RRT-3 or Legion II SST-50 or...?

riccardo

Enlightened
Hello guys,
I'm new on this forum but I've already read almost all discussions that I found about this two lamps. I hope you'll be so kind to help me clearing my ideas..

I'd like to buy something producing over 1000 lumen in an almost compact form. It must be a good all-purpose light, with a good beam, not to narrow neither too floody.. well made and durable. I will not use this lamp very often but I will for many years and It should be always working without surprises.

I'm really tempted by the RRT-3 but I like also the Legion II.. I can't decide..! A few considerations:

- I like the selector ring of the RRT-3, I think it is really simple and immediate.
- I like also the design of the Legion II ring but I'm concerned about the UI, how do you find it? As far as I understood, it doesn't have fixed position, one per setting, like the RRT-3..
- Level settings: It would had been perfect if these light had a 30-50 lumen lower setting for > 20h operation (indoor use in case of prolongated main AC failure). The RRT-3 1 lumen lower setting is too low, I guess it is just for tactical use if you need to see something really close without being seen from far..
- strobe, I don't know if I'll ever use it, but if you need to catch attention of people it could be useful. It's a pity that it's missing in the Legion II
- Quality of construction and materials... anyone can compare this two lamps? It seem that the RRT-3 is at the top.. but what about Legion II? Comparable?
- What about running them at the maximum output for long time, which is behaving better??

If you know about other similar flashlights (> 1000 lumen, single or multi emitter) having similar characteristic post here your suggestions!!

To kill time while deciding I just ordered a cheap trustfire tr-1200 from DE, I know it's almost a toy and there's good probability to receive a malfunctioning or broken item, but I was curious about it. Anyway I still have to receive it..

Regards,
Riccardo

HKJ

Flashaholic
To really want to get a powerful led light, look at the OLight SR90.

I can not yet tell anything about the RRT-3, but Legion and a lot of other light are covered in this beamshot.

On the legion you program a left and right level and can easily shift up/down when the light is on. But the total brightness adjustment range is a bit limited on Legion (For most tasks that will not be a problem).

Last edited:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think Legion II is a great custom flashlight and people forget about the fact that it's a custom flashlight and not mass produced like Jetbeams. I love my Legion II and I plan on having it upgraded to the SST-50 version myself.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I think Legion II is a great custom flashlight and people forget about the fact that it's a custom flashlight and not mass produced like Jetbeams. I love my Legion II and I plan on having it upgraded to the SST-50 version myself.

That "upgrade" is a bit overrated, I do not believe that there is a huge difference. In fact, my MC-E is brighter than my SST-50. But then my MC-E is from the initial batch, not from the production run.

riccardo

Enlightened
To really want to get a powerful led light, look at the OLight SR90.

I can not yet tell anything about the RRT-3, but Legion and a lot of other light are covered in this beamshot.

On the legion you program a left and right level and can easily shift up/down when the light is on. But the total brightness adjustment range is a bit limited on Legion (For most tasks that will not be a problem).

Yes, the SR90 it's a monster but definitely not wat I'm looking for: too heavy, too big, not adjustable enough in brightness.. still a great lamp but not a 'general purpose'..

I really like the Legion outlook but, after studying more the 3d you linked, I think it have a too narrow beam.. compared with all the others is by far the narrower.

The M2S seems to be more wide at close range mantaining still a good throw, I can't say anything about the RRT-3 but I hope it's closer to this..

The RRT-3 selection ring seem to be really simple and switching between any level should be really fast.

I'm getting closer to the RRT-3, does anyone know if it is programmed like the M2S that will keep the max output for 3 minute before dimming?

Between the two, wich will survive better to impacts?

riccardo

Enlightened
Anyway,
the Legion is slightly smaller than the RRT-3 and cost much less, it could be a really good deal but the thing that more concern me is the beam.

in the comparison linked in some previous post it seem that it have a very limited spill, it looks like a pure thrower, not really good for a general purpose light. Can somebody help me in understanding the real kind of beam of this light?

Compared to the TK40 and M2S it seem that the Legion at medium distances is just producing a really sharp edged spot...

HKJ

Flashaholic
I really like the Legion outlook but, after studying more the 3d you linked, I think it have a too narrow beam.. compared with all the others is by far the narrower.

The M2S seems to be more wide at close range mantaining still a good throw, I can't say anything about the RRT-3 but I hope it's closer to this..

It is no surprise that the Legion has a very tight beam, it has a much deeper reflector than M2S.

Lights like TK30 and TK40 has a more shallow reflector than M2S.

The RRT-3 selection ring seem to be really simple and switching between any level should be really fast.

The ring on JetBeams is a very good user interface, easy and fast to use. I hope the ring on RRT-3 lives up to the other JetBeams.

I'm getting closer to the RRT-3, does anyone know if it is programmed like the M2S that will keep the max output for 3 minute before dimming?

I have read somewhere that the RRT-3 is supposed to handle full power without any time limits.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i say go with the RRT-3, it uses 3x 18650 or 6xcr123 (my catapult doesnt fully support cr123, and it would of been really nice if it does).

its fairly compact, and the selector is great to use, i have the RRT-0 and changing output is fast and easy, kinda fun too:cool: . and you always know and can choose what level the light will come on. also makes it fast and easy to safe battery power.

bugoutgearusa.com might still offer 20% off! that would make the light about $250.

The Coach

Enlightened
Customer service for the Legion is a bit dodgy, so you must factor that in too.

This is what kept me from buying one. I have the RRT-3 and Bug Out Gears customer service is second to none. I noticed that Legion has upgraded the website, but my Jetbeam was a lot less (260 including shipping vs. 265 plus 18 shipping).

riccardo

Enlightened
This is what kept me from buying one. I have the RRT-3 and Bug Out Gears customer service is second to none. I noticed that Legion has upgraded the website, but my Jetbeam was a lot less (260 including shipping vs. 265 plus 18 shipping).

So how does rrt-3 behave? Can it stay on max out for more than 3 minute?
What about spill/throw beam profile is closer to a M2S or to the Legion II?

The Coach

Enlightened
I haven't really given it a serious workout yet, so I can't answer the max-out question. The beam, to my eyes is similar to the M2S, but much whiter. :welcome:

nvrdark

Newly Enlightened
I too have been waffling since before Christmas between these two lights. Originally I loved the idea of the Legion II but hesitated on cost, customer service, and not getting rave (not bad just not rave) reviews. Then I got wind of the RRT-3( having an RRT-0 and lovng it) and assumed it was going to be much less expensive making the decision a no brainier. Now from what I am hearing/reading it is not significantly brighter than the M2S and liking the UI on the Legion I am back on the fence. It would be OUTSTANDING if someone who owned all three could publish some beam shots PPPLEASE

riccardo

Enlightened
It would be perfect if somebody who have an RRT-3 could perform some beam comparison with the Legion II or other known flashlights (like the M2S).

It would be really interesting to know the continuous runtime at MAX output of the RRT-3, at least to check if it arrive at least at 10 minute.. just to know if the stupid 3-min limitation has been removed or extended.

Now I'm 99% sure about going for the RRT-3, but I'll keep on thinking another week or two at least.

utlgoa

Enlightened
I have the Led Lenser X21 and it was money well spent. Great optics and the light runs on D-cell batteries. The Flood to Throw feature is another reason to get this light. Yes it is very big, and you'll need the shoulder strap if you plan on walking around with it for an extended period.

So what if the lights not regulated, it's still one of the best lights out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZG9KBtmRtI&feature=related

I also recommend the Ultrafire RL-2088 (1300 Lumen Ostar 6-dye LED) but it may have been discontinued.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/236451

Last edited:

utlgoa

Enlightened
What about the new "Flydragon" Lights? http://www.flydragon.me/goods.php?id=37 They feature the rotory dial illumination ring that's also on the RRT-3. Here are the features for the SST-90 flashlight that's being advertised on Ebay for $335.00, but you could probably get it for $290.00.

Specifications

ItemSpecifications
Note​

Working VoltageDC:6-12V Max voltage of 15Vlow-votage protection for lithium-ion batteries CurrentConstant:7A+/-10%Ensure the light remains safe to handle as the temperature rises from operation.Power consumption25W LEDSST-90 SST-90-W65S-F11-GN100 WN-G4&F3&F4 ,Color temp:6500-6800KOutput1900-2100LM Estimated, testing in progressBattery4- 6x 18650 li-ion
4-6*17650 li-ion
8-12*CR123A
2* C(26650) li-ion
2*D(32650) li-ion;
can also use 6x AA in emergency Note: AA batteries are for emergency use only and can not achieve full power output. Runtime 2D(32650)/6000maH*2,70MinutesModesMulti-group, multi-level and infinite brightness adjustment Rotary control ring and tail switchCircuitHeat and low-voltage protection;
High-efficiency;
DC-DC1Heat protection: Peak temperature threshold is 60-65C (140-149F), exceeding this tempearature will cause the light to switch to a lower output mode and flash warning once per second. When temperature has dropped below the threshold, the light will return to the previous output mode.
2Low-voltage protection*: When the batteries have reached 2.8V - 3.0V per cell, the light will switch to a lower output mode and flash warning twice every three seconds. After 3 minutes, the light will turn off to protect the lithium-ion batteries from over-discharge.Size Length 252mm, Diameter, 60mm (Bezel) ,46mm (Tail)Material 6061 aluminum, Type 2 anodizingWeight (net) 580gExcluding batteries and accessoriesOperation

Last edited:

riccardo

Enlightened
What about the new "Flydragon" Lights? http://www.flydragon.me/goods.php?id=37 They feature the rotory dial illumination ring that's also on the RRT-3. Here are the features for the SST-90 flashlight that's being advertised on Ebay for $335.00, but you could probably get it for $290.00.

It's probably a monster and it is not heavy like the Olig, it looks really portable .. but, aesthetic is really.. :eek: ..ok, I'm not interested in that big kung-fu-style lens, I can use the standard head, in such configuration isn't bad.

Anyway, not much information jet, it have the ring interface with an "infinite brightness adjustment" that we do not know how it is working. The price is not so cheap to justify, to me, a try..