Need help on upgrading my lights

boondongle

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to start upgrading my stock lights, but I don't have much information to start with. I've modded other small electrical devices, so I can work a dremel and soldering iron, but this would be my first time trying to upgrade flashlights. So, I don't want to do anything that involves custom maching or fabrication or anything along those lines. I'd be looking for ideas ranging from simple drop-in modules and battery swaps to soldering/electrical work and drilling, if that makes sense.

So here's what I'm working with:

UltraFire WF-500
I've found several drop-in modules, and the one I'm most interested in at the moment is a SSC-P7-CSXO 3-Mode module. It claims to be 900 lumens, but I'm sure that's inflated. Is there a brighter drop-in module out there? Alternately, is there a way to bump up the output with an incandescent upgrade? I plan to keep this one in my car, so utility is most important...lots of modes are good, and so is light output.

Solar Force L1200
I really don't have any idea where to go with this one. It's pretty bright right now, but replacement bulbs are $20. Can I swap out other bulbs in this one (brighter is better, of course)? Alternately, is there an LED module that would be at least equal to the current light output? If so, what size (e.g. p60, d36, M2, etc.) would be needed? I just want to get this one as bright as possible, while still keeping battery life decent (enough to last an evening while camping).

Inova x1
I like the size of this light, and that's about it. This was the first flashlight I bought that started getting me interested, so it would be great to find a way to do something to increase the power on this one. My issue with this is that I don't even know how to access the LED module, as that end is glued or press fitted, and I don't want to mess around without having a plan that won't lead to mangling the light. I've read about the "freeze pop" method, and I'm okay with giving that a shot, but I'd still need suggestions on what to put in place of the stock LED and/or reflector. For this one, I'd really just be looking for maximum light output...I don't really care about battery life or mult-mode function.

As I said, I'm okay with soldering and drilling, but nothing that requires specialized shop tools. I've got a drill, a dremel, and a soldering iron, and I live in an apartment, so my options are a bit limited. Any advice or information would be welcome at this point, even if it's just to say, "Hey man, you're going about this whole thing the wrong way."

wquiles

Flashaholic
Like Daniel I don't know about those specific lights, but I wanted to pass along a post I wrote earlier this year about some things to considering when making flashlight modifications, specially LED lights:
link ...

Good luck!

Will

DM51

Flashaholic
I'm moving your thread to the Homemade & Modified section, as I think it will fit better there.

boondongle

Newly Enlightened
While looking at parts and DIY stores, I didn't see much for drivers/emitters that can fit inside an AA body. The Inova has an inner diameter of 14.25mm. Does anyone make a driver and/or emitter board in this size?

Also, that got me thinking that I might also want to think about modding my Romisen RC-A8. It's a great light, with a wonderful form factor, and it's just small enough to keep in your front pocket. It's a solid light as is, but I was wondering if anyone knows of some relatively easy mods to increase the light output.