Surefire Lx2????

jac2001

Newly Enlightened
Just curious if anyone knows what LED Surefire uses in the Lx2?

Thanks,

J

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
It a Cree XR-E, probably an R2 bin by now. My LX2, using bounce with light meter, shows higher lux numbers than my Malkoff M60, getting pretty close to my Malkoff M61.

Bill

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes I wonder what the beam profile would be like if an XP-G is used over the XR-E. Would the TIR behave differently with XP-G emitter? Would it throw better and brighter or would it be even more floody?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
You have probably read enough here on CPF to know that the optic used by SF for the XR-E would not work with an XP-G. The focus of the LEDs are different with the XP-G producing a Luxeon Lambertein wide focus type beam, and XR-E producing a narrow focused beam. Not much out there for the XP-G in the way of optics, but plenty if you want to use a reflector.

Bill

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Bill, I don't seem to recall having read any of this. Not that I really needed to know but just curious so did not see the need to do a search for it. But thanks anyway, you just confirmed what I have been suspecting in regards to using XP-G in LX2.

jac2001

Newly Enlightened
From what I can see through the optics, I thought the R2 as well, but wasn't sure. Thought maybe some has already cracked one open.

Thanks,

J

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I only suspect that mine is an R2 bin. Yes, we don't really know which bin of any LED that SF uses.

Bill