pistons for both of my D10s and a clip for one of them. Lo and behold I saw his D10 sitting prettily there with the lanyard attached! :rock: I asked him in as measure a voice as possible "dude, you found your flashlight!" His reply:
"Oh yeah, about a month ago. It's really useful for feeding my daughter at night since it comes on so low when I want it to (without a preflash . . . ok, ok, I added that last part)."

I was ecstatic that not only had he found his light, he actually used it regularly! Now . . . to gift him an HID . . . :devil:

I guess what I'm trying to say is, there may be hope for your friend's sister after all! :D

McAllan

Enlightened
I believe it's not so much about being a flashaholic as it is about having a basic technical knowledge.
She's probably forgotten that flashlights needs batteries to work.

I've numerous times "repaired" peoples remotes. Suddenly they complaint their TV don't work or only works with the buttons the on TV. Every time they're surprised that a remote control need batteries :eek: :ohgeez: :hairpull: :banghead:

Noctis

Enlightened
I feel you, man. Just came home from visiting my brother (who lives less than a mile from my house, so not a long drive). I was looking around on his shelf and thinking to myself "Self, how could you have given him a Nitecore D10 which he promptly lost?" That was about a year ago after I got my first one. Since then, I got trit pistons for both of my D10s and a clip for one of them. Lo and behold I saw his D10 sitting prettily there with the lanyard attached! :rock: I asked him in as measure a voice as possible "dude, you found your flashlight!" His reply:
"Oh yeah, about a month ago. It's really useful for feeding my daughter at night since it comes on so low when I want it to (without a preflash . . . ok, ok, I added that last part)."

I was ecstatic that not only had he found his light, he actually used it regularly! Now . . . to gift him an HID . . . :devil:

I guess what I'm trying to say is, there may be hope for your friend's sister after all! :D
Not to be a buzz kill, but I'm 99% sure that women are just genetically incompatible with flashlights. :shakehead

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
thats heartbreaking!

i feel you though, i gave my dad a couple of lights, then found out he gave 1 away to someone else.

noticed my sister had a AAA maglite on her car keys (i think she did that for me, because i love flashlights so much) so i secretly replaced it with a itp A3. and she never even uses that set of keys.

gave a zebralight h501 to a mechanic friend, and he ended up giving it to his wife. whom im sure never uses it.

seems like using a flashlight is just too much trouble for some.

bluepilgrim

Enlightened
It sounds to me like there might be something went wrong with that light -- you should ask her to leave it with you for a while so you can check it to make sure it is working right -- give her a cheap little light to use in the meantime. :whistle:

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
O MAN! I feel your pain.

Last week I bought a Quark mini AA for the missus because she liked my EX10 so much.

But, she would always twist the head of the EX10 to turn it off, so I figured she liked twisties. I also figured the AA format would be better suited as she would know what battery to buy if she were out and about and needed a new one.

O CRAPPPP!!! Was I WRONG!!:oops:

After two days she decided I was worthy of communicating with (she needed my man strength) and said she did not want the mini AA, "I'll just use one of your others."
icon8.gif

Narcosynthesis

Newly Enlightened
Sadly it isn't 'some people are not flashaholics' but 'most people aren't flashaholics'...

Away outside with my group of scouts the other night, somewhat scary counting the few people that actually thought to bring a light with them, despite the fact they knew it would be pitch dark long before we would be done...
On the plus side, I had rather a lot of fun playing with my Mag 3d with newly fitted LED ;)

nbp

Flashaholic
You sent her to a place with no running water without any spare batteries? :confused:

HER apartment didn't have running water. They had to haul it up. But she did live in a reasonably large town. Plus they traveled regularly to the capital city where I KNOW she couldve gotten cells. I mean, they even had an IKEA. If she wanted to, they were available.

pilote

Newly Enlightened
Sadly it isn't 'some people are not flashaholics' but 'most people aren't flashaholics'...

...exactly...i got some nice flashlights, but i'm no "flashaholic"; i just like to purchase and use the best tools i can afford...and then stop buying them when i got what i need.