Need help with a compact duty light...

whozyodaddy

Newly Enlightened
I have been reading on this site for a few weeks now and am a little overwhelmed! The information is endless!

I am a police officer and am trying to figure out a better primary duty light or options for what I have. I read through the LE specific topics, but didn't really find what I was looking for.

In the past I have carried a SL Strion, a SL TL-2. I also have available to me a SL PolyStinger. I don't like any of them for various reasons, mainly a lack of power. Although, I do like the incan light "color".

Recently I purchased a Fenix TK12 and a TK10. I like them for their size, features, build and brightness. However, I have found some issues that I need help with.... I use them primarily in the turbo mode for the most amount of light (ie: car stops and field contacts), but they eat batteries more quickly than I thought they would which gets expensive. The other issue is that I really don't care for how "blue" the light is. In talking to others around me who use lights with the blue tint, they said I would get used to it, but I haven't. Also, I work in an area that is often rainy and misty/foggy, which I don't think the blue tint works well in.

I understand that I have options for rechargheable batteries and am considering that, even though it is a bit of a hassle due to where to keep the charger, how to always have fresh batteries, etc.

I guess my questions are primarily: what can I do about the color tint issue and the battery consumption? I am not opposed to different lights at all, but don't want to spend loads of money or have some custom complicated ninja light. Simple is often best.

Go easy on me, I'm new here! Thanks!

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out Jetbeam. They have some very nice lights, and alot of their lights can use RCR123's/16340's or 18650's or primary batteries.

For extended runtime with these lights, I would suggest buying a good quality (read, not cheap) Lithium ion charger and 4-6 18650's. Purchase protected cells from AW (high quality cells). Yes, AW are relatively expensive, but they are well made, have good customer service, and I have read 0 reports of any going bad (namely, venting explosively), in all the threads about bad Li-ions.

I believe AW has a sales thread in the Marketplace, and their own website. If you want to post on the Marketplace, you'll have to register there separately (same user-name makes everything easier).

Alternatively, take a look at the many P60 drop-ins available from our resident custom makers, or from Malkoff devices. You'll be amazed at all the combinations of things, flood/throw, battery choices, number or modes, LED types, etc.

If you are still interested in 18650's, but want a cool P60 drop-in, take a gander around the Marketplace for a Surefire 6P/C2 etc. bored to 18mm internal diameter. You'll get a very high quality host, that can run good cells, and can use some very nice custom dropins.
------------------------------------

You say you like the "incandescent" look. Then look for a light or drop-in that uses a neutral or warm color temperature LED. You'll lose some output compared to cold white LED's, but colors will appear more natural, and the spectrum of the light won't illuminate fog/rain/snow as much.

BIGLOU

Enlightened
+1 on the Jetbeam get the Jet III-M FTW. It has a clip you could put in your sap pocket or get a holder for you sam brown. Uses 18650's and you could have two CR123s as spare.

Bullet120

Banned
I have the TK30 2x18650 setup as my primary duty light. I weighed it at 277 grams (with 4x123 at the time) compared to a classic stinger at 276 grams. It puts out TONS of light for it's size and I like the color better than any of my led's. It is much more white to yellow and certainly doesn't appear blue to me against other LEDs I have experience with. If you want smaller, you can always use it with one 18650. It would beat any other light you listed as using previously. I carry an extra set of cells in addition to an SR90 in the car and a classic stinger with terralux drop in on the belt. I have prettty much retired the ultrastinger and SL-20.

While I can't say I have l lot of experience outside Streamlight and the listed lights, I can say I love the TK30 and is worth every penny in our line of work.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire C2/C3 with a Malkoff M60/M61...and whatever ya fancy for a secondary light.

HPIM0968-1.jpg

Also available in black :thumbsup:

carrot

Flashaholic
I second the Malkoff route.

However, I would recommend the MD2 instead of the C2 or 6P for the sole reason that it will let you use 18650 rechargeable batteries.

Pick up some AW 2600mAh 18650s and a charger and you'll be all set. They will offer a similar runtime to what you get now but you can recharge them when the day is over.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 to everything Carrot said. I don't know how their stock levels are at the moment, I think the M60 and M61 are sold out right now. (BTW, I recommend the M61)

whozyodaddy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help and BTW, I carry my Strion as a back-up light. It's department issued, so I figured I'd use it and it fits in my cargo pocket.

I looked at the JetBeam and it seems to be what I need in a light (a clip is required as I carry my light on my drop leg Taser rig). The Olight M20 also seems to be an option. Based on one of the reviews I looked at, it also appears to have a warmer tinted beam. Any thoughts?

I am open to build something too, I just need to know what to buy and where to get decent prices (again, the amount of info on this site is just crazy!).

What I need is:
* A sturdy light
* A sturdy pocket clip
* A clicky tailcap
* Decent runtime (better than my TK12)
* As much light as possible in a warm incan type color
* The size of TK, 6P, etc.

What I would also like is:
* A strike type bezel
* 2-3 modes of brightness
* Decent throw and spill
* Rechargeable battery options
* Under $80-$100

Any ideas? I see the drop in's mentioned a lot but I'm still learning and not sure what drop in works with what light body, batteries, etc. Thanks again for all the help!